Author Topic: 7 year old seeds sprouted with no problem.  (Read 2925 times)

Offline louis

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
7 year old seeds sprouted with no problem.
« on: January 03, 2007, 04:57:14 PM »
happy new year everyone,

every fall i plant my summers crop of seeds, hoping for the one plant that will shock the world. so far nothing to speak of.

However, I am trying an experiment this year. besides planting some seeds from this past summer, I  also planted some 7 year old tropical seeds from crosses i made back then. they have been stored in amber pill bottles with a desiccant pill. they were collecting dust on a shelf in a cabinet.

there are seeds from three different crosses, one from a cross between jack wood and star of siam, and the other two batches were chance seed pods.

i had about a 50 percent germination rate, and they are growing very strongly. i planted the seeds in the middle of november of 2006.

i am not sure how long tropical seeds will be viable. this is an interesting experiment.

it was difficult to get a decent photo of the seedlings with the glare of the grow lights, however this image will give you an idea.

the silver object to the top of the photo is a stainless backup heater. water temp is a constant 85 degrees and the lights are on for 16 hours a day.

lou

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: 7 year old seeds sprouted with no problem.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2007, 05:08:28 PM »
They look good Lou,

I am also revisiting some seed from many years ago as well. I had a batch of seed that I germinated in a jar that I had planned to pot up but never got around to it. I noticed many of the seedlings deteriorating so I tossed the whole batch into the heated pond on the patio. Hopefully some of them will take. I noticed a few that had solid red rosettes of  underwater leaves. If one of them takes and survives I will be happy.

Best of luck with your seedlings.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2007, 04:48:21 PM »
Hey Lou,

I have a whole drawer of "old" seed. Might need to dust them off and see what I get.<g>  Got in a treasure trove of Aussie seed today!  Three color forms of violacea, N alexii, N elleniae, 2 forms of N. georginae, N. hastifolia, three kinds of gigantea and two of immutabilis.

Out to keep me busy for awhile.<g>  If and when I get it to grow out and tuber there should be some new stuff if you want to give it a try.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2007, 05:13:44 PM »
Hey Lou,

I have a whole drawer of "old" seed. Might need to dust them off and see what I get.<g>  Got in a treasure trove of Aussie seed today!  Three color forms of violacea, N alexii, N elleniae, 2 forms of N. georginae, N. hastifolia, three kinds of gigantea and two of immutabilis.

Out to keep me busy for awhile.<g>  If and when I get it to grow out and tuber there should be some new stuff if you want to give it a try.

hi craig,

i would love to give them a try. thanks for the offer..

lou

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2007, 09:02:07 AM »
Every time I see Raspberry Sorbet bloom I speak of it!  So, Louis, your first statement is wrong! 
Craig, my buddy, my pal.  I had a pool malfunction in the pool that has the Im. you sent me...  I couldn't believe that 4 adult goldfish and 6 babies could survive for I don't know how long, in about 2 cups of water.  The fish survived, but I don't thing the Im. liked it.  I had a few that sprouted, then the "malfuntion".  I think I killed them... >:(-
Could you save this idiot a few tubers too?   o(:-)
Tammie

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2007, 04:11:35 PM »
I can't say for sure Tammie, seems to be asking for an awful lot.  Give me some time to think about it...while you answer the question in my PM.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline louis

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Lou's Views
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2007, 04:14:36 PM »
Every time I see Raspberry Sorbet bloom I speak of it!  So, Louis, your first statement is wrong! 
Craig, my buddy, my pal.  I had a pool malfunction in the pool that has the Im. you sent me...  I couldn't believe that 4 adult goldfish and 6 babies could survive for I don't know how long, in about 2 cups of water.  The fish survived, but I don't thing the Im. liked it.  I had a few that sprouted, then the "malfuntion".  I think I killed them... >:(-
Could you save this idiot a few tubers too?   o(:-)
Tammie

you are too kind, thanks tammie.

luigi

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2007, 11:03:00 AM »
Hey Lou,

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 06:08:51 PM »
Looks good Louis I hope soem day to be able to grow some more seedlings. I just dont have the room in this house.

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2007, 09:40:30 AM »
I started another new batch of tropical waterlily seed from the same 7 year old batch I spoke of earlier in reference to Lou's post on or about January 3rd, 2007.

Out of approximately 100 seeds I have germination showing the "Filiform" leaf on eight seedlings. This is only after nine days. I expect many more to germinate out of this batch but am truly impressed that with such old seed I am still seeing any germination at all. Perhaps keeping them in plastic Ziplock seed bags and in the crisper of the refrigerator has prolonged their viability.

I will post more as I see further germination.

Cheers,
Sean
« Last Edit: January 12, 2007, 09:53:30 AM by Sean »
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2007, 02:00:39 PM »
Hey Guys,
It's wonderful that these old seeds will sprout. I only started a few of the ones Craig sent. I'm storing the rest to start in the future. What would be the best way to store these? They are on the book case in my office in the cool basement. Would it better if they were stored in the frig?
I can't wait to see your new blooms.

I also think that raspberry sorbet is one of the prettiest flowers I've seen.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Sean

• Administrator
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2007, 04:02:20 PM »
Hi Maryvonne,

The fridge seems to be working for me.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"