Author Topic: Pond photo from today...  (Read 2971 times)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond photo from today...
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:02:41 PM »
Ok, I have been very hesitant to post a pic of my new pond, for several reasons; 1. I did a crappy job on the tile. I bought tile from Lowe's, and it was recycled glass, from Spain, but instead of it having a mesh back, it had some type of string holding the rows of tile together. Never, I repeat, NEVER buy tile with this type of backing. Each tile moves, it's impossible to get level, and the strings can end up showing through even after grouting. You can't burn them off, you can't cut them off. PITA.

2. For the amount of lilies I have-4, and want, the pond should have consumed 3/4 of my patio. (625 sq. ft. )lol Nevertheless, I knew before I even finished the top that I was going to want it bigger, but before that, it seemed pretty big for the space....that was until I put 4 lilies in it. One with 12 inch pads...now, it's too small. Word to the wise-go big, or go home.  ;D So, now for next year, I am considering expanding it, somehow. I am out of space for more planters. The planters in the back are new as of last week, both have Dallas lilies in them, but I want something tall with color in them too, eventually, but my money is very tight right now, so that will have to wait.

In the pond are a Bob Trickett, 2 white Nymphaea odorata, and a Lemon Mist, which I think will be opening it's first bud tomorrow. YEAH!! Finally!! It now has 3 buds though, so that's a good thing. Plants are Teacup Taro, and an umbrella palm, which I am never going to run out of, LOL.

Lastly, it's a micro-mini pond compared to most of you here, about 350 gallons, but trust me, if I had the space, my pond would be bigger than my house... ;)

Anyway, here it is, critique away.....

The pond;

(yesterday morning)

Today;

Today's Blooms;

Trickett- I thought this was a cool shot, looks like it's floating in air, since the stem is in the shade;

Same Bloom- top

New bloom today;

And last, but not least, my ever faithful Odorata, which is blooming everyday;

Hopefully, Lemon Mist will open tomorrow, and some of these will still be up. It would be nice to see another color in there.

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
Re: Pond photo from today...
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:09:41 PM »
Beautiful! Think you did a great job, what a lush lanai! Great photos also!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 08:46:10 PM »
Beautiful yard, beautiful pond.

Looks to me you have room for about 20 more tropical lilies.
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »
Wow, now that's a gorgeous pond!  Very elegant and the tile looks lovely!  The light colored lilies go so well with your tiling and patio furniture--I love the tropical look of your outdoor space.  I would be entertaining out there a lot!  Your pics are great too!   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 05:12:46 AM »
 I for one love it!  ;D
 And, in reality you actually have more than one pond...I see a number of container water gardens on that patio of yours too.. they do count as well  ;D
 If you do decide to add more tropicals, probably just use the dixie cup method of planting them.  :)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 06:10:07 AM »
You will find you never have enough space but with that said your pond is beautiful.  Your tile work looks nice and also patio floor is very nice.  The whole look is very lovely.  You should be proud of your work!

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 07:09:58 AM »
very nice . i find it interesting that no matter what i have the other persons always looks better to me . . .peace

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:28:47 AM »
You have a lovely pond, plants, & patio  O0 O0 O0
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 07:44:15 AM »
Looks good to me! o(:-)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 07:48:12 AM »
It is absolutely gorgeous!  O0  I really like what you and the tiles look great to me.  The waterlilies are beautiful and your yard is very nice and neat.   o(:-)

Kuan

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 10:06:01 AM »
Thanks everyone.

Jessica; thanks! I just look at the tile, and think I really screwed it up. I'm a perfectionist though.  But I really appreciate the nice comments.

Magoo; LOL...yeah, where could I possibly put 20 more lilies?  lol I guess I could get rid of the table... ;)

Kittyzee; I haven't really had the opportunity to entertain out there, and it seems like every time I start planning something, something else comes up. And I've been here 10 years, LOL...but yeah, I'd love to have parties out there.

Greenthumbnails, actually I do have another pond too, a small in ground...it's in the gallery here as well, from 2009. But let me see if I have a more updated photo. I don't have the normal fish in it, but do have Clown Loaches and Mollies. A couple of the loaches have been in there for a over a year, and have gotten about 3", but they are totally nocturnal. The newer ones do come out during the day. I have another planter as well, still water, that has 5 Mollies in it. it's mostly in the shade though, because the water heats up too much.

Ok, couldn't find an updated small pond pic, so I went and took a couple. This pond is in need of some attention...bamboo, waterfall, things need to be cleaned up.

The whole view;

My fishies in the small pond...minus the big nocturnal loaches...

AND, since Mollies are live bearers, and this one has been without a mate for months, Imagine my surprise a couple of weeks ago when I found 19 fry in the pond!! Only one is/was left when this was taken. I didn't even know it was in the pic until later on. Apparently, mollies can store their sperm for a year, so she may not be done yet....

There is a pygmy lily in there as well, but I don't expect it to bloom, or ever get that full, since it only gets a few hours of sun a day. Most days I have an umbrella over it, because the hot sun kills the live moss, and heats up the water. But a few days a week, I don't put the umbrella over it.

Well, thanks again everyone, I feel a bit better about it.  :) The lemon mist didn't open today, so maybe tomorrow I will have a bloom, and will post a pic.

Oh, and if you want to go to the gallery and see my older photos, it's here;

http://www.americanponders.com/forum/index.php?topic=9255.0

(looking back, the small pond looked great, compared to the...aged appearance of it now. I need to work on that...)

« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 11:03:19 AM by Lynne22 »

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 11:12:43 AM »
I think it is just beautiful. Looks wonderful to me.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2011, 11:36:10 AM »
Looks great to me too--I actually like the 'aged' look, because it's established and has some moss on the rocks (which I love)--it's calming and meditative.  The whole view of your patio is awesome, especially that chair which I would have my hiney parked in with my feet on that ottoman and reading!! You have created an oasis!  Congratulations!   8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2011, 01:31:15 PM »
 8-)~  Very pretty---peaceful and relaxing

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2011, 02:57:19 PM »
Hey Kittyzee, I got a great deal on that chair. Got it online, so if you are interested in getting one, PM me and I will tell you where to go. I do love it, and it's all aluminum. I got tired of buying a new chair every few years, because everything rust so bad/fast here, so I spent a bit more, and it's very nice quality. Thanks for the compliments!

Vickie & Sue, thanks so much for the nice words!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2011, 08:41:22 PM »
I love it!  The whole setting is so neat and beautiful.   I would be living out there!

tink

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2011, 04:03:44 AM »
Thanks Tinkster, I do live out there! More than I am inside, even when it's hot and humid. But, I'd love to have your yard and your pond.  O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2011, 04:42:30 PM »
Sorry to say I think your pond would look a lot better if ....it were in my backyard!   ;D  Your new pond is fabulous as well as the rest of your beautiful garden.  I like the large water pots next to the wall too.  I can't imagine having such large pads growing in my pond...there'd be no room for anything else.  Very pretty blooms!

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2011, 02:49:04 AM »
Sorry to say I think your pond would look a lot better if ....it were in my backyard!   ;D  Your new pond is fabulous as well as the rest of your beautiful garden.  I like the large water pots next to the wall too.  I can't imagine having such large pads growing in my pond...there'd be no room for anything else.  Very pretty blooms!

LOL, the tropical pads are taking over the pond, but I manage to keep them semi restrained with some bamboo skewers on a few of them. Otherwise they'd jump right out of the pond! If the Dallas lilies in those big pots don't do well this year,- and they aren't so far- next year there will be lotus in those pots.  O0

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2011, 09:27:44 AM »
Interesting approach!

I've heard that talking to your plants can make a difference, but I hadn't considered threatening them. . .

Might have to try that.   :thumbup:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2011, 12:18:48 PM »
Interesting approach!

I've heard that talking to your plants can make a difference, but I hadn't considered threatening them. . .

Might have to try that.   :thumbup:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

LOL Mike. I don't really think of it as threatening....more like persuading... ;)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2011, 01:12:51 PM »
Very nice and so very tasteful! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2011, 04:15:55 PM »
I think it is very beautiful! Tile looks great to me! I like the whole space you have, and the picture of the lily in mid air.
Kathy

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2011, 08:57:16 AM »
Thanks Jerry & Perplexed ponder. I have always wanted a bigger pond. Still do.  {:-P;; lol

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"