Author Topic: Going to San Francisco in 2 days!  (Read 1227 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Going to San Francisco in 2 days!
« on: July 14, 2011, 07:20:22 AM »
Haven’t been there in 30 years! My husband is going for meetings and will be tied up most of the time, but my 28 year old son will be joining us, as he moved to Irvine last fall.

I just found out YESTERDAY! that I am going, because after 6 weeks of interviewing with a company, they finally offered my husband a job! YIPPEEEEEE! @O@

A little background - we lived in Reno 30 years ago, and my husband and I did all the touristy places there many times a year. My son was last there with us when he was 18 months old, but has also been there once in his adult life, and has also done Lombard Street, Fisherman’s Wharf, Golden Gate Park, etc.

Sooooooooo my question to you all is… what/where should my son and I go during the days - we will be there til Wednesday, so 3 full days. Alcatraz is totally sold out! PHOOEY! I’ve been there twice, but he has never been.

Anyone know of some fun, good, off the beaten track sites/places to go? We will not have a car, so we’ll focus on being in the city. He wants to go to Anchor Brewing Company - I will humor him on that, as I don’t drink beer.  :P We will also go to Haight Ashbery - he’s been to a skater shop there he wants to return to, I love looking around there.

So where else should we go, people??? Having only had 3 days notice, I’m starting to get a bit hyped up with not having any plans. Don’t want to waste time there trying to find stuff to do.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Going to San Francisco in 2 days!
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2011, 08:48:41 AM »
Muir Woods in Marin County, just over the bridge. t is darn near a religious experience!

My son, by the way went to UC Irvine.
Any chance of you coming to So Cal?  If so we will take you sight seeing!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 08:26:00 PM »
Golden Gate Park!!!!  Check out the conservatory and the lakes.  Japanese Tea Garden is gorgeous.

IF you have time to drive out to Napa and/or Sonoma for lots and lots of wine tasting or just tour the small towns along the route.

A waterfront community Sausalito, across the Golden Gate Bridge from San Francisco, is a great place to visit if you cross the bridge.

Sooo jealous!

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 09:23:05 PM »
Well it seems that most of the tourist attractions we wanted to go to are sold out.  My son called the brewery and they said they actually get booked up 6 months in advance! Laughed at him on the phone, when he asked if there was any way we could get in next week!

And then there was the Google tour that my husband should have signed up for weeks ago, as part of his meetings.  That, too, is booked and closed!

As for going to Sausalito or other parts on the other side of the bridge, we won't have a car - really cannot add that to our expenses right now unfortunately.  Though I am looking into possibly biking the bridge, as someone on another forum mentioned.

Jerry - we will be staying just another 2 1/2 days at our son's place in Irvine, so unfortunately there won't be time for a tour this time around. But thanks for the offer - I will keep it in mind for when we are able to return!

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 06:56:30 AM »
I always loved Pier 39, if not just for the sea lions.  They are huge, loud and obnoxious... and everyone loves them!  If you can get there, I'd say go just for the experience and to say "I saw the sea lions!".

The story behind these beasts is that they invaded the pier in 1990 after a quake, the city was trying to figure out a way to keep them out since boats also dock there.  But the locals and business owners said "NO!!  This is their new home!" and they're now a big attraction there.  Plus there's the famous restaurants, too... who can resist Bubba Gump's? (if you like seafood, that is)

http://www.pier39.com/
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2011, 06:30:49 PM »
Too bad I'm slammed next week! I'd offer to take you around in my car.  Definitely go to Pier 39 (Ghiradelli Chocolate factory is at the far end of it and they give free samples).  Golden Gate Park is AMAZING you'll love the gardens.  You can check out Gordon Biersch in the city - I think it's on Embarcadero - it's a fun brewery with AWESOME garlic fries. 

Too bad he's going to miss the Google tour - even us locals don't have many chances to do that (I get to go in August though, I'm VERY excited).  You can walk across the bridge too.  Check out livingsocial.com for some good deals and off the beat things to do. 

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2011, 07:04:33 PM »
I always loved Pier 39, if not just for the sea lions.  They are huge, loud and obnoxious... and everyone loves them!  If you can get there, I'd say go just for the experience and to say "I saw the sea lions!".

I have a funny story about the sea lions. About 3 years ago, my son was there while in SF on a business trip. He called me at the Pier right by the sea lions - all I heard was the ever-so-loud barking - could not hear a single word my son was saying - we were both laughing so hard on the phone!

We will, of course go there, but we've both been there before.  He won't go to the gardens - isn't the least bit interested in that, poor deprived boy!  ::)

Holldoll - I hadn't realized that you live there. How great that you get to go to Google in August - my son would have loved it, as he is an IT and consumed with all things computer!

We will have to figure out a way to go over the bridge one way or another. I am going to that website right now, before I need to get back to packing.

Thanks for all the great ideas, all. See you when we get back!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"