Author Topic: Someone asked If I had many ponds and is it a hobby, no it is an obsession  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
At least ONE pond has room for more lilies. I have several nice oaks in my yard. They are very nice trees that produce a lot of shade. A prolific amount of shade that keeps my yard from looking like yours.
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Wow!  My husband would kill me  :)

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Don't know how you keep up with all those ponds.

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    • View Profile

LOL, which is why I don't have one of those.  lol I do what *I* want.  O0

But seriously Vickie, OMG!  lol How do you keep up?!? I wish I had that kind of space though.... {:-P;;

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    • View Profile
Is that a solar fountain I saw in one of those pictures?

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
 Hubby built all ponds here.. I did not show all of them or all the tubs and cow tanks and more kiddy pools.  We just relined one pond and it is not finished yet. My back yard is mostly shaded until 1:00. I thank god he lets me have this wonderful hobby. It helps relieve my stress. I work outside most mornings from about 8am until noon or so. I have to take it slow because of back and leg problems. Yes  I have some solar fountains in one small pond.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
 lol  Wow Vickie, that's quite an obsession, and a beautiful one at that!  Could you tell what the plant is in the 5th pic that is in the corner with the tall lance-like leaves?  Is it a pickerel?  My daughter divided one and gave it to me and since it didn't have a tag, was just wondering. 

I've never seen that much WH in one place except for the water garden store!  Those ponds must keep you hopping in the summer.  Beautiful!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Nice to know there are others out there! And this Forum looks like a magnet for those of us who tend more towards obsessions rather than simple hobbies.  {:-P;;

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
kittyzee it is hardy thalia. I over winter my water hyacinths I do not buy them.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Okay, Vickie, I'm looking over the pics and making a list. ;D

I got a lot of catching up to do before next year.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
You wish scott!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
OK, you are definitely certifiable  :D  :o Jeepers!  What do your neighbors think of your non-obsession?  Everything proves you have a wet green thumb!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks Vickie!   :)  I have looked everywhere and could not find a plant i.d.! 

In overwintering this plant:  it's already sitting on the bottom of my pond so I guess it's safe there for the winter.  Do I just cut back the stems when it gets cold or will the weather take care of that for me?  I don't have a green house for storage. 
« Last Edit: July 15, 2011, 04:54:05 AM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile

Mine too...its always a constant tug o war between more pond space and the lawn, and i have to keep in mind space to allow him to mow the grass. The weed wacker may have damaged a few tubs or past kiddie pools....

Vickie- you got it bad  :D

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Yep... My hubby won't have any of it.  Your ponds and plants look great.  Wish I can overwinter lilies in the kiddy pools but I'm sure the cold winter will kill them all.

Kuan

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
I over winter hardies in kiddie pools all the time.  Last winter we had temps down to -6* with a windchill of -20* and 10 inches of ice on top and didn't lose any tubers.  I do have all my pools inside of old 8' galvanized stock tanks to protect them from the weed whacker though.

My hubby is getting better about helping with some of the chores sometimes.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
I just leave my thalia where it is in the pond for winter. I don't trim it until it starts growing in spring. Neighbors don't complain that I am aware of. The frogs screaming in the spring might irritate some of them. I don't want to more any more then I have too.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
Thanks for the info Vickie, I appreciate it!  I was going to post a pic, but when I saw that plant in one of your ponds, I was hoping you could tell me what it was.  AP people always come thru!!   @O@
LuAnn

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
Vickie, is that Thalia Delbata?
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
I guess it is hardy thalia.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"