Author Topic: Pics of a couple of leaves that I  (Read 3267 times)

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pics of a couple of leaves that I
« on: July 19, 2011, 03:18:09 PM »
have finished!  The large brown one is an elephant taro that my daughter grew.  I won't do one that big again...they are too heavy and hard to handle.    You can see the toe of my shoe in that pic, maybe you can see by comparison how large that leaf is.  I was in a local town full of artisans the other day and saw some finished leaves someone did (just like mine) but they had them sitting on coiled rebar as a stand.  They had prices of $195 on them!  The other two are burdock leaves:  I think they are my favorite leaf because of the textures and deep veining in them.

I tried to show a closeup of the big taro--I used a metallic paint you might be able to see it.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pics of a couple of leaves that I
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2011, 03:41:52 PM »
Wow, those are huge.  Good job!

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2011, 04:19:35 PM »
Very creative!!!!!!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2011, 07:48:56 PM »
Gorgeous, LuAnn!!
zone 5b

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 05:19:11 AM »
Thanks Jerry and Cath!  You know after I put these out in the gardens what came along--a hail storm!!!  I was sure they would be smashed to smithereens, but they withstood that one at least.  We get such high winds here too I figure one of these days the wind will get under the big taro and send it to the next county.  Ah well, at least I know how to make them!   {:-P;;
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 10:36:57 AM »
I love the way you painted them   @O@  They look almost "real"

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2011, 11:54:29 AM »
You have talent!!!  I never thought of painting them  :D  They look so real!!  I love all of them but favor the first one.  I didn't understand your post thinking they were real!  I really should give it a try again.  Been many many moons ago since I've tried.

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2011, 01:06:24 PM »
Pretty kewl.  Is this some sort of casting or something?  You said "too heavy"... am I missing something?
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2011, 02:10:26 PM »
Thanks for the compliments--the painting is my favorite part of the process.  I love mixing the colors and deciding what color I want to put in the 'veins'! 

Michael--yes they are cement castings of leaves that I have chosen.  The taro is so large that when it's done the casting itself is heavy.  I mean it's easy to pick up, but much heavier and more liable to break with handling.
LuAnn

Offline mascot

• Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2011, 02:45:53 PM »
Oh, wow... it looks like you just spray painted a huge leaf!  I was thinking, paint isn't that heavy!
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2011, 03:54:40 PM »
Those are beautiful Luann. I want to try that too. I was thinking about using a copper paint color with a brown in the veins. Or mabe a tarnished looking green in the veins.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »
Reddad, any of those colors would work.  I have seen leaves painted all kinds of colors that aren't in nature.  Some of the smaller leaves make great pieces inside the house too.  That's what I want to do next, small ones that are more bowl shaped to hold things.  It's just been too hot to be outside for too long. 

When you are making these leaves, you can put hooks in the backs of them (weight appropriate) to hang on walls when they're finished.  In order to make them more bowl shaped, you need to mound up the sand you are curing them on so they will be 'cupped' when they cure. 

And the paint I use is just cheap acrylic paint in the craft section at Wal Mart.  I like the matte sealer the best when they are totally finished.  I use little tiny brushes for the veins and when I apply the sealer I use the throw away foam brushes. 
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 06:12:00 PM by Kittyzee »
LuAnn

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2011, 08:14:26 AM »
Really beautiful!!  They look so real.   O0  I really like the last one.  I'm not creative at all and have never done hepertufa.  Seeing yours make me want to give it a go. o(:-)

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2011, 09:13:14 AM »
Thanks Kuan!  They are very easy to do and cheap too!  I just look at each one like a science fair project--if it doesn't work out, I've learned something doing it.  The hypertufa is fun too because I like adding things to it like moss and pebbles (when I make garden balls or planters) to give it a natural, earthy look.  I wish it would cool off outside so I could work out there again.   8)
LuAnn

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2011, 04:24:56 PM »
Wow, those are the best I have seen.  You need to sell them!  I think it would be very gratifying to have someone pay a big price for a piece of artwork like that.  You did an excellent job painting them.

Do you make lesson housecalls?  ;)

Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2011, 06:13:07 PM »
 ;) at Karen...maybe for you I would!  Thanks for the compliments.  I need to get out there and make some--they take so long to cure and get really dry before you can paint them.  This heat is just not letting up and the horse flies.... :whip:  They are zooming all around you constantly, but when you don't hear them anymore you have to start checking body parts!  And the poor cows.....  I can't wait 'til the horse flies die off, maybe another 2 or 3 weeks. 

I would love to have a large inventory to be able to sell.  I'm just so pokey...
LuAnn

Offline 2vetts

• Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2011, 09:43:43 AM »
those are AWESOME !!!!!!!!!!!! even signed in just to see the pix . . .peace

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2011, 10:42:53 AM »
Peace to you also 2vetts husband.  Thanks for looking and the compliment!   :)
LuAnn

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2011, 08:50:04 AM »
Those are really beautiful! I keep thinking about trying leaf casting and you have inspired me!  :)
Pam

Offline luvmypond

• Members
  • With us since: 01/08/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 09:48:04 AM »
Those are just stunning !!!!  Beautiful artwork. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2011, 04:34:40 PM »
Thank you Doreen and Pam--the painting is the most fun part for me!   :)
LuAnn

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2011, 07:04:41 AM »
Those are amazing!!   You did such a good job!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2011, 02:05:59 PM »
Thank you, Marilyn!   :)
LuAnn

Offline cindy

• Members
  • With us since: 25/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2011, 12:57:21 PM »
Those are beautiful and I'm sure really HEAVY

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2011, 07:15:42 PM »
Thanks Cindy!  The only one that's heavy and kind of awkward to handle is the taro.  I would do a taro again, but not a leaf that large.  My daughter grew that one--I just couldn't resist trying it!   {:-P;;
LuAnn

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2011, 08:06:34 PM »
LuAnn, those are nothing short of FANTASTIC!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2011, 05:17:47 AM »
Thanks Julles!  Wouldn't it be cool if we all lived where we could meet and do artistic things together and teach each other what the other knows?  I miss artistic input!!
LuAnn

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"