Author Topic: Some picture of my plants in the garden and need help to ID 1 plant  (Read 1189 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Here is a few pictures of the plants that survive and thrive in our 100s degree heat.  Can anyone ID the tall "tree" with red trumpet-like flowers please?  I bought it from a small mom and pop nursery and they have lost the ID tag.  Excuse the legging on the plant because I am trying to save the seeds from the seed pod.

Hanging basket

Tall tree/plant with red trumpet like flowers with the legging.

The red trumpet like flowers.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Some picture of my plants in the garden and need help to ID 1 plant
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2011, 09:55:30 AM »
I think you like red!  Your first plants is of course a very familiar Bougainvillea.  The second plant I think is an Oleander.  Very common here in a few colors, pink, white, red and if I'm not mistaken, coral.  Requires very little water and is planted as a divider on the freeways here, hence the nickname, freeway shrub.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2011, 10:02:32 AM »
Thanks Annette.  I do like red and pink.   ;D @O@  These are tropical plants so I have to take them indoor in the winter in order to keep them alive.  All my other plants are not looking too well due to the intense heat.  My Adenium Desert Rose is doing quite well along with these tropical plants.  I am starting some Plumeria seeds and Adenium seeds so hopefully they will do well in the heat since we are always hit with it plus the drought.   :-\

Kuan

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2011, 10:23:11 AM »
 Very nice Bougainvillea.  Mine doeswn't usually bloom until September.  I have to take it in also.

Yes, I was thinking Oleander also.  Pretty.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2011, 12:52:35 PM »
Thank you Sue.  I really like the Oleander.  The little nursery also has a pink or salmon colored one so I may go back and get it.  :)

Kuan

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2011, 02:34:05 PM »
Well, none of them look familiar to me, so I'm no help!    I'm glad to know what they are though, and I like them, they are beautiful!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »
Where Oleander is planted roadside in Florida, it comes with a warning sign that say that should you burn it, the smoke is toxic.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline magoo

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2011, 05:58:26 AM »
The plant is an Oleander. I've never considered them trees.  The entire plant is toxic. Oleanders are grown every where in la Louisian.
If it's worth doin', it's worth doin' to excess
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a169/magoo_/

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:15:24 PM »
Oleanders can be pruned into a tree shape but are most commonly hedges and the little dwarf ones bushes. They are toxic but very common in hot parts of the world.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"