Author Topic: ***WARNING*** on planting media  (Read 3951 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Re: ***WARNING*** on planting media
« Reply #30 on: July 23, 2011, 01:43:22 PM »
Sue, you have it exactly right!

When you have any doubt, ask a question, listen to the answers, take from them what sounds right to you, then put it to a test and use what you learn to find your own way.

Perfect!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 23, 2011, 01:58:32 PM »
Well, I had the same thing happen once WITH the kitty litter. Oh my word it stunk!!! I potted everything in it AND the pots I was using at the time had holes, they were just the basic nursery pots. After a couple of weeks I started smelling a sewer type smell outside and we couldn't figure out what it was. Then I happened to pull a plant up out of the pond and holy cow........just about knocked me over!! I went and bought top soil and repotted everything. So, I'm not sure exactly what conditions have to be present to create that unbelievable stench but its not always the type of media and not always holes or no holes. ;) Just my peronal experience.  ;) I have not had holes in my lily pots for a number of years and have not had that kind of odor problem since that time. Sure, they smell some when I repot but nothing like that time with the kitty litter.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 23, 2011, 02:54:35 PM »
When we were pulling pots hubby mentioned that I had used plant tabs this year where I had been using time release...

so many factors to consider.  I'll probably never know for sure what all contributed to the problem.  I pulled a couple of pots out of another tank today that had

no "gasy" ordor.  They were all potted the same way the same week in March and fertilized the same day.  This tank is clear all the way to the bottom where

the others have brown water that I now suspect it is from the organics in the bagged soil.  This tank has less pots in it.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2011, 09:53:34 AM »
 {:-P;;  I have some nice lilies blooming and I sniffed their dirt and decided I'd wait.  When I went out early this morning it was a pleasant 69* and I could actually smell fishy water.

This is a pic of the Colorado tank after the big divide.  Notice how dry we are.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"