Author Topic: choosing koi  (Read 3016 times)

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
choosing koi
« on: July 25, 2011, 03:07:49 AM »
I know that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I also know that there are some standards for conformation for koi.  I have not had any koi for a while, but am having a yen.  Is this considered a poor specimen.  Love the metallic scales....a girl's gotta have some bling!  ;D  This is a 6" youngster.

Offline ThornyGardener

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Members
  • With us since: 24/05/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: choosing koi
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2011, 07:19:54 PM »
Unless you are going to show, just get something that pleases you. You're the one who has to look at it. If you think this doitsu longfin is pretty, get it!

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2011, 09:06:15 PM »
Thanks TG.  I wanted to get something completely different because the others I am looking at are all traditional red, white, black, etc.  This one reminds me of a metallic pickle!  LOL
One thing I don't understand at all is what the desirable shape is?  Many koi that I see (adults) are shaped almost like a long teardrop and their head is very blunt.  Is the the shape that is considered better conformation?
I have shown rabbits, but will never show a fish, in all likelyhood.  The only person I am pleasing is me, but I would also like to learn....  The koi comes from Blackwater Koi Farm and the seller describes it as a chagoi.

Thanks!!

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 07:36:12 AM »
TG got it right! No need for me to elaborate on that.

All I can add is that the name means "tea-colored Koi." Perhaps this one's color will lighted as it grows. But being a longfin, it would not actually be considered as a Chagoi, nor is Chagoi by definition, metalic.

If you really want to learn more about "Koi appreciation," do a search using that phrase. There are a lot of good articles on the subject.

But one of the best references on that subject is, in my opinion, Peter Waddington's book, "Koi Kichi." You may be able to find it in the library, possibly thru an inter-library loan. Check with the librarian.

The subject itself is a complicated one. But one worth studying. It is a rather specialized area, but you'll find that just as true when looking at any show oriented animal hobby.

Might try the AKCA web site as well. (Associated Koi Clubs of America.) One web site that I know of right off hand that has a lot of this kind of info is http://www.nishikigoi-info.com/index.html Look under the heading of Koi types for info on specific varieties.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the book reference.  I am so excited to just learn about the patterns, etc.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:29:02 PM »
When I chose my koi it was for color and the large scales and like you said the metallic ones.  I can't afford to buy fancy ones I see in our local koi shop but love to visit them just to admire.  Unfortunately some of the small koi I bought have darkened with their backs lined with black scales.  Some have lightened up since (how does this happen?) but their colors have never returned to the original.

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:40:45 AM »
Seeing into a Koi's future is an art, possibly a black art, at that. There are some forums with sections that deal with this subject where photos track the changes over time and some books do this as well. You can learn some of the trends and tendencies this way, but the best way is to observe your own as they grow.  And yes, this will take a lifetime.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline seerosenfarm.de

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2011, 11:51:12 AM »
This one is so cool! I love it!!!! o(:-)

I have some of these saved from the piranhas myself and enjoy them a lot. These carp-likes are so gentle in character.

I'd go for it!

Christian
www.seerosenfarm.de

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"