Author Topic: The Idiot Stick  (Read 1438 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
The Idiot Stick
« on: July 26, 2011, 12:06:10 PM »
 The Idiot Stick, for those not familiar with the term, is a stick with a shovel blade on one end, and an idiot on the other. Spend much time with one and you soon understand how it got that name.

One of the reasons I started building above ground ponds in the first place is that I really, really hate using that shovel. I mean, I do NOT like it, not one bit!

So, why I am using one now? Well, I decided I couldn’t afford to put up the little grow out ponds that I like, so I thought that in the mean time, I’d go with a couple of kiddie pools, instead. Now, the kiddie pool would not be a first choice for me, not even a second choice, normally. But when you  want to get something going in a hurry, they’ll do. They are certainly cheap! $10 each at Wal-Mart. That’s good. 8 feet in diameter,  but only 15 inches deep. The lack of depth is not so good, but still usable for most water lilies.

To get that 15 inches of depth,  the darned thing has to be filled to the very top, and it needs to be level. Think the spot you want to put it is really level? Lay a 2X4 on edge and put a spirit level on it. See? The darned yard has a slope to it! In mine, it doesn’t matter which way you orient the 2X4, it just ain’t level!

So, I’m out there with an Idiot Stick, doing what I have to, in order to create a level pad, 8 feet in diameter, so I can set up a $10 kiddie pool. And there isn’t a kid in sight! (Which is good, by the way, otherwise I’d have to stop and run ‘em off.)

The real reason I’m posting this is to give myself a reason to be inside, and not working with that darned shovel. Now that I’ve cooled off a bit, I’m going back outside and see if I can “get ‘er done!”

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Idiot Stick
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 12:16:30 PM »
I hear you about the digging part.  Have you considered using layers of used carpet to raise one side of the kiddie pool?  Works ok if you are either in a hurry or lazy (which I can be when it is this hot out). 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 02:13:44 PM »
take from the high side and put it on the low side and your digging is halved .

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 04:45:29 PM »
Most of the "fill" sand came from a berm, right next to the pool site. So in that, it wasn't so bad. But I guess working in the heat did get the best of me, so when I checked the level, I didn't check it all the way around. One again, I have a kiddie pool with a "deep end," and a "shallow end." Fortunately, there is a sign on the side that warns against diving.

My real problem with these particular pools is the cartoon characters on the side, and the lack of depth. If they were closer to 24 inches, I'd like them better.

But round pools in general, for me, the are not a good choice. I'll be putting a large number of plants in them, and those plants will be potted in very small containers. I will need to keep the number of pads per plant under control, in order to grow the most I can, while still allowing for healthy growth and bloom production. With a 4 ft wide pond, however long, it's easy to reach every pot in it. With the round, I'll be wading in and trying not to turn everything over in the process.

This is why the kiddie pools are a temporary measure. The will be replaced.

Round tanks used for ponds can work out very well when they are to be used for display of waterlilies,  or as complete water gardens (ponds.)

But for my use, I'd rather forgo them.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 06:59:24 PM »
 I have 4 walmart kiddy pools set up. Not completely level. We place  several cinder blocks to keep them from rolling over. Where do you get a 8ft kiddy pool for $10? Not at my Walmart. And there is never any on clearence because they always buy all of them. Do you think maybe we are lily hogs?  LOL

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 07:22:51 PM »
Let's see. Three kiddie pools, three sand boxes(two are turtles), a 6' galvanized stock tank, a 9' poly stock tank, a 4'x10' lined wooden trough, a 4'x8' lined shallow wooden trough, a 4'x4' lined shallow wooden trough, and two bottom frames made for two more troughs and plans for a new 4'x8' plant filter. The two frames are for a 3'x5' and a 4'x6' lined wooden troughs, both for water lilies or submerged plants.   :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 05:27:26 AM »
They do stock the stores differently in different parts of the country. You might be able to find them on their website and have them sent to your local store for pickup. If they do that, they shouldn't charge you for shipping. But the bottoms of these things are paper thin.

Right now, I have 4 of the heavily constructed 4X8 patio ponds, 3 of those kiddie pools set up and 1 more in the box, and a pair of 3 1/2 X 13 tanks in my old greenhouse.  The greenhouse is currently uncovered and tree growth has shaded it quite a bit over the years.  Might be able to improve that, somewhat.

What I want to do is to put in a series of 4X8, above ground grow-out ponds. simply  was headed this way when my project funding dried up. I was simply getting too far ahead of myself. I have a plan, but it really isn't tied  isn't tied to a time line.

Besides, I need to prove tbe design first. Probably a good idea, since I will eventually be building a dozen or more.

Mike S.  (Posting this on my Droid X is a PITA! )
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:25:32 PM »
I cannot wait to see all your set up when your done or even as you build it. I had to pay  $20 for an 8 ft kiddy pond at Walmart. But I found my 8ft blue cow tank at a yard sale for $65 they usually cost $315.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 05:00:51 PM »
Great catch on that blue tank!     O0
I had one of those during my Koi years. Sure came in handy.
Of course I'll post pics when I start building again.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:21:12 PM »
The 8' kiddie pools we get at WM are 18" deep.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 05:34:05 PM »
My 9' poly stock tank, which is 28" deep, cost me every bit of $50.00 but boy, was it a booger to get home.   ::)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"