Author Topic: Jongkolnee Update  (Read 1102 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Jongkolnee Update
« on: July 29, 2011, 09:05:20 PM »
Well, I've been wondering if I'd made too many mistakes with it, but my Jongkolnee is getting there. Several buds have come up, only to fall back below the surface before blooming. This is one planted in a 4 inch pot, the idea being to "force" it to produce tubers.

But I thought perhaps it needed more depth, since it did put up 3 buds, one at a time and they seemed as if they were simply too heavy for the slender stalk. So, I moved it out of the kiddie pool where I'd put it for maximum heat and sun, and 8 feet to spread, into one of my more crowded, but deeper Patio Ponds. This move was done when the 4th bud started falling over like the rest.

Looked like this made a difference when the stem grew another couple of inches and once again broke the surface. But two days above the surface and still no opening of the bud. OK, I know what to do in situations like this:

PANIC!

Looking at the pot, I saw roots running around the top of the pot, just above the soil line. The sides of the pot felt tight, like it might be becoming rootbound. So, I moved it from the 4 inch pot into a 2 1/2 gallon pot. Turns out, it wasn't quite rootbound just yet, at least the lower quater of the pot was just soil, no roots made it down that far. But the upper 3/4's of the pot was pretty tight with root structure.

This tight root mass let me re-pot it without it going into "re-potting shock." I've found that rootbound plants seldom goes through and shock period when re-potted into a larger container, but other plants that aren't rootbound really seem to resent the move.

The bud survived the move and re-potting, but it had been above the surface long enough that I'd started thinking about removing it , as there is another showing up just above the crown.

And then this happened:

The bud did start to fall over, but it was caught by the notch in a Trudy Slocum pad. On it's 3rd day above the surface, it finally started to open. I don't know if it will be able to finish the job, but I'm going to leave it where it is for a while.

So, deeper water, much larger pot, maybe the next bloom will be the "good one" I've been waiting for.   :)

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Jongkolnee Update
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2011, 06:16:12 AM »
May not be a "good one" to you, but I think it is lovely!

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2011, 08:27:06 AM »
I am so thrilled for you. Mine is just not growing much.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2011, 07:13:11 PM »
Mike, that jonkolknee is noted for  being difficult to grow so I'm told. You have done a wonderful
job with yours.  Am hoping next bud is one that will fully open for you.  Please post pic when you
get the full benefit of full bloom, and I feel you will.  Is there any way you can prop up the bud because
it is so heavy, stem not supporting it?

My jonkolknee is in an  8" pot, I have in very large storage container (ponds very overcrowded here,,
it sure wouldn't have the space Primlarp recommended).  Have 10 leaves, largest being maybe 3" in
diameter.  Wish me luck!!!  Am hoping I get tubers too. I planted two tubers. Well, one decided would not
sprout, but now has  two tiny little leaves. Hmm!!!  Nature does funny things to us sometimes!!! LOL

Marie

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:49 PM »
Mine started off very slowly. I think it was because at that time, the days were warm enough, but the overnight temps went way down. Enough that the pond water temps dropped far enough to impede growth. I suspect this is one reason many cannot seem to get the plant to grow. It does seem to require warm water and when the temps drop at night, they can get low enough for the plant stop growing.

But when the overnight temps got higher, the water stayed warmer overall. Mine planted in the 4 inch pot put up about a dozen pads. They were quite small, about 5 or 6 inches, but they spread a full six feet in diameter. I wonder if this plant is one that just won't tollerate being "bonsai'ed." Many tropicals will put up with being planted in a very small container, but will still grow well and bloom. Some much better than others.

I think the small pot will still produce tubers, at least that is the theory I was working with. But for blooms? The 4 inch pot and 15 inch deep water probably was just too far outside the plants "comfort zone."

It is in a much larger pot and in deeper water. The next bud is about 10 inches below the surface. So, I'll know soon if it's really going to make the difference.

I could have put a stake to hold up that bloom, but I accepted the help Trudy Slocum offered. After it got caught in that pad notch, the thing stood up a full in higher the next day.

Good luck with both of your Jongkolnee's! Sometimes, I think that might be the real key to getting this one to survive and thrive.

You know I did start a second one in a one gallon pot. That has become an odd story on it's own. When I'm back off work on Monday, I should have time to fill you in on that one. (No, I haven't killed it.)   ;)

Before I go, I did post another pic on Facebook of the flower, the next day. I thought it would sink overnight, under the circumstances. But it didn't. In fact, it fully opened, instead. I'm not sure when I can do it, so if anyone can download that pic from Facebook and post it, that would be OK with me.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2011, 06:27:59 AM »
I got it!

Again it is spent far too much time closed, and sometimes partially submerged. It simply doesn't look it's best.

The day after the last picture was taken:

It was still in the notch of the Trudy Slocum pad, if it hadn't been it would have been underwater.This AM, the bud felt quite soft, so I went ahead and pinched it off.

But there is another on it's way to the surface. So far, it looks good.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2011, 01:10:51 PM »
Yet ANOTHER picture of a Jongkolnee "resting" on a Trudy Slocum pad.

No, not the same pic posted again, but another bud that broke the surface, stayed upright for several days, then dropped onto a pad and only then opened. The flower was obviously exhauseted before it opened. Why? I'm really not sure.

This plant is the one that was started in the 4 inch pot. It grew well (meaning quickly,) and started putting up buds. Pretty much all have stayed above the surface for 3 to 5 days before falling, without opening to any degree. Those that fell to rest on a lily pad did eventually open, if I left them there long enough. All looked about like this one, pretty much spent.

Seeing roots circling the pot on top of the soil told me to re-pot. It went into a 2 1/2 gallon pot this time, and into deeper water. And still, this.

Best I can come up with is the weather. Might just be looking for an excuse, don't know. But for about the same lenght of time this plant has been blooming, it has been predominately overcast and raining daily. All the other waterlilies are still growing and flowering, but at a reduced rate.

Not giving up, just backing off in hopes of better weather will permit better results.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"