Author Topic: Which water lily?  (Read 2130 times)

Offline patsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Which water lily?
« on: January 08, 2007, 11:13:50 AM »
 Well, here it is the beginning of a new year and YAY the gardening cataloges are coming in the mail! Of course that's what really gets me in the mood to think about what I want to grow this summer. (8:-)

I've only had about four years of experience in water gardening but have raised tropicals successfully, - August Koch and Leopardess -, but am wanting to try some different ones now.

I've been looking at Trickers catalog and am just wowed by the beauty of the Judge Hitchcock tropical lily pictured there. I have found other pix on the net of the same lily and don't see that same beauty in them. Just wondering if someone else has had experience with growing Judge Hitchcock, is it difficult? And do you have some pix of it that you could post? 
Also, does anyone know of a source for Niemi's Opal? And is it easy enough for a beginner?

I guess I'm just a little on the leery side of killing some wonderful plants that don't deserve to die!

I would really appreciate any and all imput anyone has to offer.

Thanks Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Which water lily?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2007, 03:32:40 PM »
I had Judge Hitchcock year before last and loved it. It was one of my favorite blues. I sent Louann a tuber and then lost mine. One of these days I will get another one when hers tubers again. I did not have time to miss it last year I had too many irons in the fire.

GAJen

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 03:45:57 PM »
That is gorgeous! By the way I have lily fever!!!!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 04:10:17 PM by GAJen »

Offline Daisy

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 08:24:15 AM »
Beautiful lily!!
I have SPRING fever  @O@

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 02:29:23 PM »
After wintering over my Leopardess for several winters, I decided to get some other tropical lilies. I've had Red Flare but couldn't overwinter it. I have a Trudy Slocum now that is barely hanging on. My Leopardesses (I've divided it and have three left after I gave away several) are doing great indoors as usual. I don't know if it's that specific variety that is easy, or if blues/purples are easier in general - opinions? I want to build another pond just for tropicals but not if I can't overwinter them!
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2007, 04:21:20 PM »
The tropicals that are doing well for me in water temps of 55 in the greenhouse are Firefox, Lavender Lady and Albert Greenberg. They have leaves but no blooms of course. The others who knows if they are alive or not, no leaves. Is Leopardess a good bloomer? I want to get one next year.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2007, 04:28:01 PM »
I know Louis had Judge Hitchcock and he loved it. I assume he still has it somewhere.

I grew and named Niemi's Opal myself and will admit, it's a very easy lily to grow. I do not know if I have it in my pond right now however but do know there are a few people on the Victoria Adventure mailing list that have it.

Another great purple is Lindsey Woods, I actually find it to be superior to the two aforementioned lilies and it is readily available.

I also would not reccomend Trickers if you want to get the actual plant you are ordering, they have been on a bad list of suppliers who send out anything that looks similar. There are many other suppliers out there that are trustworthy. I would suggest starting with the Truly Named certified members through Water Gardeners International at this link  http://www.watergardenersinternational.org/certification/main.html

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2007, 04:33:36 PM »
I would also like to mention, I highly doubt that anyone still has the real Leopardess. It is quite likely lost to cultivation with so many lookalikes being sold off these days. It's quite unfortunate that some suppliers will sell any look alike under the guise of a well respected and named hybrid just to make a buck.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2007, 05:09:32 PM »
I had Lindsey woods this summer. It is a beautiful Lily. I did not get any vivip babies off the leaves but that is probably my fault. I let the wh and lettuce take over the pond.

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2007, 05:34:55 PM »
[/I also would not reccomend Trickers if you want to get the actual plant you are ordering, they have been on a bad list of suppliers who send out anything that looks similar. There are many other suppliers out there that are trustworthy. quote]

As for me, I fully agree! (8:-)

Twice burned.....thrice shy! >:( >:(- {nono}

(I know....it's once burned, twice shy, but anybody can get their dress all up in their face once in a while.  I'll give most anyone a second chance, even as in this case.....to my chagrin. {:-P;;)

Offline Koi Boi

• Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2007, 05:43:29 PM »
I see that I need to learn how to do this quote thing. ::)

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »
Wow, how can I thank you all enough? The pix are beautiful and I must say Lindsy Woods is stunning. I am amazed that the picture of Judge Hitchcock in Trickers looks NOTHING like the one Gander sent. I wonder if they touch the photos up to make them look nicer?

I have had my Leopardess for two seasons and I haven't gotten a flower yet, although it did have a blue bud on it last fall when I brought it in for the season. I have my doubts about it's authenticity too because it's foliage just doesn't look right for Leopardess.

Thanks Sean for the info on where I might get Niemi's Opal. I will look into it.

Patsy

Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2007, 04:27:49 AM »
Sean has looked at photos of my "Leopardess" and doubts it's the real thing. I did buy it from a reputable nursery, though. At any rate, it's a great bloomer.

Checked on my Red Flares last night and one of them is actually looking pretty good! Woo hoo.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2007, 12:21:31 PM »
One of my favorite tropicals is After Glow. 8)

If you have enough room, Missouri is an awesome white. (8:-)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline frloplady

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2007, 05:26:36 PM »
sigh...spring seems a looong ways away.  I know parts of the country have been in spring all winter, but we certainly haven't been hhere.. Single digits predicted the next few nights with highs below freezing in the day.  And my pond had just gotten up to 44 and almost 45..sigh.

It is supposed to be at least partly sunny in the day so it will be interesting to see how that affects the pond temp even with it being so cold out.

Can't wait for lilies again!  @O@
Mary

Offline patsy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2007, 07:14:05 PM »
Humm Frloplady, we must live fairly close to one another, because our temp.s are headed for subzero here. I live in Northwestern Montana That's why I get so excited when the catalogs start coming and I can browse and dream. Gotta get those orders in to the catalog companies so the seeds can get here! Then it's time to get seeds started for both veggies and flowers so they will be ready to set out when weather permits.
This year I'm going to start seeds for carnivorous plants too. That will be a first! I hope they do well.

I have tubs and tanks of water plants, fish and tadpoles here in the house to keep me occupied for the time being. I also have sheep, chickens, pigeons, a cat and four dogs. And oh yes, several grandkids...... Never time to get bored.

Wooo, the wind it kicking up now. Supposed to be a blizzard tonight.

Joyce, I don't think I have ever noticed one called After Glow. Think I'll go look it up.

Thanks, Patsy

Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2007, 07:19:51 AM »
I ordered Blue Gigantea from Trickers and it died. I usually do not loose gigantea. It did not even last the growing season. So will not order it again from them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"