Author Topic: What to do in Bradenton, Florida for 2-1/2 days? September.  (Read 4287 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What to do in Bradenton, Florida for 2-1/2 days? September.
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
My DD and I will be in Bradenton, Florida, for 2-1/2 days.  What is there to do?  I would love to see the beaches there and possibly go beach-combing for shells and glass.

I'll have a rental car to use.  Any suggestions?

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in Bradenton, Florida for 2-1/2 days? September.
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 04:00:17 PM »
dd = daily driver ? learned that on the corvetteforum.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 07:08:19 PM »
Nope. DD = dear daughter.   :)
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 08:14:38 PM »
I have no personal information about Bradenton but I notice it is located in Manatee County so I am guessing that if you do a search or talk with locals you should be able to find out where you may be able to see some manatees.  I have a friend on the east coast side of Florida and she has posted photos of manatees in the shallow waters.

Wiki lists the following points of interest in Bradenton:
ArtCenter Manatee
Bradenton Marauders minor league baseball team
Cortez Fishing Village
DeSoto National Park
Gamble Mansion (Ellenton)
Hernando DeSoto Historical Society
Manatee Village Historical Park
Myakka River State Park
Palma Sola Botanical Park
Pittsburgh Pirates spring training at McKechnie Field
South Florida Museum, home of Snooty the manatee
Village of the Arts
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2011, 02:38:37 PM »
Thank you so much for all your research guys!  I guess we do not have any Ponders out that way...

Thanks Scott, Yes, DD is my dear daughter and no she is not the daily driver.  That would be me.

While she is busy I will check out a few places you all mentioned.  I think it's fabulous I will meet a manatee although a wild one is preferable.  I read that on Anna Maria City Pier there is a restaurant that has a view where manatees are seen often.  That's where I'll be sipping frosty cocktails for sure until I see one!!!

There are lots of places along the miles of beaches to collect shells!  It will be a nice relaxing time away for sure!

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2011, 04:00:24 PM »
Definitely drive over the Skyway bridge and go to the Salvador Dali museum. I also like the aquarium in the channelside area of Tampa. The gulf beaches are nice...let me remember which ones are the best!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 07:09:11 PM »
Thank you so much for all your research guys!  I guess we do not have any Ponders out that way...

Thanks Scott, Yes, DD is my dear daughter and no she is not the daily driver.  That would be me.

While she is busy I will check out a few places you all mentioned.  I think it's fabulous I will meet a manatee although a wild one is preferable.  I read that on Anna Maria City Pier there is a restaurant that has a view where manatees are seen often.  That's where I'll be sipping frosty cocktails for sure until I see one!!!

There are lots of places along the miles of beaches to collect shells!  It will be a nice relaxing time away for sure!

You better hope that it will be a good day for Manatee that day or you might be staggering out the door and seeing a lot of other things. My favorite place for Manatee was in Homasassa Springs. It was actually a wildlife reserve.
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2011, 06:59:10 PM »
Thanks Jessica and Scott!  We'll flying into Tampa and staying overnight.  Have to talk DD into seeing Dali (I idolized him when I was her age!). 

If I don't see a manatee, Scott, at least I will enjoy trying to see it!  Empty glass(s) salute!

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 01:14:04 PM »
There are a lot of beautiful islands and island communities around there, just follow the scent of $$$$$.  Certainly you know that from LaLa land.   All kidding aside if you are flying into Tampa the Dali museum is a must see.  If you are into steaks, the best steak house in the US, I've been to a lot of them, is Berns (http://www.bernssteakhouse.com/).  Simply the best, it certainly puts to shame the chains (Morton's, Ruth Chris's, Sullivans), as well as other noted Steak houses such a s Peter Lugers.  This does require reservations well in advance though and is not cheap. 

There are a few water Gardens nearby, but I'm having a senior moment and can't remember them.  However, the best way to see the area is by vehicle (bike or car) and being flexible to explore.  The heat and humidity is also not as oppressive as south Florida so it should be reasonable.

have a god time.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 05:17:50 PM »
First of all
The heat and humidity is also not as oppressive as south Florida so it should be reasonable.
  Thank goodness!

And Thanks Coolshades for the $$$$steak house!!!!  Salivating while reading!  Checked out the site and first time I've seen the chart on how I like my steak.  Probably only place that can do specific requests.  What $$$$ can do for you!  Will need to start collecting pennies now!

Yeah, I want to see Dali w/o DD (she has interview) and hopefully we'll find beaches full of seashell and glass/rocks (airline will love me).

If you remember any particular water garden that is worth the visit let me know!  I don't have a lot of time but want to see everything.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 07:52:12 PM »
I heard the Dali museum just reopened. It was great when I saw it about 5 years ago, but is apparently even better now! I once went down to a nursery called Tropiflora in the Sarasota area for a big plant sale and ended up meeting Joyce there. You probably have similar nurseries in CA, so it's probably not such a big deal. I think we always went to Clearwater beaches. The best central Florida watergarden I have visited was Kit and Ben's place over on Cocoa Beach during one of their "open garden" days. You could possibly venture out to meet Craig, I think he's due east of Bradenton. I'm not sure though, never been there. Bet it's amazing!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2011, 08:53:38 AM »
Very much "Ditto" on Burns for a dining experience. Been many years since I've been there, but do at least ask to see the wine list. I bought a copy, myself. About the size of a NY phone book. (But much more informative!)

Also, The Dali museum is a must-see. Even for those who think they don't like him. Last time I was there, they had some of his very early works, quite different from what he is known for. And for what he IS know for, seeing them personally might just change your mind if you don't happen to care for him. Gives you a whole new perspective of his own rather interesting perspective.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in Bradenton, Florida for 2-1/2 days? UPDATE: THANK YOU!
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 04:30:52 PM »
We've been doing a lot of traveling for a month all over the States.  Our first stop was Tampa and the Bradenton/Sarasota area.

Thank you so much for the suggestion of Bern's Steakhouse!  I have to say that when we first drove up to the address of the steakhouse I thought you guys were pulling a joke.  The restaurant exterior looks like a mortuary and the street very crappy (saying it nicely here).  .  When we finally decided to enter the restaurant the foyer looked like a page out of Disneyland's Haunted House with lots of orangy red lights hanging from the chandelier and candelabras.  We arrived earlier than the set reservation of 7pm and no one was in the dining room they led us.  But soon the place was packed!

Turned out our waiter was fabulous and the food...the way it used to be made!  Delish-y-o-so!!!!  Beautifully seared aged steaks with all the accoutrements.  We even had a tour of the establishment.   The wine "cellar" is killers huge!  DH (last moment joined DD and me on trip) salivated over all the vintage wines. "Let me see...$10k bottle of wine or home to go home to!?!"

Dessert room (actually the whole upstairs) will have to wait for another time.  Got too full with great food and generous portions.

Started with Oyster Beignets...had to share  ;)
French onion soup and started with a half bottle of wine... ::)
Lousy photo of fab steak, that's rare, warm and a thin crust!  Who knew we were so finicky! O0

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in Bradenton, Florida for 2-1/2 days? Here's what we did!
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 04:44:15 PM »
We landed in Tampa and stayed on a small strip of land named Pelican Island.  Kinda scary when there were hurricane forecasts for the days we stayed!  The view from our hotel was fabulous and the beach was teaming with a few kinds of fish.

We drove to Bradenton/ Sarasota area for DD's interview at a university.  DH and I drove around the area and discovered a different lifestyle we take for granted in SoCal.  Spanish moss hung on trees everywhere like tinsel on Christmas trees.  Ferns grew out of palm tree cut fronds!

We saw egrets everywhere there was water.  That means water everywhere too!  Side of roads, ditches, canals, beaches, etc.  And of course at Anna Marie Island's historic pier.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: What to do in Bradenton, Florida for 2-1/2 days? Shells and powder Beaches
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 04:57:26 PM »
I didn't get a chance to do cultural indoor museum things because the weather was just perfect in this area and the beaches were pulling me towards them.  Also time restraints nixed paid admissions. 

I got to collect as many shells as I could carry in my carry ons (no checking luggage on airline  :'( because of cost and can't afford to lose anything).

The sand on the beaches were like fine powder (corn starch?) and the water was a dreamy 85*!  We even visited the "Most Beautiful Beach in America!"

Back in Tampa we drove-toured the campus of University of Tampa.  Cool old eclectic building that was one-time hotel. 

We experienced a small hurricane that whipped through the area that dumped about 30 minutes of rain around us while we had dinner.  Nothing a few bottles of wine can't take care of!

Thanks to all the Ponders who made this visit enjoyable!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 05:44:12 PM »
Thank you so much for sharing your pics and narrating them for us!  It makes me miss Florida so much!!  My dad retired there and we used to vacation there when my grandparents lived there too.  I could almost smell it, hear it, taste it!!!  I love collecting sea shells!  I have a glass jar full of them that my granddaughters love to play with and I sometimes put them in my flower gardens. 

I swear, that food looks heavenly.  I'm thinking maybe we need to take a vacation together!!   :)  Come get me, we'll do a run up the east coast and see if we can eat them out of seafood!!!!  8)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 06:18:10 PM »
Hi Annette:

Glad you had a good time.  Remember Berns has been there a long time and I think the neighborhood has been Gentrified once already, perhaps it's time again.  I hope you at least gave the upstairs a look, but I suspect not.  Sort of a temptuous area that I dare anyone to pass up.

So how did your DD do, did she get the offer?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 06:20:00 PM »
Take me with you!!!!!!!!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 07:31:54 PM »
Very cool.  You'll miss DD.... :(

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 07:41:28 PM »
Funny LeeAnn!  I've eaten my share if not more of seafood up the east coast into Canada.  I love to travel with people who appreciate good food!  Yummm!  Naturally we'll take Jerry along to get us into the top places  ;)

Are you talking about the dessert haven, CoolShades?  I'm no amateur, of course I went upstairs and checked out the desserts.  Unfortunately my companions were rolling in the aisles from all the great food in the dining room.  :'(  I can't believe I don't have a photo of the dessert room, but it was dark and cozy.

In Sarasota we dined during a sweep of thunderous rain in a Spanish/Cuba style restaurant, Columbia.  
it was a relief from the humidity we experienced from the day before.  It was a bit scary for us Cali babes when the rain was pouring almost at a 45* angle.  After about 30 minutes the rain stopped and the air was so refreshing and cool.

More wine please...

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 07:48:25 PM »
Oh YES my daughter was accepted into med school in Bradenton!!  @O@ @O@ 

You know it Michael!  If she should go to Florida I will dearly miss her.  Keeping my fingers crossed that the other 5 interviews she went to across the States and closer to home will accept her too.  She has one more interview to go to and it's close to home.  This is the one I'm hoping she'll be accepted at so I can afford to visit and help her out.  All the flying we have been doing this past month and a half have taken their toll on us.  Florida is way too far!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 07:52:10 PM »
Oh, did I see a manatee?  No  :( but this is the wrong time of the year to see them as the water is so warm they do not need to stay in warmer coves or as the hotel manager said, the power plant.  We went to the power plant site for viewing manatees anyhow and it's closed this time of the year.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 11:54:20 PM »
Great trip Annette! Maybe you will go back often if DD goes to the school?

In the 40s I hitch hiked to Fl and walked across a bridge in Jax. I saw a Manatee!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 12, 2011, 03:30:47 PM »
Congratulations to your daughter.....it sounds like she will have a big decision to make!

I have been to Siesta Beach and it is bee-u-tee-full.  o(:-)  I couldn't remember what made the sand so different, so I Googled.........it is 99% pure quartz. 

Did you happen to go to Bok Tower Gardens?  The last time we were in Florida, we had time to kill before our flight out of Tampa.  I had noticed the tower in the distance, so we drove to check it out.  We didn't have a lot of time to spend there and missed the concert.  If you go back, maybe you can check it out. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:30 PM »
Thank you Karen!  The sand on Siesta Beach is crazy silky fine.  Gorgeous!  Tough to shake out of towels and car rugs though!  :P  I have to remember that these trips are not for pleasure...all business.  My DH and I were chauffeurs, maids, valets, personal assistants, hair stylists, etc...  We stand behind DD to make sure she realizes her dream.  By co-inc-a-dink we get to beam with pride.  o(:-)

We didn't have a chance to tour a lot but we tried to do things that would not stress DD out.  She had 6 interviews in less than 6 weeks with lots of flying involved and waiting in airports.  One more to go!!!

I really appreciate all the suggested sites to visit in Tampa area.  It was our first trip out and to this area.  Enjoyed more than I expected.  :worship:

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
Great photos and narration! Has she been applying to DO programs?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 04:26:39 PM »
Thank you Jessica!  Wish I could have gone out to the nursery you suggested but alas time was too short. 

DD has applied to both DO and MD programs.  She loved the excitement and witnessing many procedures in the Emergency Department at UCI Medical Center for the 2 years she did research for the department doctors.

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 08:17:58 PM »
I thought I remembered Bradenton having a great DO program, and definitely remember talking to your daughter about her plans when we had dinner a few years ago at your place.

If she ends up in that area, you'll have plenty of time to visit Dali, nurseries, and museums. I really want to go to that steak house after seeing your photos....mmmmm!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2011, 11:24:40 AM »
Thanks Jessica.  My DD likes the program at LECOM in Bradenton but I'm so hoping another scholars closer to home will accept her  :'( Her mother is a really big worry wart.

I salivate too when I see the pics.  They certainly do not manage many great restaurants like Bern's without making you pay for it these days.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"