Author Topic: Pink flowered strawberry.  (Read 867 times)

Offline patsy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pink flowered strawberry.
« on: January 08, 2007, 06:17:45 PM »
Help! - I think I may have lost my sanity!
In the summer of 05 I bought a pink flowered strawberry in a local nursery. I planted it in a pot on my porch, never thinking to notice its name. I was very impressed with this plant, it grew and bloomed beautifully all summer long and produced quite a few delicious berries too. It did not have runners but instead formed a healthy large mound. That fall I separated it's rooted stolons and replanted them. I left them all outside in the pot over the winter and was very disappointed in the spring to find that they had all died.

So, last spring I went to the same nursery to purchase more of that lovely plant. They sold me Fragaria Lipstick and told me that was all they had available. I was very disappointed with Lipstick because all it seemed to want to do was run all over the place and make dozens of small plants and a few small flowers.
In the mean time, I have searched the Internet and everywhere else I can think of, to find another plant like the one I had before. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps I had Pink Panda that first year. But, I believe it is also a runner producing plant. Lipsick is classified as an Alpine, and I thought Alpines were runnerless.? Can someone please help me? Is Pink Panda the plant I'm looking for? Or am I looking for a plant that is extremely rare, or does not exist? I'd really be greatfull for any help that anyone has to offer so I can locate the right plant for growing this spring!

Thank you
Patsy
Patsy
Kalispell.Mt
zone 4b

Offline JoshS

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
Re: Pink flowered strawberry.
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2007, 07:48:37 AM »
I can't really help...I don't even know the name of my pink flowered strawberry, but it runs.  A lot!

Maybe your first plant just needed time to settle in before it started to run???
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
Re: Pink flowered strawberry.
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2007, 09:07:59 AM »
'Pink Panda' runs like crazy. I'm ripping them out all the time. I've never heard of a non running ornamental strawberry.
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"