Author Topic: A PITA Pond?  (Read 2533 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
A PITA Pond?
« on: August 10, 2011, 02:02:04 PM »
It's a "PITA." Nothing to do with "Animal Rights" or even "People Eating Tasty Animals." It's an acronym for "Pain in the. . . " Well you figure it out.   ;)

PITA pond. Yes, that sums it up. Here is why I really didn't want to use kiddie pools for starting a small waterlily biz:

This is after I've removed a couple of plants from it, too. Trying to keep things under control and removing dead pads & spent blooms, just ain't easy. You have to wade in on the very slippery bottom without falling on your keester, or tipping over every plant in the darned thing. It's do-able, but a real "balancing act." (I can hear you groaning!)

But, just as "Mothers necessitate invention," so does finances. Things got a little weird around here and I was not able to get a start on a series of 4X8 grow-out ponds like I'd planned, so I went with kiddie pools for now, rather than just give up on it. The 4X8's are so much easier to deal with, but they will simply have to wait a while.

Mean while, I'll have to get serious (and agile!) about thinning down the pad production so I can get more plants going. If I'd known I'd have to add "gymnast" to my skills, I'd have started this biz idea a lot sooner, like back when I could still bend my lower back.   ;D

And to all who routinely use these little round vinyl demons, my hat's off to you!  :clap:

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: A PITA Pond?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 05:31:42 PM »
Mine are inside leaky galvanized stock tanks.  I can lean over to my hearts content.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:59:19 PM »
Yes, the stock tanks are much more forgiving.  Lean too far over a kiddie pool and you get wet, squash a couple of plants, and if you don't get up fast enough, you loose half the water in the thing.

OK, I haven't done that just yet, I'm getting myself mentally prepared for it.

I know what I want to build and how.  I do want to prototype one first and prove the method. Then I should be able to put them in for about $160 for a pair of 4*8 ponds with a good life expectancy.

Then I can put them in, with a pair of the new ones replacing each kiddie pool. At least, that's the plan.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 06:09:31 PM »
Funny write up, Mike!  Is there anyone out there who doesn't have a difficult time bend over into the pond to clean lilies?  I hope you get your ponds built soon.

Offline Charla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2011, 10:45:28 PM »
 LOL!  If that were in my backyard two greyhounds would be lounging in it!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2011, 06:24:36 AM »
Oi Mike, you get a great workout in the kiddie pool.   lol  Your plants look nice though but I hear ya about the slippery bottom.  The bending part is hard since our old bones just don't want to flex like they used to.

Kuan

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2011, 09:02:53 AM »
Moving thru the pool is an art and an exercise! Your Kung Fu must be strong!   ;)

The key seems to be NOT shuffling your feet, after all, there's no stingrays in there. Each step means lifting one foot high out of the water, stepping over the pads and blooms, and carefully bring the foot down while avoiding putting it on any of the plants. All done while balancing on the other foot, on the aforementioned slippery vinyl bottom.

Master would be so proud!   ;D

Mike S.  (formerly known as "Weedhopper.)
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Jennie in MT

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2011, 04:20:03 PM »
I had this same problem when I had to get in my pond to do maintenance.  I even ruptured a disc in my neck trying to avoid a fall.  Then I got some of those water shoes they use at the beach or at the lake for skiing. n They have a really rubbery bottom and boy do they make things better!  end of season good ones can be had for very cheap. 

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2011, 06:38:45 PM »
Yes I use kiddy pools too. And I almost fell  trying to get into one a couple of weeks ago. Here is a pic of mine. I am a true plant hog.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2011, 09:12:01 PM »
Very nice!  Loaded up like that, they start to look pretty good.  O0

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2011, 05:35:08 AM »
I have often thought of posting a sign at the edge of my pond "Enter at your own risk" since I have performed what I would like to call a Swan dive while traversing the pond but then of course a kid would consider it a challenge.
            In truth it ends up more like “damn did anyone just see me do that with a knife in my hand!” Just like Jennie I found that the water shoes provide a tremendous improvement in traction and have not fallen since I purchased a pair this spring.

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2011, 09:42:48 AM »
Although most of what I've posted in this thread was meant to be humor, the safety aspect is important.

I do have several pairs of shoes I picked up over the years that are perfect for the job of wading in the ponds or pools. I just don't think about putting them on as often, my pool-wading is done on the spur of the moment. Now lets see if I'm smart enough to learn from this thread and start using them!

I got them because I used to spend a lot of time in a very small boat, exploring the backwater areas while flyfishing. Often miles from nowhere and not another person in sight. I'd park the boat and wade across grass and oyster flats with my fly rod in hand. Took a fall once and got lucky, only ended up with some cuts on both hands, landing in a "push-up" postion in 6 inches of water, staring at a bed of oysters just inches from my face.

That is when I got the right foot ware and started keeping them in the boat, with an extra pair. Still have them, now I need to start using them.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2011, 09:49:52 AM »
pond work , yard work , house work it's all a 'pain in the abdomen' to me .

Offline Marie Fisher

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2011, 06:38:28 PM »
Mike, I don't know any of us (hardly) who hasn't  taken a dive into our ponds at one time or another.
My big pond pump decided would just stop working, why I had no idea. So I got my  rump in there this
morning, and one of my big goldies had stuck her nose up in the pump, and of course the prop chopped it
off for her. she was a sweetie too. I don't see how she did what she did, because only about inch of
clearance between floor of pond and where pump prop is. But she did it.  Anyways, where pond slopes from
shelf to pit, was very very slick, and old stupe here pulled tennis shoes off, went in with socks on.  Yes, had
hard time keeping my balance, but I didn't fall.  But I have, turned a flip, but landed in lilie pot, feet stuck
straight up in air, didn't get shoes wet even. I didn't know I had those kinds of moves left in me!!!  Naturally
first thing you do is look and see who saw you. Well,in my case, was men on roof next door, pointing and
laughing. I waved and laughed!! What else can you do when just made fool of yourself.   And I have kiddy ponds
too.  I'm a chicken on getting in them, got a pair of  grabber, will grab pot, pull to me.

Marie Fisher

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2011, 07:10:30 PM »
Marie,

I'll try not to picture you making that maneuver, but I do think I'll look into the grabber thing. But what would you say the difficulty rating of that pond dismount would be?

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Jennie in MT

• Members
  • C'mon! Pucker up for a little fishy kiss!
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2011, 09:16:43 PM »
I remember a gal that used to be on the pond forums.  She was from the NYC area (debbie??).  She was in her pond and slipped on a large rock and broke her ankle.  Her husband was weed-eating around the other side of the gargae and the kids were all in the front yard, so no one could hear her yell for help and she could not get out of the pond by herself with her injury.   :o
I live 13 miles from town and have no neighbors close enough to hear me yell.  For those reasons I never get in the water if I am home alone.... {nono}

Be safe everyone!

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2011, 04:17:35 AM »
Wow, I've only had a few slips over the last 30+ years.  Each one of the falls was due to rushing except for one discussed below.  I agree having  good water shoes helps with traction, but the key is to understand the potential hazards. A solution for those who want to stay out is to make long  and 5' wide ponds.  Some of our commercial ponds were  actually raised  by 3' and I made them 30'x 5' so it was rather easy to get to on either side.  However,, I always enjoyed going into the ponds since it was a way to cool off from the hot sun of South Florida.

The worst fall came about from a neighbors kid who was trying out for the HS golf team.  Little to my knowledge he liked using my lawn as a water hazard and you're probably ahead of me here, clearly one landed in the pond and yours truly found it the next day.  Unfortunately, I hit my head on the edge of my pond and needed 6 stitches.  As I came back from the emergency room with steam coming out of my ears, clearly I had figured out what happened by then, I layed out an elaborate plan....... 

Offline Marie Fisher

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
Mike, no difficulty at all in the dismount.   I pulled shoes and socks off, as they weren't wet. Nothing wet
but my behind part!!!  And just casually got out of that ground level pond. No, will never have another below
ground, level with ground pond.  I'd like to replace my kiddy ponds with on top of  ground 5' X 50' ponds. My
big pond is half in, half out of ground.  I've learned from my mistakes, trust me on that!!!  And any new pond
will NOT ever have a slope to get slick again, will have straight down sides.  Live and learn!!!

Marie Fisher

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2011, 12:09:32 PM »
I fell because I had flip flops on and we have river rock around our ponds. I was going around the corner of the pond and slipped on gravel and plunk was in pond before I knew it. Pond is only 15 inches deep so I was fine just startled. Of course Hubby came and said what are you doing, as I was setting in pond? What do you think I am doing? I fell! DAH! It was several years ago but now I am careful.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2011, 05:33:16 PM »
We were draining one of the cattle tanks at the farm this morning.  I netted all the fish and moved them to the "clean" tank.  The men had hauled some dirt around the tank nearly half way up...I nearly toppled in.  I like having 24" between above the ground.  Much better for me and the granddaughters.  And, yes, I have fell in face first before...just not all the way in.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"