Author Topic: Finally, good bloom from Jongkolnee!  (Read 970 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Finally, good bloom from Jongkolnee!
« on: August 18, 2011, 11:11:26 AM »
I was starting to think maybe this plant just didn't like me. They started out slowly, then when the buds came up, they just sat there for a few days and then dropped. After a number of those, the next one opened, but the petals were all dried out and it looked rather pitiful. The bud opend after having been up for 4 days, and had fallen over landing on the pad of a Trudy Slocum. This happened several times, pretty much the same on both Jongkolnee plants that I have.

But I think that is over.

I almost didn't get this shot, it had just started to sprinkle as I went out to check on all the ponds. The bud had surfaced the day before yesterday, so I expected yet another repeat performance. Here is a wider shot.

It is overcast, and the colors show pretty well. The pad to the right of the bloom (with a leaf sitting on it,) belongs to the Jongkolnee. You might also see another bud and pad coming up in this pic. There are two more buds below the surface, as well.

Now to see if the next bloom also opens normally! There is also another Jongkolnee in another pond, doing pretty much the same thing. Each bud seems to be an improvement over the previous, so I'm hoping that plant will also start producing normal flowers.

It took a while, but I think it was worth the wait.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Finally, good bloom from Jongkolnee!
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 04:42:48 PM »
That is the prettiest I have seen.  It looks like the bloom has nice texture.   

Reminds me when I had Lily Pons.   I waited and waited for it to bloom and finally it put up a bud.   Then it seemed like it would never open.   Every day it just sat there.
One day I walked in the greenhouse and cut the bud off and then I decided I really didn't need to waste space with it, so I pulled up the plant and mailed it away to someone else.  I was tired of waiting around for it.

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 05:39:08 PM »
Can't say for sure just why some will do this, but this one was imported from Thailand as a tuber, as were my Nangkwaug's. They also put up a number of buds before the flowers started looking like they were supposed to. On the other hand, Several others from the same source did fine, right off the bat.

I guess the only thing I really learned is that sometimes, you just have to have patience.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline minnowman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 06:49:40 PM »
Congratulations Mike. Perseverance pays off.
Gary

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 06:55:00 PM »
I a so happy for you. I doubt mine will bloom I do not have but maybe 50 growing days left this summer.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2011, 07:11:55 PM »
Mike,you deserve nice blooms off that plant.Lord knows you've been patient enough.
Congratulations. They are beautiful.

Marie

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"