Author Topic: Huge Blue Heron  (Read 1993 times)

Offline Kirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Huge Blue Heron
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:04:02 PM »
Came home this afternoon and found a HUGE Blue Heron standing next to the pond.  Had to scare it away several times during the afternoon since it returned after several minutes.  Not many of this years little ones left.  The Heron must of been dining for awhile before I saw him.   What is the best way to keep these critters away from the pond now that it has found a place for a free meal?
Kirby

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Huge Blue Heron
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 07:14:55 AM »
Oh, Kirby, sorry for this discovery. 

We have discussed herons many times here.  Plenty of people will pop up with ideas that have worked for them.    You might also do a search.   Everything from fishing line strung across the pond, screen covers, dogs, fake 'gators, spitters, etc.

In the meantime, good luck keeping that critter away from your fishies.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 07:36:17 AM »
We netted both our ponds.  Good Luck protecting your fish!

Cindy

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 08:24:14 AM »
The ONLY thing that ever worked for me was netting the pond. Plastic decoys that look like herons didn't work, even though many will tell you they are solitary feeders. I have personally seen them in the wild, lined up on the banks during a baitfish run, just like human fishermen will do at the most popular locations.

Leaf netting will do, but it needs to be suspended at least 2 feet above the surface of the water. I have found that they will spear fish thru the netting, if their beaks can reach the water. They will often do this and kill fish much larger than they can eat.  This is why I call them, "Birdzilla." So use the netting so they cannot duck their heads underneath it, while you are at it.

The good news is that they will eventually seek food that is easier to get and leave you alone for a while. But, keep a watch, as they will check back to see if things have changed again.

A small, yappy dog can work out, but at the risk of ticking off the neighborhood. My cats were no help in this regard, I think they admired the heron for it's fishing ablilities.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 09:20:46 AM »
Sorry to hear about the heron.  I think the only way to go is with a net.  I didn't want to do that, so I have given up on having any nice fish.  They pretty well cleaned me out.  Now I just have a few goldfish and a few not very nice koi.  It is useless for me to pay for fish, when they will just be eaten.   :'(

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 09:57:41 AM »
I built this canopy and it made a difference.
I believe it is a bit more attractive then a net.  It keeps out pine needles and debris to an extent!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Zoe

• Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 12:04:19 PM »
Jerry  I want that canopy! O0

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 01:12:57 PM »
Nice job on the canopy!

Being a DIY'er from waaay back, I think I'd take the "hoophouse" PVC greenhouse plans and make one myself. I have made one that got used as a greenhouse, but I think the design would be easy to adapt. (Including spray painting the white PVC!)

Just thinking outloud.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline reddad35

• Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 02:04:20 PM »
I have a 2 foot statue of a Bald Eagle overlooking my pond. I have never seen a cat, Heron, mouse, snake or racoon anywhere near my pond. This is my 4th year.

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 02:35:43 PM »
We have had our ponds for 16 years. Last year was the first time we had a heron visit.This year saw him 1time. Instead of a net, hubby drilled cedar logs with spokes radiating. No wading allowed. So far so good.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2011, 03:02:13 PM »
Mike it is basical a hoop house.  I covered it with shade fabric. 40%  I now know 60% would be better.
The height was scary, but I love the soaring look.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kirby

• Members
  • With us since: 28/12/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:56:19 AM »
Thanks for the replies.  Looks like Jerry's canopy would be a great solution although with the frequent winds we have it may be hard to hold it from blowing down.
I'll give it a try.
Kirby

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 08:37:22 AM »
My old aquatic greenhouse was made on the hoop house model, and covered with plastic. It went thru a number of Florida thunder storms with no problem. (Winds reaching 60 mph.) I suspect the shade cloth material would be less of a problem than the plastic, when it comes to wind.

The plan I found had a singe pipe beam running the lenght of the structure at the very top. I added a second one on each side, halfway down, also running the length of the house. I used 4 way connectors on all three of them. And I only used 1/2 in PVC pipe!

The plastic covering the structure was burried in a one foot deep trench on both sides and wasn't fastened in any other way except at the ends, where it folded down and was stapled to the 2X4 frame that closed the ends of the hoop house.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline minnowman

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 02:37:24 PM »
Be careful of using PVC pipe with greenhouse plastic. Some of them react with chemicals in PVC and it destroys the plastic sheeting. I learned this the hard way. Had to replace the plastic on a 28'x48' greenhouse after two years. The top rails for chain link fencing makes excellent hoops. You just have to find a way to bend it. I'm planning to make covers for my two deck ponds this Winter. I'll send pics.
Gary

Offline Mike S.

• Members
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
I think the hoop house plans mention problems with PVC and green house plastic. But I used a heavy construction plastic. The large roll was enough to cover it twice. The first covering went three seasons, and I should have replaced it with the other half, but I forgot to bring it in, so it was sun-rotted after laying out for the whole time.

I'm not quite sure, but I think the roll of plastic back then cost $30 or $40, and was enough to cover it twice. Since it was subject to the elements, flying tree branches and my cats, I think the cheaper construction plastic worked out much better than the "real deal" would have.

But, I think the subject here is heron protection, so either a shade cloth material would be best, or just leaf netting over the same type of frame.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 04:31:29 PM »
Get an ornery dog and keep him on the hungry side.

My pond is only exposed to the heron on less than half the side. It is planted to wintergreen, chameleon plant, and peppermint. Then running through it is a homemade fence. I'll see if I can find a picture. We haven't seen a heron or seen any dead fish or blood etc since the fence went up.

This was early in the season before the mint and stuff got their height but you get the idea. The wood is just leftover deck spindles cut in half and the ends mitred and then two rows of holes drilled in then and ran clothesline through the holes and tied knots on the ends.

This is the whole thing but taken so far back, it's hard to see.

But I see it was taken before we put up the fence and grew up the plants.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 04:42:07 PM by Esther »

Offline minnowman

• Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 06:11:26 PM »
beautiful water garden,Esther.
Gary

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"