Author Topic: Crape Myrtle  (Read 1773 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Crape Myrtle
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:34:54 AM »
In July the city removed a 45+ year old Jacaranda tree from the 2' wide parkway in front of our house.  The tree was too large for such a narrow parkway and it had lifted the sidewalk and curb.  They took out dozens of such trees in the neighborhood and after repairing the sidewalks, curbs and repaving the streets they replaced the trees with more suitable trees for that size of the parkway.  Home owners were given a choice of several suitable trees that would not damage the curbs or sidewalks.  I chose a Crape Mytle.  It had no flower buds at all when they planted it but it didn't take long for them to develop once the tree was in the ground. 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Crape Myrtle
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 10:49:45 AM »
A great Tree.  Not a fast grower though.  The ones with multiple trunks are magnificent.
I'd consider planting 2 in 1 hole if needed.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2011, 11:22:56 AM »
While sitting in the patio this morning I noticed a number of bees and hoover flies at the Crape Myrtle flowers.  I was curious if the flowers were fragrant and I approached one of the lower blossoms intending to poke my nose into it when I suddenly changed my mind.  This very religious and pious insect was feasting on a bee.  I then lectured him telling him that bees are the good guys......  I forgot to check to see if the blossoms had a nice fragrance.....

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2011, 11:45:24 AM »
Mikey, love the close up picture of the flower.   O0  I think we can plant Crape Myrtle here but the dwarf kind, I'm not sure.  The big ones die back yearly and never get tall.  Some don't even last through the winter.  Guess they do well from Zone 7 and, I'm @ Zone 6B.  I do love it when I go to Oklahoma City because they have it every where.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 08:03:10 AM »
Very nice you got to choose a beautiful flowering tree!  Did you get to choose the color too?

Great photo of one so pious  ;D

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 09:25:12 AM »
We had a choice of pink or red.  I chose red......which appears to be more of a bright pink.  The pink Crape Myrtle's that some other neighbors chose are a very light pink.  I couldn't find my pious friend this morning when I looked for him/her.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 09:32:16 AM »
Great pic of a gorgeous bloom and of the praying mantis!  Good thing you kept your nose clear of the beast.  Get back with us after you give that bloom a 'sniff'.  I've never seen one of those plants, I don't think, especially if they are not hardy here.  Those blooms remind me of lilacs.   :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:20:12 PM »
Local garden guru says that after these bloom, clusters of berries appear where the blooms were. He says if you remove those, you will often get a second blooming. Can't recall the guru's name, but he's been doing a radio talk show on Florida gardening for years.

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 05:00:00 PM »
Thanks Mike.  It's worth a try.

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 03:29:03 PM »
Our street tree when I lived in Garden Grove was a crepe myrtle - bloomed quickly in early summer, then the flowers were gone.  I thought, how boring!  Here in Arkansas crepe myrtles bloom all summer long and are gorgeous; I keep planting more!  Even with the extreme heat and drought this year that has caused much damage to many of my other trees, the crepe myrtles just keep on keepin' on. 

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2011, 06:10:24 PM »
My son planted two a couple years ago.  I tried to convince him that they don't do well here in zone 5b, he lost one the first winter and the other one is struggling.  They are blooming now and when he sees one in a yard he calls me to go check it out.  They are usually on the south side, up close as a foundation planting and they don't get very big, but they are beautiful!

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2011, 08:53:32 PM »
I love them!  We have four in our yard.  3 pinks and a purple.  Were already here, so don't know what kinds for sure.

Nice pics!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"