Author Topic: hummingbird  (Read 1832 times)

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
hummingbird
« on: August 29, 2011, 06:50:26 AM »
i've been extremely depressed [ yes , that's almost my normal state] for last week . this morning i went out and cleaned and refilled some bird feeders . as i was standing in drive cleaning out feeding ports on hummingbird feeder a hummingbird came and tried feeding from it . it only lasted about 30 or 40 seconds but really pleased me . i could feel the wind from its wings as it flew over my hand several times . it made me feel better for a while . . .peace .....and no , i haven't any pictures .

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: hummingbird
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 07:47:46 AM »
 :)  Have a good day Mr 2vetts

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 11:52:41 AM »
Some of the simplest things in life are a blessing
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 01:04:46 PM »
amen to that brother . one of my very favorite things is riding bike in country and watching clouds , i love clouds . i also go shoot basketball on sundays occasionally and about the only time i miss a shot is because of watching clouds . i tell anyone that happens to come past that i miss because it gives me more exercise by missing . have to admit i sometimes miss because of lack of skill but no need to discuss percentages . . .peace

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 01:27:09 PM »
I used to enjoy playing BB.  I mounted a backboard and rim on the outside wall of our garage above the door and facing the alley and enjoyed going out there from time to time to play.  I finally removed it after the "neighbors from hell" started using it without my permission and were abusing it and damaging my garage door.....
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 05:33:51 PM »
I love it when a hummie hovers nearby.  Even if I could I wouldn't be able to get a photo, not with my little dit-da-de-dit camera.  I love clouds too. We have been see many big white poofy clouds hanging over the local mountains where I'm sure there are thunderstorms.  Just moments that are so serene.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 05:40:11 PM »
Ohhh ...  I'd love to see some big puffy rain clouds   o(:-)

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 07:03:27 PM »
Ohhh ...  I'd love to see some big puffy rain clouds   o(:-)

Sue, maybe you should Google for some images.   lol lol lol lol
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:06:43 PM »
 8-)~  Now Scott...we did get  .07" during the night...still smelled when I got up this morning.   {:-P;; {:-P;;

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 08:08:48 PM »
Awesome!

I saw a hummingbird nest while visiting Annette at a SoCal ponders get together. Way cool!
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »
I made a "shepherd's hook" out of a 6-7' piece of conduit. I smashed the ends together and drilled a hole in the hook end. I hung a hummingbird feeder on the end and clamped an orange bowl down a ways, filled with grape jelly for the orioles. This feeder thingy is right outside our den window under the roof over hang.  Hardly a day passes that we don't smile or tell each other of something we observed of the hummers or orioles. I recently took pictures of the orioles but they are through the window from inside so not very good. We have had 4 orioles on the hook at one time. I wondered if it was parents and/or babies from this season.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:47:04 PM by Esther »

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2011, 06:22:13 AM »
Ahhhh, seeing a post like this makes me smile.   :)  We have 3 hummies that come back twice every year.  Last year we started seeing a pair of golden oreole.  They sure love the sugar water we put in the feeder.  And then there is the nasty wasps that love to hover and drink from the feeder.  They chase my hummies away so I don't really like them.  I will see if I can find the pictures my husband took of the hummies feeding from the feeder.  The golden oreoles are very fast and sensitive to any movement so we haven't had a chance to get a picture of them yet.

2vetts - My son loves clouds.  He wants to be a storm chaser and loves to tell me everything about clouds.   O0

Kuan

Offline 2vetts

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2011, 09:36:36 AM »
about the wasps , IF your feeder has simulated yellow flowers around feeding ports try painting them red [finger nail polish should work ] . this has worked in cases of bees not sure about wasps . . . .peace

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"