Author Topic: Construct a Koi pond on existing screened in concrete porch?  (Read 2817 times)

Offline Frito

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 03/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Construct a Koi pond on existing screened in concrete porch?
« on: September 03, 2011, 10:28:55 AM »
 I want to site a koi pond on my existing concrete patio. It is topped with patterned concrete also. Is there a concern for cracking the concrete? I would like to put about a 10 foot x 5 foot x 3 foot deep (at deepest). Would like to find a preformed pond, but don't think they make them that deep? The total porch is 12' deep by over 100' long, so this would be in a corner area with a stucco wall at the back, glass windows at 2' above floor on another side, and the third side is screen, as the whole area is screened in. It also does not get much sun except in the afternoon.
I want it at this location because we live by a lake and I don't want to deal with snakes, herons, racoons and other critters taking a dip. Any suggestions on any aspect of this project? And I have had ponds before, just not koi, or on a porch. o(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Construct a Koi pond on existing screened in concrete porch?
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 03:05:30 PM »
Wish I didn't have to deal with intruders to the pond either!  If your concrete is reinforced when they first poured the concrete you should be fine.  Have you thought of building a frame out of wood and lining with rubber liner?  There are plenty of people here who have done it.  If you plan on growing water plants sun is very important.  Waterlilies need plenty sun to flower.  The fish will be lucky to not have predators around!

Offline Tadpole

• Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2011, 09:37:35 AM »
You are talking about putting considerable weight on your existing patio. Reinforced concrete is a plus, but you need to determine how thick the patio slab is and what kind of base the patio was poured over. The water alone will weigh out at over 4 tons; add to that the construction material of the pond itself and you will have quite a bit of weight on on a 50 sq. ft. area. I would advise contacting the original patio contractor, if known, to get the slab specs or call a concrete contractor or qualified Hardscape contractor than can give you expert advice.

Offline Frito

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 10:32:21 AM »
I am getting very frustrated with my "design ideas".  What I want, and what I think I can do, with respect to the porch seems futile.  I just DO NOT want to put the pond outside.  Seriously, we live by a lake and already have way too many water snakes, and copperheads that manage to make it into our yard.  I have talked to our builder and the porch should be plenty adequate to hold a pond of the size I want.

Offline Tadpole

• Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 11:00:36 AM »
I am getting very frustrated with my "design ideas".  What I want, and what I think I can do, with respect to the porch seems futile.  I just DO NOT want to put the pond outside.  Seriously, we live by a lake and already have way too many water snakes, and copperheads that manage to make it into our yard.  I have talked to our builder and the porch should be plenty adequate to hold a pond of the size I want.

It seems to me that, if sufficient space is available, the safest solution would be to construct the pond directly adjacent to the existing patio. You will have eliminated the concern of the patio cracking, you have not decreased the size of the patio and you will then have the option of making the pond deeper and a lessening the height of the pond walls to a level more suitable for seating.

Offline pond nut

• Members
  • With us since: 08/08/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Seaboard Marine
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 04:13:47 PM »
Frito,

You caught my attention with what you want to do.........My pond was "cut" into my porch initially( wnet below the surface about 12-16 " as I want the depth but I also wanted a sit-a-ble  height around the pond.. About 10 yrs later I did add a  90 degree "leg" to into that went outside.... All that aside, on a porch in something like a "Florida Room" is the way to go,  in my opinion.  Not too much sun and it keeps out what you don't want ..........

I'm in S. Calif and also have a house in Homosassa, Florida.. If my wife would let me move there ( I'd do it in a heart beat) , the first thing I'd do is put a pond in my screened in patio.. It's my passion and what is love to play with..

A few pics I just took that my give you some ideas,,

Tony

Offline Frito

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 05:38:51 AM »
Thanks everyone for your suggestions and advice.  Pond Nut, your pictures are great!  I'm not sure of the permanence of a pond though, because if we ever move again, I don't want to have to leave it behind :no: :no:  I did that once before and it made me sad  :'(. We are going today to a pond place to look at some more possible options.  Another reason behind not wanting to put in yard is we would have to have a major redo of our sprinkler system, and that is not an option to me.
I'll keep you all updated to what I do!

Offline Frito

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 03:24:17 PM »
I went to a local water garden supplier today and watched a demo on different ways to construct a pond, and the lecturer suggested using a double wooden wall for my particular case..... not permanent, on a concrete porch, raised.  Anyway have any detailed construction advice?

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"