Author Topic: Cleaning Kiddie Pools  (Read 1260 times)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Cleaning Kiddie Pools
« on: September 23, 2011, 06:26:32 PM »
My tanks have been green/nasty all summer.  I decided to do complete clean outs before winter.  I drained the first one this afternoon moving the lilies and fish to a different tank.  When I was ready to vacuum the bottom, I couldn't believe the holes I found.  this tank had been holding water all summer. I have been looking at WalMart for weeks without any luck.  I have one spare kiddie pool but went on line to hunt more.  Not much luck...out-of-stock...most places.  Sears/Kmart indicates that they have some, I hope they do.

I replaced two already this summer so hopefully there is just one more needing replaced.  They will usually last 3 winters.

Offline Tadpole

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/01/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Cleaning Kiddie Pools
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2011, 06:41:42 PM »
Why not construct some durable tanks with EPDM and concrete block. A small up-front expense but they will last a heck of a lot longer and are not subject to leaking due to corrosion or UV degrading.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2011, 07:25:19 PM »
I had the 8' galvanized tanks already...yes leaky...use the kiddie pools for liners.   {:-P;;  When a $20 pool will last 3 yers, there really isn't much expense considering.  Besides the tanks really do fit in with my landscaping  ;)

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2011, 01:20:46 PM »
 {:-P;;  Oh what a beautiful morning.  Oh  what a beautiful day.   {:-P;;  (Ray Charles)

I got the new liner in the tank and it refilled without a hitch.  The herds has grown despite the hot summer and I was lucky to only have about a dozen babies to remove. 

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »
Looking good Sue! 

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2011, 12:46:22 PM »
Sue I find alot of times those holes are being caused from crawdads....especially if your seeing lots of tiny holes...I'd try laying something down between the rusted tank and the kiddie pool--maybe old shingles turned upside down....or keep the old bottoms of the pools and lay them under the new one....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2011, 04:09:28 PM »
I put old carpet in the tanks before the kiddie pools...it works.  No crawdads here.  I'm pretty sure that when we removed the slabs of ice last winter that we dropped some and punctured the liner.  I had at least two stepping stones over known holes.  They are just brittle and will probably cause a problem during the winter, so I am replacing before it get too cold.  Hubby actually brought out "his" shop vac and helped today.  We have all 4 drained and 3 refilled.  Just waiting for the new "liner" to arrive to refill the last one.   

We didn't do a complete cleanout this spring or summer so it was really overdue.  Our water is only $2.50 per 1000 so it is "cheap" enough to do a couple of cleanouts each year.  These tanks have no pumps/filters.  I did add air pumps during the hot summer and will run them all winter also.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"