Author Topic: Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden in....  (Read 2749 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden in....
« on: October 17, 2011, 02:22:32 PM »
Did you know it is in Des Moines, Iowa!?! 

Before going to Des Moines I asked a few people what there was to do in Des Moines.  No one but my brother said the BHG Test Gardens are there.  I couldn't believe he knew this and he was surprised I didn't know since I used to subscribe to the magazine as he does now.  Guess I like picture books more.

Naturally I arrived on Thursday and they only open Fridays from noon to 2pm, May through September.  I almost missed out and got there on Sept 15!  Anyhow here are photos of the garden from outside the gated walls.  You know I will return the next day to gain entrance.

This is the parent company of BHG corporate headquarters, Meredith Corp.
The formidable wall surround on 3 sides of the garden.  There are gated wall openings for viewing pleasure which is how I was able to take a few shots on the closed day.
Seating deck next to the rock garden and pond.
Downtown view of Des Moines from the Garden.  Across the street is an impressive sculpture park.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden in....
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2011, 03:12:13 PM »
I returned on Friday and waited for the good folks at BHG open the gates for visitors.  They had 2 gardeners (femmes!) tending the garden and a few tour guides, also gardeners at BHG,.  The day started out cold, overcast and rainy.  By noon the rain stopped and we were excited to explore.  Mind you the garden is at it least planted now with just a couple of weeks before it closes for the winter.

This is a test and photograph garden which the magazine shows it's gardening experiments.  I recognize a few structures and many of the plants in the magazine.

I liked the concrete molded plaques laid down here and there in the pathways including the BHG insignia.

The lit up water fountain in the center of the garden provides a nice table seating area surrounded by potted angels trumpets.

Potted flowers by the entrance like you see in the magazine.

In the Shade Garden a cool pot fountain surrounded by hostas looks familiar too.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2011, 03:19:05 PM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
I like the size and construction of this small pond next to an arbor covered dining area I can envision in anyone's backyard.

Another concrete molded tile of a waterlily.

The dining area.

I prpobably should have taken a photo of the name tag for this cool daisy like flower bush.  I want some!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
Pathway designs are spread throughout the garden including this perennial border path.

Very awesome hydrangea tree.

My kinda tool shed.

The fenced in vege and herb garden.  I got plenty ideas here!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2011, 03:32:56 PM »
After walking clockwise through the Test Garden the beautifully designed pond and stream came into sight.  Wish I had seen a garden that would fit in my backyard (and into my neighbors too  :D ) like this.  Love the stream and rocks around it.  So jealous that in this weather they can grow plants that struggle in my pond!

A beautifully planted pond flanked by red Japanese maples.  The deck in the beginning of this post is just to the left background.

Look at all those lily flower buds!

Very peaceful setting for stream behind pond.

Large lotus leaves...still!  My pond needs a talking too  >:(

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2011, 03:39:11 PM »
It was like walking through a magazine everything was so picture perfect.  I enjoyed my short but enriching visit to this garden.  Won't my brother be so jealous  {:-P;;

Still more lilies.

Covered seating across the path from the pond.

The top of the stream.  Yeah sure, I can lift rocks like that into place, easy peasy!  So many ideas.  I've run out of room and DH won't let me make any more changes.  Party pooper  ;)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2011, 06:15:31 PM »
Wonderfull as always! O0
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2011, 06:26:18 PM »
I had no idea they had their garden testing area in Iowa....or that they even had any gardens.  Nice discovery and thanks for sharing it with us.  A subsidiary of BHG, Country Gardens, came out about a year and a half ago to do a photo shoot of our pond.  That was the year the pond was attacked by raccoons and it never looked worse.....  Very disappointing....

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 07:41:37 AM »
Everything looks great considering how late in the season it was, even the hostas don't look too bad.

I borrowed a couple gardening books from the library this summer and recognize a lot of those structures!

Thanks for posting the pics.

Karen

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2011, 11:08:46 AM »
I can't believe how much you get around Annette!   8)  I'm really kind of jealous though.  Your pictures are stunning--what a gorgeous place!  Thanks for sharing them, it gives me great ideas!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline ponderer

• Members
  • With us since: 04/01/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2011, 11:33:46 AM »
Very nice. Thanks for sharing o(:-)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2011, 11:34:42 AM »
What a relaxing day that would have been.  Thanks for sharing.

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 08:26:31 PM »
Yeah, well, the gardens might be beautiful... but you ALWAYS take the nicest photos! No matter where you are, they are top notch. Thank you!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
Thank you all for the compliments!  Who knew in the middle of nowhere this garden existed?  No insults to those who live there in Iowa, but the only reason I was in Des Moines was to accompany my DD to another school interview (got on the wait list - that's ok 'cause she can't handle the truth...it can get darn freezing cold there!!!)  It was very cold on 3 of the 4 days we stayed!  The temp hovered around the low 60's with rain showers.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2011, 09:02:19 PM »
How cool is it to have a publication recognize your talent!  Mikey, if only the magazine came out to your pond earlier!  It was fabulous the time I visited as is the rest of your garden. 

The test gardens also had guide tours that we listened in on here and there.  They have a special cameras in the garden taking photos of the growth and decline of plants grown in groups.  The vege garden was still growing better than my own (but then again I'm the only gardener with limited time to work on it).

All green leaves on this tomato plant!?!  Mine are brown and going bye-bye!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2011, 09:05:06 PM »
No need to be jealous LuAnn, it was all business, and quiet time while DD practiced interviews in the hotel.Hotels are never as good as living at home.  Both DD and I are phobic about hotel bed linens and furniture being full of germs and bad stuff!  :o  And something else, I wouldn't tell just anyone, only to close friends - toilet paper = sandpaper!  :redface: Which also = sick and tired of restaurant food  :P

Indi Karen, I recognized most of the garden areas too.  AND the plants are so well maintained.  The day before we were allowed into the garden there was literally to women gardeners trimming, cutting, raking and mowing the grass.  They were busy bees!  See them in the photo!

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2011, 07:22:01 AM »
That's funny Annette about the hotel rooms/beds....I'm PHOBIC about it too.  I don't like to even put my bare feet on the floor or carpet.  Ick. 

And I had to laugh at what you consider 'cold temperatures'--60's!    lol  I think it's a refreshing break from the awful heat and humidity we had this summer!  When the wind stings your cheeks while you are working or walking outside makes life worth living!  I am a little weird though:  I like cold weather.   8)    ::)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2011, 03:42:23 PM »
We've seen the news reports on how unclean hotels and restaurants actually past the surface and that just totally takes the freedom out of enjoying hotel amenities.  :o

Well LuAnn, cold is relative  :D ....I'm in SoCal where temps in the 60's have most people wearing warm boots (ugly UGGS) with little more than beach clothing to prevent the chill. The weatherman gets all excited that there is more to weather than hot.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2011, 08:01:34 AM »
Wow, lovely pictures Annette!  I was born in Iowa and I didn't even know BHG was there!  I subscribe to that magazine as well!

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden in....& the Park
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2011, 10:11:25 AM »
Hi Tonya!  It's amazing how many people I know and/or people who have family who were born in Iowa!  They asked what I thought or what I did there, for entertainment.

I was told by locals when we visited that Des Moines underwent a grand transformation in the past few years.  I was impressed by the redesigned downtown and the generosity of donors to the John and Mary Pappajohn Sculpture Park smack dab in the center of town.  It is described as a world class showcase for modern art.  It's the size of a few downtown blocks.  All grass and mounds with paths meandering through the park dotted with large sculptures.  FREE!

Some of these sculptures were artwork the Pappajohns kept on their property in town that they donated to the park!  :o
« Last Edit: October 21, 2011, 10:20:55 AM by miguynmkoi »

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: Better Homes and Gardens Test Garden in....and the Park
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2011, 10:20:27 AM »
Guys in the background doing the "Spidy" thing.  :P

Oh I didn't mention, this sculpture park is right across the street from BHG Garden.  Here's the downtown and park view from BHG entrance.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2011, 10:45:56 AM »
Annette,

I've never actually been to Des Moines other than to drive through on our way to Minnesota last Easter, but from the pic's looks like a pretty nice place.

I was born in a small town named Estherville, near Spirit Lake, etc.

Looks like you had a good time!

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"