Author Topic: Its going to get real bad here tomorrow night  (Read 1548 times)

Offline gander

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Its going to get real bad here tomorrow night
« on: January 12, 2007, 11:28:16 AM »
They are predicting over an inch of Ice. I have a few tropicals that are still outside. I know I left a couple of huge Lavender laces outside but I hve lots of smaller ones to take their place. I noticed this 4 inch pot the other day, I went out today and stuck my hands down in the cold water and plucked it out. I am not sure what it is. I am sure it will be a blue though. It will either be Bob Tricket. Woods Blue Goddess or Robert Strawn. There are 3 nice sized tubers in this pot. We have had quite a bit of ice already this year but I have had quite a few tropical water lilies winter over before.
Here is a list of ones that wintered over outside for me last year. I left these out by mistake but it was a good thing as the ones I tried to winter over died. I am in zone 7b also brought in the last of the wh.
Miami Rose
Albert Greenberg
Robert Strawn
Woods Blue Goddess
Lavender lace
Tina
and that God awful one that I wanted to die Nangkwag Indian Goddess

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Its going to get real bad here tomorrow night
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 11:48:52 AM »
I brought Foxfire and Albert Greenberg in the house in case the greenhouse heat dies. I left Carla's Sonshine, Blue Beauty, Lavender Lace, Bagdad and a red nightbloomer in the greenhouse. I hope the heat stays on or my passionflowers and hibiscus are dead..Jerry, I brought the succulents in that you sent  (8:-) I really like them..

Offline Reedman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 07:30:58 PM »
Hope there will be no damage. 

That severe weather alert is even on our local southcentral PA weather.com site.   :no:
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2007, 06:54:58 AM »
Yup, we are in for it here as well.  We got lucky last night and all of ours stayed rain.  It is slowing changing over now though.  They are still calling for 1/4" to 1/2" of ice tonight and sunday.  Would have been around an inch had it been ice last night.  Hopefully you get lucky as well.  The weather sure has been weird this year.  This is our 2nd ice storm of the season.  I guess despite everything we can't complain too much we have been enjoying 50 and 60's for the past 3 weeks.  Highly unusual for around here. 

I hope your plants make it.  I would sure hate to get this close to spring only to loose them. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline gander

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2007, 07:01:33 AM »
well so far no ice but lots of rain. we did loose power for about 3 hours this morning. It is supposed to get worse tonight and in the morning.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2007, 07:49:28 AM »
Its been freezing rain here since yesterday morning..All of the trees are covered with ice...alot of them are breaking under its weight..Funny how 45 min. one way or the other can make such a difference...Gary only live 45 min. South of me .....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2007, 08:33:04 AM »
That sounds nasty. I hope your gardens don't suffer too much damage.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2007, 02:43:31 PM »
May your favourite plants survive!

Cheers

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 05:21:46 PM »
Mike most of my favorite plants are in the gh...they all should be fine...we do have one huge red cedar in our front yard that has alot of sentimental value to us....we lost 4 large limbs on it a few weeks back from an ice storm...so far it is sagging badly but, holding up....We are really concerned right now about a large tree out back...I have my 5,000 gallon pool under that houses ALL of my babies from this year...probably 200-400 babies all together....including some asagi, showa , shiro utsuri and hi utsuri......I am sure hoping no big limbs fall on it and bust it  :'( :'( :'(
Lawanna

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2007, 07:40:58 AM »
We have about an inch of sleet. And we are suposed to get freezing rain and snow today.  Right now it is 22*. We have had weather in the sixtys. This sucks.

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2007, 07:45:26 AM »
My greenhouse heater went down for about 4 hours, it got to freezing temps but not for long. It's functional again but the greenhouse is frozen shut with at least an inch of ice now. Most all stores are closed down. We just had a thundersleet storm and now it's snowing..this is the worst I've seen since we've lived here.
Hope y'all as well as the babies and plants stay safe and power stays on..you're right, it does suck..

Offline tranquility

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2007, 08:10:28 AM »
Kay are you heating with elect.? thats the bad thing about elec. heat..no elect. no heat  :(.........We put gas into the big gh 2 years ago....I love it...now I need to get water into both gh's and gas into the little gh where we keep the goldies and some of the baby koi in thru the winter.....How is everyone doing this morning? do you have electicity? We still have both elect. and phone service...thank goodness and so far no limbs have fallen and caused any damage...what has fallen are small enough and away from any structures....
Lawanna

Offline CT

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2007, 07:00:46 PM »
Yes, we started with electricity but of course something happened and the electric heater got flaky and it dropped to freezing for several hours. Now there is propane heat out there until we can get something more permanent. (Thank God for camping equipment). This is my first winter with the greenhouse and it's obvious that the electric heat won't keep it warm enough with this kind of weather..50 at best. I may have lost my mosiac plant because I forgot it was out there  :'(
I was stranded at work and just got back because of the weather so I haven't been out to check the damage.
We never lost power because it was sleet instead of freezing rain. I'm glad things are good there. I feel so sorry for the people that are still without power. Single digit temps  :(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"