Author Topic: Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...........It's cold............  (Read 4172 times)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...........It's cold............
« on: January 12, 2007, 03:11:35 PM »
It's really chilly today and tonight it's supposed to get down to 32 degrees. :o  That's cold for this neck of the asphalt jungles......   I checked the low temperature historical data going back five years and it's only been as low as 32 degrees once in this area.  I hung out a 90 watt light bulb for an ornamental banana that's away from the house where it's not protected.  Hopefully that will be enough.  I think the rest of the tropicals are protected enough.....  At least I hope so....... :-\
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Brrrrrrrrrrrrr...........It's cold............
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2007, 03:47:19 PM »
Could you cover it with a bed sheet or something to help keep the heat in?

Offline MikeW

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 03:56:35 PM »
Draped plastic tarps over as many hibiscus and plumeria as I could. Sean mentioned a bedsheet for the banana as well, so figure I'll go drape one out there.

Now please, no wind with that 32 degrees! My local forecast is still calling for 29 tomorrow night. Thus far, 41 has been the minimum I have dealt with since planting tropicals.

I guess this is Mother Nature's way of a periodic reminder that the So. Cal. climate is Mediterranean, not subtropical!

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Craig

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2007, 04:42:02 PM »
Hello Mikes,

Every once in awhile we get a freeze here as well, so this is the some advise based on the concensus of the local knowledgeables.

Wind is actually your friend!  It keeps the air mixed and a frost becomes less likely at temps around 32.  If it is wind chill you are concerned with...that affects only warm blooded animals.  If you think about it, a rock for example is whatever ambient air temp is.  They have no heat for the wind to suck out.  In fact, the big, big, farms fly helicopters over the crops to generate wind to protect the crops..

Plastic is very bad.  It holds condensation that then freezes.  A heavy woven cloth is better.  If you have to use plastic....don't let it touch the plants.  If it does it will have no insulation value...combined with the condensation, like I said very bad.

If you can cover your favorite plants with a sheet and run water on the ground under the cover, that works too.  Or keep a constant spray on the plants.  Problem is if power fails and you lose the spray....

Anyway...this all just applies to temps near 32, dip much into the 20's and you need to add heat....which the water will do.  Problem here is that with ineffiecient central heat ( as it isn't used much) brown outs are common and if the water stops..you're screwed.

If the banana has any size to it at all, a night watt bulb is useless.  The heat will dissapate too quickly.  A plain old sheet like Ester suggested will buy you 2 maybe three degrees and be more serviceable.  If you have access to agricultural crop covers they are your best bet and even then you are only looking at maybe five degrees...which at 32 is a big gain.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2007, 05:27:13 PM »
Thanks for the suggestions.  I also tossed a sheet over the banana.  Will the green pinstripes on the sheet help? :D  I recall when there used to be hundreds of acres of orange groves in the Redlands area and they had large wind machines that they would turn on during a freeze in order to keep the air moving.  The also used smudge pots if they expected it to get really cold in addition to the wind machines.  Right now there is a good breeze outside, however, we seldom have windy nights so I expect the wind to die out as it gets dark.

All my other tropicals are closer to the house or next to the pond and I'm hoping the radiant heat from the house and the moving water from the pond will help out those plants.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2007, 05:47:31 PM »
OK, plastic all removed. Every sheet, duvet cover, pillowcase and towel I own is draped tastefully over the garden. I tried to colour coordinate for the neighbours benefit, but it is now dark and cold, so what is, will have to be.

After all this I think I will be disappointed if we don't have an ice storm. (Famous last words!)

Cheers,

Mike

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2007, 06:43:02 PM »
I have too many plants to protect.  I put a sheet over the Poinciana tree.  it was not looking happy.  The African sausage tree seems OK.  I took some tropical patio plants to the unheated greenhouse.  The Plumeria  is under a big overhang.  Fingers crossed!
 Good tips Craig! O0
This cold spell is only for a few nights......they say!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2007, 11:42:24 PM »
Mike: Your being located on a fairly steep hillside should also benefit you as cold air will slide down toward the flatlanders.....  I'm sure your neighbors will appreciate your sheets and other laundry.  It will give the neighborhood an Italian village ambiance with all that laundry blowing in the wind.... ;)

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2007, 08:37:28 AM »
I know - What is the freeze protection etiquette when a heliconia is covered in an emerald green duvet, and the only cover left for the three ft away hibiscus is a violently clashing bright blue? This California gardening thing is not as easy as it first seemed!

Actually, I was not taking it too seriously until a neighbour, who has been in his house for 23 years, and an avid gardener, rushed out at dusk to drape all his plumeria for the first time in over a decade. Time for steps to be taken I told myself.

Seems like tonight is going to be the real bear.

Keep warm,

Mike

Offline maryvonne

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My photo albums
« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2007, 08:48:38 AM »
So did your gardens survive the night? We were down to -10C last night and the night before. We have more than a foot of snow which helps insulate the garden, but don't know if the banana tree will survive that.

Maryvonne
Maryvonne
Surrey B.C.
Canada

zone 7-8

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2007, 09:27:27 AM »
There's a breeze outside now and it's too chilly for me to venture outside...... :P  However, looking through the windows things seem okay.  It was a very dry chill we had - no frost.  I'm not certain yet but I doubt it got down to 32 as predicted.

Offline Lynda

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2007, 11:31:25 AM »
I just looked at Long Beach Airport on WeatherBug, and they're predicting a low of 25 tonight????  Is that even possible?  I lived in So Cal for the first 50 years of my life, and I don't remember it EVER getting that cold in the coastal area.  Good grief, that's colder than we're predicted to get in Arkansas tonight, and we're on the very edge of an ice storm! 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2007, 02:29:59 PM »
29 last night in the unheated greenhouse.  I don't remember anything like this ever.
If the "Royal Poinciana" tree survives, I may never need worry again.
The garden looks like crap!   The seed Catalogs look wonderful!  Hope springs eternal!
Lynda i have been here 57 years, makes me almost a native.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2007, 03:33:16 PM »
Jerry - Sean just sent me some Royal Poinciana seeds. If yours die, I can let you have some of our Canadian tropical dealers offspring.
This is what I love about the Left Coast - Canadians supply Californians with Mexican seeds! All cool unless they are Cuban cigars.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2007, 05:07:58 PM »
Thanks Mike I will take you up on that kind offer.
Note our tempeture logos.  Can we be that much colder than your location?
To our readers, Mike and Me are less than 20 miles apart.

below, view from kitchen window.                           kidding
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007, 05:13:46 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline frloplady

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2007, 05:41:12 PM »

Wind is actually your friend!  It keeps the air mixed and a frost becomes less likely at temps around 32.  If it is wind chill you are concerned with...that affects only warm blooded animals.  If you think about it, a rock for example is whatever ambient air temp is.  They have no heat for the wind to suck out.  In fact, the big, big, farms fly helicopters over the crops to generate wind to protect the crops..

Apple growers use wind machines...basically they are not unlike plane props on a tower that rotates.  Can sound like an airport here in spring on some frosty nights.

Blossoms are also protected using overhead sprinklers... if that isn't a sight in the morning..ice encrusted trees and th morning sun shining on them!   8)

We live on top of a ridge and wind is our best friend..is why my FIL bought this property 50 years ago..he knew the top of the ridge would have wind and help protect the trees and blossoms in spring.

Hope you all faired well with your plants and the cold.  Was 8 here last night and 19 now at 5:40
Mary

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2007, 07:06:46 PM »
Hey Jerry,
I think that is the first picture that you ever posted that isn't wearing a bikini!!!  :)

Love it,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2007, 07:44:02 AM »
A sheet of ice on my pond this morning - nothing I ever thought I'd live to see. Very, very thin sheet, but ice. Who'd a thunk it?

One banana looking very sad and droopy, but the one close to the house unaffected.

Cheers,

Mike

Offline -Greg-

• Members
  • With us since: 27/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Casa de Gunkel
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2007, 08:38:13 AM »
29 here in Palm Springs last night, way to cold for me! I wish the "global warming" effect would reach us here!
Seems like I am back in Michigan all over again...

Greg

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2007, 08:49:39 AM »
Sorry Steve, i know how much you hate that!
Here is an east coast annual polar Bear swim. As you can see one stalwart lass is wearing a bikini
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2007, 09:37:00 AM »
My huge elephant ears seemed to do pretty well, but, alas, the cold temps took their toll.
Took this shot moments ago :'( :'( :'(
moments ago.
The shot below was this past summer.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2007, 09:45:37 AM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2007, 10:57:46 AM »
Sorry to see that damage Jerry.  I have a lot of plants also showing damage from the freeze.  However, the banana that I was concerned about survived.  Some of the exposed leaves were damaged but the main plant is okay.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2007, 10:22:22 PM »
Yes it's worse than I thought, but i think most plants will come back.
They say it has not been this cold since the 1930s  so let's hope this is the last of it for years to come.  Even the plants suited to this Mediterranean climate are not pleased.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2007, 10:21:50 AM »
Yes, three days of freezing temperatures is quite enough!  It's been a very long time since we had this kind of cold weather.  If this Alaskan weather front is heading east I feel sorry for those folks.  As I toured the garden today I see I will have a lot of pruning to do as a lot of plants show damage.  Hopefully I will not have lost any plants but only time will tell.

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2007, 10:59:47 AM »
You think 32 degrees is bad, try -12 this morning at 6am! Its up to 8 degrees now. What a heat wave. lol
I HATE this cold! It hasn't been this cold here in many years.
Hope you guys don't lose too many of your plants.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Argos5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2007, 12:28:59 PM »
Went on a short cruise Friday...came back this morning (Mon.)...cannas, water hyacinth, hibiscus, bougainvillea and even the geraniums all got hammered by the cold...what's the best way to help the plants survive, if any ?

Ventura County, California, Zone 8b

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2007, 01:53:01 PM »
You think 32 degrees is bad, try -12 this morning at 6am! Its up to 8 degrees now.
No thanks, 29 degrees or thereabouts was more than enough.  I can't even imagine -12.  A friend in the local mountains reported they got down to -5 a couple days ago. 

what's the best way to help the plants survive, if any ?
Since you couldn't protect things in your absence, I think it's matter of wait & see....  So, how was the cruise?

All my water hyacinths are mush....  They would usually look poorly in the winter but they would manage to survive until Spring and then they would take off.  They are now compost :(  I believe my terrestrial plants will survive.  Most of the upper exposed foliage took a beating such as shown below.

This is a semi-tropical tupidanthus.  I'll loose all those top dark leaves but I think most of the branches are okay and I expect it to quickly recover.  The lower leaves were protected by the house and they are still green.

And below is my hibiscus and again only the upper foliage was damaged.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 02:00:21 PM by Mikey »

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2007, 02:02:53 PM »
Sorry Mike, my tupidantus and Sheflerria and Hibiscus look like yours.
The wonderful Tetra stigma voinarium vine on my back gate and block wall is brown too. It has been fine for 20 years!.  What a #$%$@# mess!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2007, 02:19:13 PM »
The good news is that my compost piles will be well fed (8:-)  Gotta always keep an eye out for that silver lining (8:-) :)

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2007, 03:42:50 PM »
geeez, hope your all plants recover.  were use to it here, although its been unseasonally warm this year.  but were starting to feel a chill in the air tonight, the plants are so mixed up here.  some of the flowering trees have buds on them...lol, with all the rain, the side walk has been full of worms etc...

Kim
« Last Edit: January 15, 2007, 11:32:38 PM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"