Author Topic: One down, two to go...  (Read 2248 times)

Offline mascot

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 16/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
One down, two to go...
« on: November 22, 2011, 11:06:36 PM »
At 50 years old, I went back to school... and that means I haven't been in a real classroom (as a student) since 1979 - 32 years!

Well, now that my second semester is coming to an end, I have finals.  I had my "college math 1" final this evening, and spent much of the day studying... and worrying... and stressing.

After the class, I asked my teacher to go over a problem for me so I could be sure.  She decided to grade my final right there and I waited patiently...

... and waited...

...I'll bet you're wondering what I got?

... well, it wasn't 100%, but she did tell me

...that....

I got the second highest grade in the class on this final exam, which she said is about a 98%!
So that means that I'll get an A for this semester.

One more tomorrow, and another next week. 

Wish me luck!

I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: One down, two to go...
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 12:17:26 AM »
never had any doubt.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2011, 07:58:50 AM »
Congratulations Michael.  Did you give your teacher an apple?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2011, 08:28:52 AM »
Congratulations Michael.  Did you give your teacher an apple?

Thanks...
No, I think she is PC, not Mac! lol

I did, however, give her a great review (part of the questionaire they give us each semester).  Unfortunately, she isn't going to be my next math teacher for College Math II.  but I hear the other teacher is really good as well.
I'm broke and can't afford to pay attention, so you might have to lend me an ear.

Offline purplepshn2004

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • me
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:04:30 AM »
Congrats! 

I took evening and weekend classes at the college after being out of school for 11 years and had two small children.  It was a scary time, but I found I did so much better and cared so much more than when I was in school, and got much better grades!

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2011, 02:13:42 PM »
I was 28 and went back to High School do get my GED. I felt guilty for many years and my Mother was ashamed.  You all know how they all tell you you need a Diploma.
I had a Government class.  After 2 sessions Mr Kaufler asked me why the Hell I was there.
It was a class of folks who new little. I looked good by comparison.
He told me I didn't need a GED, it was crap.
He was right, I went on to teach at the college level with no High School diploma!
Pierce College ( a Communty College) and West valley Occupational Center where I created the Graphic Arts and Sign painting programs.

I got my teaching credential from The University of California at Santa Barbara.  No one ever asked to see my High School diploma!!!! EVER!
 O0< picture this icon flipping the bird!
« Last Edit: November 24, 2011, 02:15:48 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2011, 02:57:04 PM »
I was at a school that my (then) girlfriend taught at, and while I was searching for work I would go to her class and teach them art, soccer at recess, etc. and the school loved it.  I had each kid make a Mother's Day card and helped them all, and it went over huge.  They needed an art/music teacher and asked her if I could teach music... if so, they wanted to hire me.  No college, barely a HS Diploma.  It would have been fun, but I couldn't carry a tune if you put it in a bucket for me, so they had to find someone else.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2011, 08:23:16 AM »
You did well. I knew you would. I don't think I would though.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2011, 08:36:36 AM »
Great job on the math test.  I have always admired people that go back to school later in life.  I can't imagine getting into the studying mode, especially math.  I like to learn new things but math isn't one of them.

Interesting story Jerry.  O0

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2011, 10:58:19 AM »
Thanks for the words and the support.  Even my teacher laughed as she was grading my exam... she said, "You're funny.  I told you you didn't have anything to worrry about.  I knew you'd do well."  I guess I just don't want to be cocky and expect to do well then have to eat crow later!  {nono}  There's a guy in one of my classes that is smart, but even though we are friends and I respect him he is a little arrogant.  It's funny watching him get razzled when he saw that my overall grade was 98.2% and his was 98.1%.  He couldn't believe that my grade was higher... even though it was only .1%!  haha

I took my second final the other night, I don't know the result yet but I think I did well on that one too.  I don't want to put the cart before the horse, so I won't speculate too much other than to say that I felt very confident afterwards.

Next final: next wednesday......

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2011, 02:36:04 PM »
There's a guy in one of my classes that is smart, but even though we are friends and I respect him he is a little arrogant.
Is this the "know it all" guy you mentioned this summer who has an answer for everything?

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2011, 04:31:21 PM »
Quote from: Mikey
Is this the "know it all" guy you mentioned this summer who has an answer for everything?

haha.. no, I am trying to stay away from that guy altogether.  Would you believe that guy has a non-identical twin that does the same thing?  They've become friends... imagine that! 

No, this other guy is from a wealthy family and would rather pay someone to do something, but at the same time respects me for all the work I put into things.  I guess that's why we are friends... he knows he's spoiled, but doesn't look down on me just because I grew up kinda poor. 

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2011, 05:23:04 PM »
Looks like I got in a little late on this thread, but CONGRATULATIONS, MICHAEL!!!! Awesome job!  Doesn't it feel wonderful to do so well after working so hard and wanting it so badly?!   @O@   O0 

Hope it puts a 'spring' in your step--good luck on Wednesday too!
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2011, 08:49:26 AM »
thanks, LuAnn.  Yes, it feels great!  I hate to sound cocky, but after 32 years of not being in school it's kinda kewl to be the old guy in the class and get higher grades than the 20-something year olds!  There are some smart kids in the classes, but I am working hard and studying (such a new concept for me!) and I hope I can continue this trend. 

I had always been good in math, but not the harder stuff.  In the 11th grade (algebra II/trigonometry) our teacher had to grade on a curve because only 4 kids were getting high marks, usually high 90's, on tests.  I got a B+ on one test and I only had a 35/100!!  Truly that was not grading on a curve - that was grading on a sheer drop off a steep cliff! lol

Offline ram

• Members
  • With us since: 03/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2011, 05:48:46 PM »
Congrats Michael! I'm terrible at math and rely on my boyfriend to help me haha. I'm in Algebra II right now. I prefer music, I play violin, piano, trumpet, clarinet, and alto saxophone, but I don't sing. Guess there's a reason I'm in band and orchestra and not choir hahaha.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2011, 11:12:21 PM »
Have you heard Jackie Evancho?  I am enthralled by her. Only 10 and what a talent.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2011, 10:01:25 AM »
Hey Michael, Congrats on such a great attitude and grade!  I went back to college after !@:$-? years after attending U.  Why did I go back?  Well at the time my son was in high school and he decided to take a C++ class at the local college.  He didn't drive at the time an needed me to drive him.  I brilliantly decided to join him in the class.  Talk about over my head! 

DS was so supportive during the finals.  When he walked slowly past my desk to hand in his paper to the teacher, while I was grinding the last of my brain cells over the problems, he gave me a smirk.  He walked, again slowly, back to his desk to collect his stuff.  When he walked by me to leave he threw a napkin on my desk.  When I looked at it there on the surface were answers he wrote for me! 

After I turned in the paper DS said I looked pathetic and the answers to questions he was able to read when he walked by we're just as pathetic  :P  I got a B and now get ribbed about it all the time.  Not right to cheat but DS says he did it his old mom, for my doing the hard time, and driving him to classes.  Nuff said.

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2011, 01:27:38 PM »
Thanks, Annette.

I took my last final this morning and feel pretty confident with that one too.  I asked about my grade for my second final (same teacher as today, but different subject), I and several others got a 94 - only one person had a grade higher than that, he got a 96.  So, again, I was the second highest grade in that class, too (tied for second with a couple others).  I think the one today is going to be a high mark as well, so ... fingers crossed!

There are a lot of younger kids in my class as well... I feel like a 'life mentor' to so many of them because while they're just getting started on the rest of their lives, and work in general, I've already been out there for over 30 years now and some of them ask questions and like hearing some of my experiences. 

But if just one of those little punks calls me "pops" I'm gonna slap him!  lol

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2011, 03:31:54 PM »
Make sure you let us know how well you did Michael.  Love your attitude about it all, and maybe that's why the kids are drawn to you too.  And I'm sure they wouldn't DARE to call you "pops"... ;)   :o
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline mascot

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2011, 06:47:05 PM »
Thank you, LuAnn!  I can only hope that doing well in school will help me to get a good job soon.  Since I had to start over, I really think I'll like being a network administrator when I grow up!  lol

I'll let you know how the last final goes... and if I make honor roll again.  (that, in itself, makes me feel like a kid again!!) @O@

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"