Author Topic: The Green Thing! Do you Recycle?  (Read 1796 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
The Green Thing! Do you Recycle?
« on: December 02, 2011, 04:48:05 PM »

The Green Thing
Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the older woman that she should bring her own grocery bags because plastic bags weren't good for the environment.
The woman apologized and explained, "We didn't have this green thing back in my earlier days."

The clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

She was right -- our generation didn't have the green thing in its day.

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the green thing back in our day.

We walked up stairs, because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the green thing in our day.

Back then, we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw-away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy gobbling machine burning up 220 volts -- wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right. We didn't have the green thing back in our day.

Back then, we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen, we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn. We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right. We didn't have the green thing back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blades in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the green thing back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus, and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service. We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 2,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest pizza joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the green thing back then?

Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smartass young person.

Remember:

"Don't make old people mad.
                 We don't like being old in the first place,
                    so it doesn't take much to piss us 

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The Green Thing! Do you Recycle?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2011, 05:26:17 PM »
TY Sir!  Love it!

Offline reddad35

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2011, 05:31:36 PM »
However since we are where we are, it's ok to jump on the green thing now. Every little thing helps even though the younguns ruined it.

Offline Jerry

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2011, 10:47:42 PM »
After seeing John Wayne shave whith a straight razor , I was bound and determined to do it!  He did look great doing it.
I got decent at it after spilling a lot of blood :'(
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Waterbug

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 13/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2011, 03:09:59 PM »
My rant of the day...

I used to recycle big time, build green, the whole nine yards. Now I'm trying not to, but it's a difficult adjustment. The reality that not letting the water run while bushing our teeth probably isn't going to safe the planet. And besides, the planet is going to be just fine. Humans need saving. It distracts us from reality to think a few minor adjustments will have any effect. I should drive a fuel efficient car to what end? So someone in the future can use the last gallon of gas to drive their SUV to the corner store for a pint of ice cream one last time?

The human race has probably grown way past the ability to ever live in a sustainable manner. And even if we not there yet there's zero chance of us ever changing, not even close. We're going in the opposite direction as fast as possible. Wave the flag and declare our right to do whatever we want is our motto.

Recycling and green is just a way to make our destructive behavior last a little longer, give maybe one more generation a shot at wasting everything they can get our hands on like we did. I'm old, what do I care if it's the next generation that's screwed or the one after that. I get why young people might care, although not enough to actually do anything. If we prolong the waste a little longer they may not have to deal with the ramifications in their lives...their children will.

It's our nature. We can't help it any more than the scorpion could.

We may be living at the height of easy living for humans. Rome in the Caligula days. We may as well enjoy it because the end result is the same.

Offline just.me

• Members
  • With us since: 22/11/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2011, 05:18:10 PM »
I'm old too, a year in front of you. I will not "screw" the generation behind me or my grandchildren or their children.   In the mean time, take care of what you got.  No matter how you do it...it's not that difficult.
Waving the flag....
Again,
Just me.

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2011, 05:25:28 PM »
Waterbug???? I have grandchildren. I am guessing you do not. I hope you go peacefully.

Saving water or fuel or resources is 100% different than the idea that humans have grown to large for the planet. A desease or war will take care of our population. saving water will do nothing to stop that but might make it easier on future generations when the planet is purged.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2011, 05:29:11 PM by reddad35 »

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2011, 05:46:48 PM »
I drive a Hybrid auto. Three reasons One, I get over 50 mpg!!!  Another other is making a statement.
three, I send less money to the Middle East.
My wife has 2003 prius. Mine is a 2008
Are there flaws in my argument?  Sure, but it's the best I can do.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline reddad35

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2011, 06:58:32 PM »
Fabulous Jerry. I meant no harm. You even make your own compost. Nobody should give up though.

Offline Waterbug

• Members
  • With us since: 13/09/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2011, 07:26:26 PM »
12% of the world's people living in North America and Western Europe account for 60% of consumption. Americans are 5% of the world population and we consume 24% of the energy.

If every American could double their vehicle mileage we'd hardly drop that 24%. If we all converted to vegetarians, if we lived where worked, etc., we might get to the level of what a Japanese consumes. But even that isn't even close to sustainable. To live a sustainable lifestyle would take such a change that we don't even consider what it would mean. It is not an option.

I don't mean to pick on Americans, other industrial counties aren't much better. And other countries are becoming more industrialized, consuming more. It's a human thing. As soon as we can consume something we do.

You may dislike what I say but I'd be willing to bet my consumption is much lower than most Americans. I say the obvious so that makes me a greedy pig, not because of what I actually consume. I remodeled my home from the studs in with salvaged materials, drywall, paint, wire, pipe. I have bamboo floors. Moved from 2,000 sf home to 785 sf. Moved downtown to walk to shopping. I drive less than 5,000 mile a year in a car that get 35 mpg. I'm the poster child for green. I just know it's BS. I still consume tons more than most people on the planet. If everyone on the planet started to consume the same amount as I do we'd be out of everything in short order. So I'm not ready to nominate myself for sainthood. I'll leave that to the person who uses a cloth shopping bag instead of plastic bags and fills them with corn fed beef and packs them into their SUV.

In this brave new world perception is far more important than reality. It's OK to screw future generations as long as one is oblivious to the fact. The beauty of the green movement is we can continue consuming and feel better about it.

reddad35, thank you for your good wishes. Would be a great greeting card, wishing someone dies in peace. Very sweet.

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2011, 07:30:16 PM »
How did we get from the post Jerry started this with, where we didn't know IT had a name like recycling or green. Conserving was a way of life for us on the farm. Where did this "throw away" generation come from?

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2011, 10:09:04 PM »
I had no idea this was going to get testy.  let's avoid that, please.
We don't do religion or politics here because  those topics get contensious.  We can agree to disagree.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
I'm still gonna do what I can do on the green side.

I don't like any kind of topic where I feel like it gets shoved down my throat, religion, politics or personal politics--and there is no room for discussion; because someone has this world already figured out.  I agree it would be great to agree to disagree, but arguing for the sake of arguing is pointlelss.  And it's not that I dislike what Waterbug says, it's the hopelessness in which he says it.  You can slap a smile on your face when you're lecturing people, but the message is still the same.  You've already got everything in the world figured out and you just have to tolerate the rest of us idiots.

I like your post Jerry, and it's very true. Ourselves, parents and grandparents didn't know any other way to live did we?!! 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Jerry

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2011, 10:27:07 AM »
Sure thing LuAnn, it was a different time.  We weren't noble or anything like that.
Having a Refrigerator instead of an Ice Box is a good thing.
There were liveries close to downtown Philadelphia when I was a kid.  Thats where the milk and ice wagons departed from.  Just think of all that free manure! lol
Chasing an ice wagon to pilfer a few small pieces of ice was a thrill om a hot summer day!
When our milkman switched to a truck my mother told me they were being kind to horses!  I was young enough to believe it.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2011, 02:13:31 PM »
 :thinking: :thinking: >:(-  {nono} >:(-  :-X :-X  ;) ;D
Boy, that was a mouthful...  {:-P;;

« Last Edit: December 04, 2011, 02:16:09 PM by Mikey »

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"