Author Topic: What happened!?!  (Read 2158 times)

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
What happened!?!
« on: December 08, 2011, 11:51:19 AM »
 ;) This past ponding season we've seen lots of improvements and disasters that were shared with everyone here.

What resolutions for this past ponding season did you make, keep, and/or break?  O0 ::) :o

My own resolution was to not buy another fancy fish for the lily pond  {-) although I must admit I came pretty close.   Yay  @O@ for me!!!  The fishes also populated the pond by at least 3 times.  I found homes for quite a few of them.  The turtles also welcomed quite a few into their mouths!!!

I only wish I spent more time relaxing (really foreign word) by the ponds.

Offline Marie Fisher

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: What happened!?!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
What resolution did I make and not keep? I promised me  I'd cut down, get rid of some of the lilies I
don't like that well.  That didn't happen(imagine that). Did I lie to me maybe?  LOL

Marie

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2011, 06:42:02 PM »
The lessons I learned:
1.  Don't get the cheap netting.  It doesn't work well, lots of leaves and debris still get into the pond.  It also doesn't last very long. {nono}
2.  Don't go cheap on a pond pump if you intend to keep a hole open in the winter.  I did it last year and I had to go out in the mid winter to swap out the worthless pump with an air pump. I am still using my trusted air pump this winter.  Works like a charm! O0

Kuan

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2011, 06:49:41 PM »
I will make things more simple. Less plants but more spectacular, hopefully!
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Julles

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 05:42:35 AM »
Not exactly a resolution, but I made some changes to the pond.... Fenced off 2/3 for the koi, and the remaining 1/3 for lilies.  With the koi away from the plants, I can keep the cover off that end, so you can see the lilies much better.  I also reduced the number and size of plants in the middle of the pond, giving a sleeker, less cluttered appearance.  And when the few that I kept started getting overgrown, I did keep my promise to divide them, in order to keep the more tidy look.

Offline Zoe

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/04/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »
Remembering that I can't have every lily that is on the market.  That less is more.  To plant in larger tubs. 

Cindy

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2011, 08:10:26 AM »
I had decided to reduce  the number of koi (did do this and still have too many).  Make the ponds and  greenhouse easier to maintain (did do some of this).  Rebuild the 17 year old deck pond to increase size, depth, and filtration (ended up painting the house instead).  Get back into growing more pond plants instead of just having koi ponds (need to rebuild some ponds yet).  Looks like I have plenty of carryover for next year.  Visiting this site is what has inspired me  to get back to water gardening. 

Mikel

Offline tugo

• Members
  • With us since: 07/07/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Tugopond
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2011, 08:32:15 AM »
I decided to fill up my in ground pond and instead build an over ground pond.
Due to my old age, it is impossible to take care the plants in the pots and also the possibility of the liner getting a hole one day, is a growing nightmare for me.

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2011, 05:54:41 PM »
More...

Don't put mosquito fish in the pond to cycle it.  They multiply worse than rabbits...   lol  I started with 6 and now I have zillions in the pond...

There is never enough room to overwinter all my plants in the basement.  It is time to let go some of the waterlilies and let them go to good homes. 

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2011, 11:28:04 PM »
I forgot to add that I was a good girl and kept the credit card in the wallet when tempting beautiful lilies were up for sale here with incredibly fabulous to die for prices.  Ugh!  It's sucks to be good.  ;). Can't have everything under the sun just cause it's purdy.  :P

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
Re: What happened!?! Your turn!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2011, 11:33:24 PM »
Seems many who have fessed up have agonized over the same things in our ponds.  A few are very talented with building and repairs.  Good to see a few ponders return with a few words.  Thanks.

Come on, how many members are there we'd love to hear from?  Don't be shy  o(

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2011, 08:03:13 PM »
I've had a very bad pond year. I didn't divide my lilies, many jumped from their pots, and are now spreading all over the pond bottoms. Unfortunately, I have many reds, like Perry's baby red, etc, that all started growing together and I cant tell what's what. Spent some big bucks for those named lilies and now I can't identify them. I didn't clean the ponds, I didn't get one of my two streams going, and have hardly cleaned the filters at all. AND I have weeds- big prairie weeds that supposedly have roots 12 feet deep and I have no idea how to fix that.

However- my lilies did great and my fish are all healthy and had plenty of babies. :) Go figure!
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline miguynmkoi

• Members
  • Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2011, 09:35:37 PM »
Spent some big bucks for those named lilies and now I can't identify them
Never had that problem, never owned a named lily  :P  All those red flowers must make quite a beautiful sight!  And those 12 ftnweed roots!!!!  What the hay!

Over 170 viewers with no responses!?!  Come on, keep us in the loop!

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2011, 02:34:21 PM »
I tried hard this summer to find beauty in herons and kingfishers.  I have given up on having nice fish.............only a few goldies have survived.  I don't like the look of netting, so I will settle with lilies.........but that's not really a good thing for me because I don't like fertilizing, dividing and dead-heading.  The pond has lost a lot of character since we have so few fish.

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2011, 08:45:56 PM »
 ;D  Not much to report here.

I have stock tanks with hardy lilies and goldfish, no pumps or filtration.  For improvements this summer. I purchased an air pump during the heat of the summer for the health of the fish.  It is very benificial for the winter also.

I also did a total clean out during the opressive heat and removed all babies.  I divided my lilies and only put back two per pot instead of my usual four.  I also drilled holes in the pots...I'm still not clear on the holes/no holes debate.

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
Sue,  on my lily pots that are totally submerged, and can therefore have access to fresh water from the top, I do not have holes in the pots.  But for marginals that are in pots that have their tops above the surface of the water, meaning they cannot get fresh water from the pond, I do drill holes, so they can have access to fresh water through the holes.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"