Author Topic: Pond Plants at Wal Mart? Has anyone tried these??  (Read 5240 times)

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond Plants at Wal Mart? Has anyone tried these??
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2007, 03:03:01 PM »
Hello El Jefe,

Responsible water garden businesses shouldn't be shipping you Marsh Marigold in FL....they are a northeren plant that if you look at the native distribution doesn't really extend out of Z6.  It is as important to about the heat tolerance of plants as it is the cold hardiness.

As for the Calla and all plants for that matter....it is important to remember that when a plant is listed as being amenable to say 4" of water...that is an established plant.  A newly potted plant needs time to establish roots before it is submerged. It is doubtful at best that you need to concern yourself with fungal problems.

One other point that should be made....because the lily in the box is the proper color does not mean it is the correct cultivar.  So because it is red...it is still unlikely to be an Attraction.  There are suppliers out there that offer 'Truly Named' waterlilies and stand behind the product as true to type.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline goldenangel

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2007, 04:43:06 PM »
It is a matter of personal preference.  Every water lilly that I have came from walmart.  I purchased a colorado last year.  I planted it in April or May (don't remember) and it was blooming by summer.  I also got a sioux and it did well too.  I have never purchased any of the other plants from walmart so couldn't tell you on those.  The only problem with walmart lillies is the fact that sometimes you don't end up getting the lily you thought you were buying.  If you don't care what you end up with then yes it is a good deal.

It is way to early to plant these now.  Can't even imagine why they are selling them this early.  Around here they don't start getting them in till around March. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2007, 05:01:53 PM »
Many of the plants in big box stores are not correctly labeled nor healthy. I am sure they are shipped healthy from the growers but they aren't properly taken care of at store level. This isn't the fault of the individuals, it is management who won't let them have enough time to water or hire someone with enough experience to cull. Newbies tend to think they can save every plant and won't cull the displays.

I don't think Wal*Mart should sell living things. Their poor fish are as dead as their plants.....
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2007, 05:11:54 PM »
I fail to see how it is ever a "good deal" when you don't get what you think you are buying?  In fact, the word fraud comes to mind.<g>
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2007, 05:53:40 PM »
Craig you're too funy lol.  I do believe there is a need to provide unnamed lilies for those who don't care, but I rather see the big boxes fill that need versus trying to sell named cultivars.  For a variety of reasons these lilies do get mixed up and it is sort of potluck on which lily you get.

Gary

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2007, 09:36:01 PM »
Wow, Sparked a good thread, lots of information and all of it useful. I have to admit after this discussion as well as some private discussion in the PM section, I looked a lot closer at the condition of the plants at the Local stores. The Wal mart closest to our house seems to take much better care of the plants they received as opposed to the store across town. Their plants looked pretty sad. Point being I am paying more attention. The three lilies I picked up all had some green sprouting leaves, no smell and seem solid and healthy O0 I agree it is early, too early to plant but because this is Florida we got the early shipments, nevermind that it is zone 8 northern Florida, Someone in the front office isn't thinking obviously.
    Andrew/ Craig, I knew about the Marsh marigolds aversion to heat and had them planted in the shady/early morning sun  area of the pond to minimize the effects, but these didn't even try to sprout despite being planted early and in the cool part of the season. neither did the second set despite being planted inside in the sun room.  The Arum lilies lived for a short time and even seemed to do well then suddenly took a turn for the worst and died off. I believe that to be my error as I planted them in the water too soon. I started 6 inside a month ago and they are all thriving in my sun room. I hope to have them established enough to plant in the spring in their permanant locations.
     I plan to take pictures over the course of the "experiment" to show the progress and share the results.
learning lots with this thread. Lots of knowledge and experience here. Knowing that.... ::)  I need some marginals to dress up my pond. I have some rush, lizards tail, pickeral weed, cattails Golden Club, spider lilys, Bog lilys a few Hostas but I still want some ground cover and some that grow in shallow water, Chameleon plant maybe? something else with color? something zone 8 tolerant? ideas?

… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline andrew davis

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2007, 07:10:16 AM »
Nice size pond, El Jefe.

Your marsh marigold would have failed, outdoors wherever you put it. It stood a slightly chance planted in a North facing window indoors with a/c

You would have to be cautious regarding aquatic plantings as some would be difficult to keep under control on that size pond in your climate, Parrots feather would create a stunning effect however you would need to be able to reach and trim it frequently, likely to be bothersome in a short space of time.

Similar with water hyacinth and water lettuce, plants like that on a large pond in your zone would be a liability (hence they are listed as invasive plants in some regions)

Obvious plants that would be reliable and do well:

Deep water marginals with one to two foot deep water over their pot:-

Hardy waterlilies (some are not suitable for zone 8), Tropical day bloom and night bloom water lilies, Nymphoides, Water Poppy, in a foot deep of water (need to be able to reach them to thin them out every couple of years)

Shallow marginals, for up to one foot deep water, mostly less than six inches deep, some prefer to be planted in just wet mud:

Anubia, Bacopa, Marsilea, Alocasia* Colocasia, Taro*, Acorus Gramineus Variegata, Cyperus Isocladus, Thalia, Crinum, Ludwigia, Iris (various aquatic species, Versicolor, Ensatata laevigata, louisiana iris Sibirica) Pontederia (Lanceolata is a stunning specimen plant) Saururus*, Graceful Cattail- Typha Laxmanii* (For the cattail look, a fairly easy to control form of cattail) Xanthosoma, Canna (some forms cope well planted in aquatic positions) There are others, a few hundred or so...

* denotes need to be accessible to keep under control

Plant ten of those, vaguely according to accurate advice and you will probably see most of them excel as aquatic plantings for a large pond setting. For some years.

Of course, if you are of a dirt cheap inclination, it may take you till doomsday to acquire such a range of really suitable plants on the cheap. From Walmart's.

Now if you went to a grower or nursery where folk have a bit of a clue, your pond selection would be a different kettle of fish in a short space of time.

The original cost of a few measly plants over time would soon be forgotten and you  might notice your pond becomes an attractive long term asset for a decade or two

Regards, andy
http://s93.photobucket.com/albums/l42/adavisus/

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2007, 08:42:17 AM »
Nice size pond, El Jefe.

Your marsh marigold would have failed, outdoors wherever you put it. It stood a slightly chance planted in a North facing window indoors with a/c

* I did not know that it was that sensitive so good to know Thanks! They never told me that, great I would have gotten ripped off either way, Lesson learned!

You would have to be cautious regarding aquatic plantings as some would be difficult to keep under control on that size pond in your climate, Parrots feather would create a stunning effect however you would need to be able to reach and trim it frequently, likely to be bothersome in a short space of time. * I crawl into the pond all the time and have considered it but since it’s cousin water milfoil is prohibited I would have to check with our invasive plants people to see if I could use it.

Similar with water hyacinth and water lettuce, plants like that on a large pond in your zone would be a liability (hence they are listed as invasive plants in some regions) * Not to mention illegal and a heavy fine if the find them in my pond regardless of how they got there. I had to destroy a bunch when I found out! Definitely not an option.
Obvious plants that would be reliable and do well:

Deep water marginals with one to two foot deep water over their pot:-

Hardy waterlilies (some are not suitable for zone  , Tropical day bloom and night bloom water lilies, Nymphoides, * this has a tendency to overwhelm a pond (in my understanding) so not really an option. Water Poppy, in a foot deep of water (need to be able to reach them to thin them out every couple of years) ( I have considered these as well)

Shallow marginals, for up to one foot deep water, mostly less than six inches deep, some prefer to be planted in just wet mud:

Anubia, Bacopa, Marsilea, Alocasia* Colocasia, Taro*, Acorus Gramineus Variegata, Cyperus Isocladus, Thalia, Crinum, Ludwigia, Iris (various aquatic species, Versicolor, Ensatata laevigata, louisiana iris Sibirica) Pontederia (Lanceolata is a stunning specimen plant) Saururus*, Graceful Cattail- Typha Laxmanii* (For the cattail look, a fairly easy to control form of cattail) Xanthosoma, Canna (some forms cope well planted in aquatic positions) There are others, a few hundred or so...* denotes need to be accessible to keep under control

*I have Saurus, and Iris, Sweet flag (2 varieties) Rush, Variegated umbrella grass a few Canna’s Cattails and Pickerel weed (alba and the regular variety) Is Lanceolota the tropical version?

Plant ten of those, vaguely according to accurate advice and you will probably see most of them excel as aquatic plantings for a large pond setting. For some years.

Of course, if you are of a dirt cheap inclination, it may take you till doomsday to acquire such a range of really suitable plants on the cheap. From Walmart's.

* I do not have any reservations about spending money for a quality look, not an issue, but will take the occasional good deal if I can find it.Now if you went to a grower or nursery where folk have a bit of a clue, your pond selection would be a different kettle of fish in a short space of time.
* You would be surprised at the Lack of quality information around here.  I have a nursery just down from my house ZERO help. Of the three that carry water garden plants and even have classes their “experts” were not real knowledgeable when questioned deeper. I attended a class on dividing water lilies and lotuses and found his information severely lacking. I learned more on the internet and he does the water garden as a living. So I am a little frustrated there. This is a big reason why I am posting in here. Searching for good usable info.
The original cost of a few measly plants over time would soon be forgotten and you might notice your pond becomes an attractive long term asset for a decade or two

* Don’t get me wrong I have already spent a great deal and I am not opposed to spending it to make my pond great, and I plan to do more. Check out my progress so far; http://www.azimmerman6.photosite.com/Pond_life/ Please look it over and give me suggestions I all for it.

Thanks (the other) Andy
Regards, andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2007, 11:04:38 AM »
There is an Aquatic Plant Trade section of this forum, most marginal plants grow really fast and many people give the extras away for postage here. My advice would be for you to stop buying and wait for the trade section to get going.

:)
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2007, 04:09:33 PM »
Oh, WOW  8-)~, beautiful!  I enjoyed your slide show.  Just stunning photos, and lots of ducks.  I also saw one of those dang herons... &-)

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2007, 07:11:54 PM »
Kim, Thanks for the compliment. I am hoping that last years plantings will come back strong and it will really look good.I need some other plants and have considered Parrots feather (I understand there is a red stemmed version) and water poppy (neither I am informed is on the cannot have list here in Florida) always working on the pond (as I am sure all of you do as well) so I want it to look good and provide a great living environment for our pond pets

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2007, 09:49:06 PM »
Craig how is one to tell if the Cultivar is true to form?? For instance in the other thread I had noted that my "Sioux" Lily had several small sprouts, offspring. Once the plant blooms is there a way to tell for certain? How does one identify a lily anyway? Never thought to ask that question  ?)(? andy

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 28, 2007, 05:59:20 PM »
hey I am finding out that there are a few closet Wal Mart Lily fans here {:-P;; I won't name names, thanks for the support I appreciate it! So far muy investment is doing well, now if I could just get them to sell Tropicals ( good thing you can't throw things in here .... Tim... Craig.... Sean put the rocks down  ;)
Andy

Offline jatfla

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2007, 10:50:50 AM »
I'm not going to trounce WalMart.  I think it's a good company and their fish have been fine for me.  But I look them over and choose wisely; at least so far.  The only ones who've died are the ones taken by the raccoons and our owl family.  I think the neighbor's cat took one who had become pretty tame. I found it on the walkway.

With our weather here we are anxious to get things going.  Our spring only lasts about 2 months and that's if we're lucky.  So I'll get what I can and from whoever gets their water plants in stock.  Lowes just got their's last week.  Our local nursery gets theirs towards the end of April.  That's way too late.  My failure with plants has come from the drastic change in climate and/or sunlight conditions.  My pond is most shade.

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2007, 11:05:25 AM »
jatfla, where are you located? If we know maybe someone could recomend plants for your situation? Our Nurseries don't kick in tell well into April either but I still get plenty of growing time.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #45 on: March 10, 2007, 11:28:49 AM »
Love the lily's. I am going to start repotting next weekend. 8-)~

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 10, 2007, 01:29:06 PM »
Jatfla, sundenly all your info is there? You shouldn't have to much of a problem at all.
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"