Author Topic: Anybody know anything about scams . . .  (Read 1810 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Anybody know anything about scams . . .
« on: January 16, 2007, 11:53:05 AM »
. . . . involving a death certificate?  My crazy sister's boyfriend has been trying to get his fat fingers on a certified copy of Dad's death certificate since before the body was removed.  His latest ploy to get one is that he 'needs' it to get the utilities changed out of Dad's name and into my sisters . . . . I called the utility companies and that's just flat not true.  So I changed them out of Dad's name for her . . . .

What on earth can he possibly want one for?

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Anybody know anything about scams . . .
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 01:45:17 PM »
Don't think that's it, but I guess I have to watch for that one too.

Funny thing is - one bank froze all the accounts that didn't have both Dad & Mom's names on them as soon as they were notified of the death.  Told me that I would have to have the letters of testamentary and proof I was executor before I could even ask about a balance.  The other bank refused to freeze the accounts and insisted that any autodrafts would have to be allowed to go thru and I can't do anything to stop the money going out until I have the letters of testamentary and proof I'm executor.  They flat out didn't care about the death certificate.

I've been going around in circles so long now that I am not even dizzy anymore . . . .

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 03:11:38 PM »
Maybe its to create a phony ID?  There was a gal arrested here locally a couple of weeks ago that was stealing information from recently deceased folks and creating false ID's. She opened checking accounts with these peoples information, wrote a bunch of bad checks, etc.
Just a thought. About the only time you really "need" a copy of a death certificate is in order to transfer real property such as a home, vehicle, etc.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 04:04:03 PM »
This guy would be my brother-in-law if he ever actually stepped up to the plate and married my stupid sister.  But he hasn't because he's been getting her, my parent's home and all utilities free for the last 13 years - why mess with a good thing?

I'm betting that he's trying to get the death certificate so he can somehow transfer the deed to my parents' home to my sister . . . . tho not sure how he can do that when the deed should be at the bank.

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2007, 04:35:35 PM »
No, you don't need a death certificate to handle anything about utilities, but you DO need one, or a copy of one, (that is obtainable through the funeral home handling your father's burial, etc.) to collect beneficiary benefits from insurance companies.  My guess is that he has obtained information on where your father worked, and will be looking into collecting any death benefits that he may have accumulated over the years.  Basically, all he'll need is a copy of that and it doesn't sound like he's afraid to forge any signatures that may be needed... &-)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2007, 11:05:01 PM »
It may be as simple as his selling the death certificate to a third party or he may have more sinister ideas up his sleeve...  Whatever he's up to I think we are all in agreement that he is a poisonous snake and shouldn't be trusted.... :no: 

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2007, 09:10:20 AM »
I'm actually surprised that he hasn't been able to get his hands on a copy of the certificate. I haven't had to deal with this in a number of years but around here you used to be able to go down to the Health Department and request a copy of death certificates. Any immediate family member/blood relative could get one. I'm sure things are not quite that easy anymore with ID theft but I'm surprised he hasn't had your sister request a copy of it, which she could probably get. I'm guessing they are sweating things over the house or they want to file against something in probate.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2007, 11:06:46 AM »
With regard to this guy's living arrangement, the old saying "Why buy the cow, when you can get the milk for free" comes to mind.  I agree he is up to no good.  I think I would contact the funeral home, the Department of Health and Human services (or whatever government agency hands out death certificates to let them know that you think this guy is trying to obtain one for illegal purposes.  Tell them that as executor, you are the only one aurthorized to have a copy realeased to.
Greenwood, Indiana Zone 5-6
"umop ap!sdn w,I aw dlaH"

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2007, 12:06:59 PM »
it will cost, but maybe an attorney who is an expert in this area, just to protect you
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline tammie

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2007, 02:16:48 PM »
I think your sister took out a insurance policy on your dad, with only herself as the benificiary, and she will be able to collect on it too, if she meets the quidelines for the policy.  Usually they don't pay out if the policy is under 2 years old.   If her idiot boyfriend knew anything he'd know that your sister can legally obtain a death certificate.
Are they living in one of your parents houses?   
Tammie

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2007, 02:19:08 PM »
Insurance policy was my first thought too..

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2007, 04:32:54 PM »
I wouldn't think she could take out an insurance policy on him without him knowing about it, but maybe.  The funeral home has been instructed NOT to give anyone but me a copy of the death certificate.  It's a small town funeral parlor that's been family owned and operated for generations . . . . almost reminded me of the one on Six Feet Under, but neither of the brothers was gay and it was either Mom or a sister doing the billing.  I imagine they can get one from the state, but not sure they can do that this soon after the death . . . . think you have to get it from the funeral home for some length of time - at least that's the impression I got from the funeral guy and it was created from the form he filled out before he removed the body.  Then again, maybe this guy is just proving my point that he's pretty stupid . . . . . not smart enough to know if he can get a copy himself or too cheap to pay the $10 for it.

Either way, that sister is in for a rude awakening . . . . and it's coming real soon.

And Brian, that's exactly what the family thinks of this guy . . .

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2007, 01:36:34 AM »
Good Lord, when will this stupid crazy situation ever end for you!!

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2007, 05:13:19 AM »
Good Lord, when will this stupid crazy situation ever end for you!!

Never?  Gonna get worse before it gets better anyway . . . .

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"