Author Topic: Master Gardener Class  (Read 1389 times)

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Master Gardener Class
« on: January 21, 2012, 06:15:13 PM »
Has anyone taken a Master Gardener class?  Purdue University gives them in Indiana and I signed up!
They start mid February and end in May.   

Kinda funny..................I asked a friend that lives in Illinois and owns a garden center if she was familiar with them and she said "just don't become one of those people that come in and act like they know it all because they took one class.!"

I'm looking forward to it.  They are supposed to have a lot of guest speakers..........sounds interesting. 

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Master Gardener Class
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
You will learn so much during the initial classes, plus if your Master Gardener group is like mine, there are monthly presentations at the meetings. It's so much fun to hang out with other gardeners too! I completed my certification in 07 and wouldn't trade the experience for anything!  :)
Pam

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 08:49:03 AM »
Never had the time to consider going before, but now that I am retired am thinking about going.  How much time is involved in this program?

Mikel

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 02:45:49 PM »
Thanks Pam..............I'm really looking forward to it.

Mikel, I haven't received my information packet, but here is what it said on the website:

Determine the location of a Master Gardener Training Session in your area by contacting your county Extension office. You may also contact the Master Gardener State Coordinator to find out where the program nearest to you will be held.
You will complete an application form and/or enrollment form and return it to the local county Extension Office. Enrollment is limited.
After being accepted into a training session, you must attend a series of weekly classes, each lasting 3 to 4 hours.
Achieve rank of Master Gardener Intern by completing required training and passing exam with 70% success.
MG Interns are required to volunteer a minimum of 35 hours to be certified as a Purdue Master Gardener.

Cost is $115.

Offline Michiponder

• Members
  • With us since: 11/10/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:07:34 PM »
Thanks Karen.  I think I'll check it out and see if they have a class that suits me.  Always fun to hang with gardeners.  Good people.

Mikel

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:46 AM »
"Exam"  That will keep me out  :(  at least for now.  :D

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 11:30:12 AM »
Annette, I have told myself I will not worry about the exam.  I'm going to go to learn something and have a good time doing it!

I mentioned the class to friends and two of them have signed up with another one planning to.  Wish you guys lived close.............wouldn't that be fun. 

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2012, 04:40:59 PM »
It's a little different here in Texas. We had 50 hours of instruction followed by the exam, then 50 hours of volunteer work to complete the certification. Then the yearly certification requires at least two additional classes (so easy because they are fun) and 50 hours of volunteer work plus the yearly dues. Cost for the initial program was only $110 and yearly dues are $150. I want to take the Master Naturalist classes soon, but can't work it into the schedule right now.

The exam scared me too, but almost everyone passed it the first time around and the ones who failed got another chance!  ;)
Pam

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 10:00:49 AM »
The Naturalist classes sound interesting too. They were offered last year in our area.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2012, 04:48:46 PM »
If I lived closer to you it would be very fun to go to class together!  Study group anyone!?!  ;)

I think our MG classes have similar requirements like Pam's in Texas.  I know I would volunteer at the local university's arboretum.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"