Author Topic: Must I cut filter media? If so, what size?  (Read 2076 times)

Offline nmpondguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 28/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • NM Ponguy's Watergarden Retreat
Must I cut filter media? If so, what size?
« on: January 28, 2012, 08:56:53 AM »
Hello all,

I built my pond almost 9 years ago with lots of help from some of the members on the old AWGS site (some of you hang out here now).  I'm finally ready to add a couple of Skippy type barrel filters.  I hope to get rid of the UV filter if the barrels keep the green water in check. 

I got some 2 foot by 10 foot rolls of filter material from KrewKut: They had a good "going out of business sale".  Call me lazy, but I'm hoping I dont have to cut the filter material into small pieces :).  I read on another post that someone cut filter material into 2" x 4 " pieces :o. Is that necessary? I'd probably wear out a few pair of scissors in the process. If cutting is required, what is the largest size I can get away with? 

Phil, aka nmpondguy   

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Re: Must I cut filter media? If so, what size?
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 11:45:06 AM »
I too love "Skippy"  I had used commercial scrub pads for years with great success. So, my guess is that big pieces will work fine. The pads I used were round and 18 and 22 inches, so cut to that size ought to work well,

More opinions please.

Oh yes I did switch to "Spring Flo" on Spanish Leperchaun's recomendation.  They are excellent and easier to remove for rinsing.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Reedman

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 02:33:46 PM »
If you cut it into say, 4" pieces, you will increase the surface area on which the good bacteria can grow/colonize.  That increases how well the filtration works.

Tin shears work well to cut the pads.
Reedman

1300 gallon pond - midnight & regular shubunkins/sarassa comets/white comets/rosy red minnows.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 05:33:05 PM »
Reedman is right, but I bet there is enough surface area anyway.
Ever wear the skin off your hand using tin snips? >:(-
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 03:05:10 PM »
Thank you both for the info.  It's good to know that the tiny size is not absolutely necessary.  Now I can feel confident experimenting with some sizes between 4" and 22" and not worry  that the fileter won't work.  If I could just find some power tool to do the cutting... :thinking:

Offline nmpondguy

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2013, 06:36:56 AM »
I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd post an update:

I ended up cutting the pads into approximately 4 inch x 8 inch rectangles.  I started using a pair of scissors, but that got old fast.  I ended up using one of those razo blade knives (you know the ones where the blades are scored for you to break off the tip when it gets dull?).  Used a piece of 2" x 4" for a straight edge.  Dangerous - I know - but I wore kevlar gloves and was very careful.  :P Anyway, that worked well. 

Bottom line: big pieces worked fine. I put the cut up pads in mesh laundry bags and arranged them in the barrel filters.  Got rid of the UV filter and had clear water all season. I hope that continues  this year.  I'll be starting up the filters again in the next couple of weeks: Spring starts early in New Mexico.

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2013, 11:54:43 AM »
I love updates and you never know when someone else needs the advice!  I was looking for a lighter media than lava rock, it was so darned heavy.  I did the laundry bags with cut up pieces of matala mats.  For the longest time after I switched out the media, my water was green.  I posted here about that and several members told me that I forgot to "seed" my new media: that is, putting it in WITH the old media until it seeded the good bacteria and then remove the heavier lava rock.  OOPS!  I did that and all is fine now.

It DOES pay to ask questions, someone always has the answer! :)
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2013, 03:12:09 PM »
One more thing. If you can install an outflow pipe on the side of whatever filter you are using you can wash the media with pond water and it will not kill your bacteria.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"