Author Topic: need to clean the pond  (Read 1981 times)

Offline milliemax

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
need to clean the pond
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:08:42 PM »
  Well, we started the pond about last July.
  Kinda knew we would have troubles with the leaves. tried to cover them with netting, wind didn't let it work!
  We've had major freezes for CA, which have frozen the pond, garden and......
  We need to clean the whole pond! Does this mean a total water change????
  Do we need to start all over?
  I have also noticed the water level dropping in thelast couple of weeks!  Could my pond structure have frozen????
  Don't know if I still have fish! Haven't found any dead. Pond is pretty gunky!  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline croft

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: need to clean the pond
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2007, 05:02:25 PM »
Sorry I can't help you much with your dilema Milliemax. You might try just using a leaf net to scoop out the leaves etc. Then maybe a shop-vac for the finer stuff.

You may get more help from other ponders if you post over on the "pond chat" board .  Good Luck!
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2007, 06:59:18 AM »
Do you have a preformed pond? They are notorious for cracking, that might be where your water loss is at or could it be evaporation? I would get as much large debris out with a net and do small sequential water changes over several weeks to keep from stressing the fish. I'm sure others can help more.

Offline milliemax

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 05:22:45 PM »
Sounds good, Kay. I'll net as much as I can. It'll stir up the bottom, I'm sure, but I'll let it settle a day or two and try again.
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 07:03:41 PM »
My only suggestion is to very carefully check the net before you dump it. I do the same thing all the time, but hate it when something/somebody comes up missing due to my carelessness.
It's really not that bad of a job to remove the leaves with a net. A good net makes all the difference.

Good luck,
Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline milliemax

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2007, 06:22:01 PM »
  Well, we're done with the leaves. I'm ready to pull all the plants and pretty stuff out of the pond and do a good vacuuming!
 I actually found all my fish today! @O@ I thought the racoons had gotten them!   Nancy
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline CT

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2007, 07:10:11 AM »
Glad your fish are fine :) ..have fun with the cleaning. It looks so good when it's all done.. o(

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"