Author Topic: Pond disasters, it happened to me!  (Read 1688 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Pond disasters, it happened to me!
« on: January 18, 2007, 07:22:24 PM »
This happened some months ago but everyone has at least one story, here is mine, whats yours?

Like most of you I work on my pond nearly every day doing something. I like the peace and serinity that comes from being outside and seeing the Pond come alive as a result of the work of my hands. You get a sense of accomplishment. Then disaster strikes and all you can do is watch.  >:(-
As you know my pond looks like this:

But just a few months ago I got a real kick in the teeth!:(   Due to some new homes going up around me my pond was put at risk and most of my work was destroyed. The builder brought in quite a bit of sand fill to build the house on and in the process filled in a drainage ditch (illegal by the way)  the water from a torrential rain quickly overwelmed what was left of the ditch and ran accross the property across the new sand and carried silt and dirty water across the back of the newly developed property  and the runoff gained speed as it ran across another freshly developed property. Couple that with poorly maintained ditches (which I raised cain with the county about) and you have a combination that spells diaster My water WAS clear right until this day and has not fully recovered since. Here is what I had to witness, This is the water running off my neighbors property (through his nasty dog pen and onto my property unabated:
that mess headed straight for my pond:

mixed with my pond water:

and nearly broke my spirit as I watched my hard work get destroyed:

I nearly had to go to court to get the problem fixed but the county and the builder blinked first and laws were enforced, new ditches dug, drainage was corrected, silt fences put up and hay bales put into high flow areas. Haven't had a problem since. Now if I could just get this water to clear. :o I also lost 52 of my fish,  o( NOT happy {nono}
« Last Edit: January 18, 2007, 07:57:01 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Pond disasters, it happened to me!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2007, 07:42:10 PM »
It makes me sick to look at those pictures.  Nice to know it got straightened out, but how sad and disgusting it must have been. Your pond is lovely.
Karen

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2007, 10:49:46 PM »
That would make me totally ill!  Your pond is so beautiful to have that happen to it.  I knocked a few shovel fulls of dirt from the top of my bank and they rolled right down and over all the rocks and into the pond, mine has not cleared totally either.   This spring though when I start the waterfalls and pumps back up I will use the quilt batting in the filter and that stuff really makes clear water.

Tinkster

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2007, 10:50:19 PM »
Glad it worked out, but take the blighter to court over the loss of fish.
Small claims will do. All you need is evidence and you sure have it!
« Last Edit: January 23, 2007, 10:14:59 PM by Jerry »
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2007, 05:55:16 AM »
The County has been good about it, despite needing to be coaxed like an obstinate Missouri mule. Squeeky wheel gets the grease I guess. Neighbor could really care less.  Later in the year when everything was coming up nicely he asked me if I would remove some trees so he could view my pond. I thought that took a lot of nerve considering his attitude (or lack of concern) when I voiced my concern for all that water he sent my direction. I planted a few pines to improve his view  {:-P;;
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2007, 06:25:39 AM »
OH MAN, I would have been sick too. I can't believe they ignored that silt fence stuff. Around here, you can't mess with the DNR at all. They are sticklers about any little wetlands or drainage area.

Offline MikeW

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2007, 04:11:00 PM »
Wow, what an incredible setting for your pond - almost literally like a little piece of heaven.

Cheers,

Mike

Los Angeles California Zone 10

Anytime I see something screech across a room and latch onto someone's neck, and the guy screams and tries to get it off, I have to laugh, because what is that thing?

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2007, 04:51:31 PM »
OMG!!!! That is totally SICKENING!!!  :'(

Offline croft

• Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2007, 04:55:55 PM »
I've never had a disaster like yours and can't imagine how you felt - hopefully this ponding season you will get it all cleared up! I can only imagine the work it must take. I have a hard time cleaning up after one of my lilly pots tips over ::)
Joanne

Maritimes
1800 gal watergarden
goldfish
zone 5b

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2007, 05:35:00 PM »
I did start it out saying that this happened several months ago. I BROUGHT IT BACK TO WHAT YOU SEE TODAY. Imagine my dismay when I saw months of work washed away  and that is when I went into high gear to bring it to where it is today. Subsequent rains that were just as hard or harder and just as heavy have done little now that I got the ditches redug and silt fences in place hay bales and all. I just never want to go through that again. So the pond is fine but she is still recovering (water clarity mostly) This is also one of the reasons I want to put in a falls. I can bring in dirt and redirect any runoff away from my pond. Trying to decide on what would look good.....
Sickening Nancy you don't know the half all of that silt went right to the bottom and I am seeking a way to remove it. It looks more and more like I am going to have to completely drain it and that idea sickens me.   Thanks for the kind words, Andy

Offline milliemax

• Members
  • With us since: 02/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2007, 07:16:41 PM »
Well, I really like your little drop mouth guy and puking guy! They don't seem to appear on the regular menu! LOL
  Anyway, keep small claims in mind for another year or so! My brother had a similar problem and it seemed like they fixed it , but the next year had more rain and more problems!  HTH  Nancy
Nancy-going crazy! Want to come?
USDA zone 8, No CA

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2007, 08:43:35 PM »
Hi Andy. I remember when this happned. I just can't belive how well you pulled threw it. I think most of our desaster stories look like nothin compaired to yours. I know mine doesen't even begin to compair. It was just total pea soup when my pump went out. Remember the Vodka getting me threw it. hehehe! I was asked if I drank it or dumped it in the pond.  lol.
                         Debbie
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2007, 09:42:29 PM »
Hey now your user name is actually complete! there is a bonus! Glad to see that you decided to stop lurking and jump into the pond with the rest of us!
    This had to be the single most disheartening day of my life. All my hard work washed away or full of mud, and the silt from all that sandy clay mix as well as the other pieces of detritus poured into my pond and took residence in it. choking off much of my pond and leaving me little recourse for removal and killing off many of my fish. 52 to be exact. >:(- I was not happy and I was ready to throw in the towel and fill it in. Or to let it dry out and  start over which means tearing out a lot of plants and trying to keep them healthy while renewing the pond. I may still do this but it won't be this year. and I have to figure out what I am going to do with all my fish while reworking the pond. Anyone interested in making a road trip to help me dig it out, lay in a liner and get it replanted?? :-\ (I need a lot of rock too so if your coming from a state with plenty of it let me know  :) Anyway it was disheartening but all it did was strengthen my resolve!! I get far to much pleasure from it to fill it in So I guess I had better get ready to start digging!

Glad you decided to come in from the cold Debbie, welcome! O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"