Author Topic: The experiment begins! And now the conclusion.. Drum roll please  (Read 22482 times)

Offline marla

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 14/02/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: The experiment begins!
« Reply #180 on: March 17, 2007, 07:13:03 AM »
My first reading of this thread (start to finish), VERY Nicely Done!!!!!!  Where on earth did you come up with that old post of mine???  The Wal-mart by us just got in their lilies last week, I bought a white iris to try not knowing how the lilies would grow, but this thread put a new perspective on them.  I'd like to get a Soiux maybe, show me the blossom.    It's nice to have your lilies true, but for those starting out or those who don't really care, and just want the beauty of any lily flower the "big box" stores offer that.  El Jefe, thanks for taking the time on this. O0
Adopt the pace of nature;
Her secret is patience.
Town of Genesee, WI  zone 4

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 17, 2007, 03:16:54 PM »
Hi Marla, I'm not sure what "old post" but Andy also was over at ADI so he might have swipped it from there?? Or? So Andy where did you get it??? ;D
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 17, 2007, 08:13:39 PM »
Marla... thanks for the kudos. I just moved the experiment outside. I had to cut back some of the pads because they were not doing as well as I would have liked. So I left the healthiest and cut back the rest. The Colorados both had a bloom on them, I hope I did not damage them to badly when I repotted and transferred them to the pond. We will see how they adjust, should be nothing but improvement now that they are outside.  I will get some more pictures up when they get a chance to adapt.
    The old post was from ADI, Lots of good relevant info in that post. So I revived it here. Thanks again. Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

GAJen

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #183 on: March 18, 2007, 07:33:36 AM »
Well they turned out pretty and healthy to me. I could kick my arse for not going to Wally World here and getting them while they had them.

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 18, 2007, 10:53:25 AM »
Update on my Walmart plants:

The 'James Brydon' looks good...and I believe it will be correct.    Pads look like they should.   It has a tiny bloom just starting.

"Alba" looks like it will be a red lily.   Pads are dark maroon red, starting out.

"Attraction" looks like it will be a white lily.   Pads are brownish, starting out, turning to green.

"Sioux" will be a yellow or orangey lily, judging from the pads...but it isn't growing very fast.   Just sitting there and has made several underwater pads but not sent any to the surface yet.   I believe it may be 'Chrysantha' when everything is said and done.

Iris laevigata, 'Snow Drift', has grown exceptionally well.   Can't complain about it at all.

The cattails?  I think I killed them.   I can't grow cattails....or purple loosestrife.   I waited too long to plant them...so that could be my fault.   One little piece still looks viable, so I am leaving it alone to see if anything happens there.

Except for the "Sioux", which is very slow....the other lilies are growing very well, and are very healthy looking.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 25, 2007, 09:16:54 PM »
Quick update. I transferred all of the lillies to the main pond and I think the water change may have stifled them somewhat. The Colorados dropped several pads and their blooms have yet to reach the surface the James brydon suffered a similar setback although it has sent up new pads and seems to be in a new growth spurt. The Sioux is producing new pads but little else and they are SMALL pads. Hopefully this next week of 80 degree days will inspire all of them.

On another note, I noticed that our home depot is now carrying the exact same line so if you need one or two Jen let me know...
Andy
« Last Edit: March 25, 2007, 09:24:57 PM by El Jefe »
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 26, 2007, 08:33:59 AM »
On closer examination of my lilies, I see that when I said "Attraction" looked like a white lily, I was looking at Alba plenissima, and "Alba" does look like it is going to be a white lily.   The "Attraction" is going to be a red lily.  The "James Brydon", I believe is going to be the correct lily, and "Sioux" has started sending up small pads.   I don't think it will be 'Sioux' though.   Maybe 'Chrysantha'.

No change on the cattails and 'Snow Drift' is still looking good.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2007, 07:32:05 PM »
Well been a little while and I really did not think I would have much to report. A casual walk around the pond this morning revealed a floating basket, I only have one spare an it was right where it should be. All the rest are filled with lillies. So imagine my dismay, this means that a lily had been turned upside down. Lo and behold it was one of my Wal Mart experiment lillies. N.Colorado #1 and of course it was the one that was doing well lots of pads etc. Found the basket not the lily....Ugh! THEN I got a great Idea, Pool net, long handle dredge the bottom....... Found my colorado! something turned the whole basket over..... I have all native fish and they do not bother with the baskets but due to numerous sets of Dog tracks I think my neighbors Labrador went in for a little swim! >:(- NOT HAPPY :blowup:. The Colorado seems no worse for wear despite having all ot the soil resting on it's crown, getting scraped off the bottom dragged to the top, replanted and dropped back into the Pond. Now just let me catch that Dog in there again  >:(

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: April 20, 2007, 06:47:17 AM »
Well As some of you may have noted in my other thread about the heron tipping over my Lily baskets I lost my James Brydon lily. Well I I finally found it floating (sans pads) and a little beaten up. Still it looked as though it was healthy enough so I got it repotted. It just started  with some new pads this week so hopefully it will recover quickly. It's off shoot (baby) still has not done a lot but it has resprouted as well. Only minimally The change from the aquarium to the pond did shock all of them, the Colorado's are doing the best coming back.Andy

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: April 20, 2007, 11:03:21 AM »
I would love to see some pics of your lilies in the pond now.   o(:-)

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 02, 2007, 09:53:08 AM »
Wow, Lots going on in my life for the last couple of months. Son graduating HS, Daughter getting married (all in the same week) In laws coming and going (20 people in the same house is tight!) Then My BIL decided it was time to vacate life ( had some form of depression and was on meds for it  :-\ ) But I finally got around to the pics and I thought I would share.
As you may recall I started out with 4 lillies 2 colorados, 1 James Brydon and a Sioux. The Sioux is the only one not doing anything id died back in the pond and has remained dormant. I pulled it up to check on it andit is still alive but not doing anything. The two Colorados are shaping up nicely and the James Brydon has thrown it's first bloom. I guess we can call it a success!!   O0 Check it out!

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #191 on: June 02, 2007, 10:48:19 AM »
It all looks good Chief.

Glad to see you on board again.

Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline perplexed ponder

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 27/03/2007
    • View Profile
Re: The experiment begins! And now the conclusion.. Drum roll please
« Reply #192 on: June 02, 2007, 06:17:42 PM »
Sorry about your BIL. I've been there.
Your blooms are beautifl and I see a healthy lotus there too don't I? LUCKY YOU!!
Kathy

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 03, 2007, 03:06:04 PM »
Yes you do. Tinkster sent it to me earlier this year and I  have watched it grow steadily.  Still waiting on the Bloom so we know what it is!

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #194 on: June 03, 2007, 05:09:09 PM »
Great job, great thread and greaT "LEGS!"
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Rocmon

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 03, 2007, 08:44:34 PM »
How deep in the water is that lotus? Is it in a pot of some sort?

Offline joeyb5980

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 04, 2007, 05:03:35 AM »
Nice job Andy- good pics!   O0
Joey

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 04, 2007, 07:00:25 AM »
very nice! 

I was wondering how deep it is to.  I am worried it might be a little too deep, but I know nothing :)

tinkster

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 05, 2007, 05:47:10 AM »
Not very deep at all Tinkster, it is potted and 4-6 inches of water. Need to get some tabs in there considering all that growth. Maybe that is the issue. Andy

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 06, 2007, 08:49:16 AM »
Well done!!   O0

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 06, 2007, 01:36:01 PM »
What continues to bother me is that the sioux is still alive but doing absolutely nothing. Small pads growing on the sides of the tuber but no real good growth. Can't win them all I suppose  :( Everything else appears healthy, and happy. Andy

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"