Author Topic: Probably more then you ever wanted to know about acting..  (Read 810 times)

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
Probably more then you ever wanted to know about acting..
« on: February 27, 2012, 05:13:55 AM »
View previous topic :: View next topic   
Jerry
Board Regular

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Tough audition today. How much can I remember?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4 big paragraphs, as well as many short lines. I don't think I can commit to memory the way I did 4 years ago. How long shoud it take to nail 4 paragraphs? They were sizeable.
It may be working off the book time?
Also I am learning a script for a job I have booked. Can I learn the lines for 2 projects at the same time?
I am feeling very mortal 
Now with Eddie Goins!
note: Last o mohicans is not my email address

WTJ
Board Regular

Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough audition today. How much can I remember?   

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
4 big paragraphs, as well as many short lines. I don't think I can commot to memory the way I did 4 years ago. How long shoud it take to nail 4 paragraphs? They were sizeable.

First of all you can memorize just as well or better than you did 4 or 40 years ago. The more you act the better you become at memorizing lines. Some people say once you get past a certain age your memory starts to go. Nope, that is false. If there isn't something organically wrong with your brain, your memory and memorization ability remains intact or even gets better. You may forget some things as you age because when you get older you realize some things aren't worth remembering like you thought they were when you were young. But important things like learning lines only improves over time and practice. Older people being told their memory will fade is a much bigger cause of failing memory than old age itself. Many doctors, psychologists and other so called experts are filling peoples heads with silly, stupid notions. People tend to believe these "experts" and so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Many of these experts are Neandrathals with doctorate degrees. Forget them and what they say. You can memorize anything and everything perfectly and quickly at any age.

Quote:
How long should it take to nail 4 paragraphs?

In the context of your post I can't tell if you really mean, "How long should it take to memorize 4 paragraphs?" or do you really mean nail it?

Your job at an audition is always to nail it. Your job is to blow them away. Knock them silly. Memorization has nothing to do with it. Become as familiar with the material as possible in the time you have. That could be ice cold, 10 or 20 minutes or one to several days. Your job is the same: Blow them away!

Find out as much about your character as you can. What is between the lines? What does the character playing opposite you say that clues you in to your own character? What does the stage direction tell you about your character? Read the sides of other characters in the film. Those characters may talk about your character giving you more information. Look up the work of the director and writer of the project to get a feel for the type of movies or TV shows he or she makes. Tim Burton has a style. If you are auditioning for one of his films, you better be familiar with it. All dramatic filmmakers are not the same and all comedy is not the same. What is the tone of the films they normally make? Then make your own choices with that in mind. Never go in and ask, "How do you want me to play this?" or anything like that. You can ask about the scene or setting but you are the artist and they want to see what you do to bring what's on the page to life. That's your job not theirs.

Do your audition with full conviction and commitment to your choices. Don't be inhibited. Don't hold back. Don't be withdrawn in your choices. Be bold even if you make a complete fool of yourself. That's how to get acting jobs. And don't be caught up in the lines or memorizing them.

Be prepared to get adjustments from the CD. Take those adjustments to heart and be totally committed to those adjustments even if they are very different from the way you have been practicing. If you can't do adjustments then you can't be directed on set. You are worthless even if they loved your original choice.

The longer you've had the material the more the CD(s) will expect you to be memorized. But after you leave the audition room they will never say, "That guy couldn't act worth beans. God he was lousy. He really sucked. But let's hire him anyway because he was off book."

Your character choices, full commitment (that does not mean going over the top) and risk-taking will get you the job. Be as off book as possible. It can make a big difference but focus much more on character.

Don't worry if you flub a line. Make it part of your character's experience.

If you realize you are off to a bad start (which should happen less & less the more you do this), then just stop and ask to start over from the beginning. Don't try to fix things in the middle. When you know it's not going well, it's better to stop and start over from the top. Just make sure you nail it the second run-through.

Quote:
It may be working off the book time?

What does this mean? Did they expect you to be off book at the audition?

You did not say how long you had the sides to prepare for the audition. If you have them a week then being completely off book is to be expected. If you got them the day before the audition you are not going to be off book whether they expect it or not. In either case you memorize and be familiar with the material as well as possible. That way you won't have your face buried in the page at the audition. They need to see your face. On the first audition have the sides with you even if you feel you are completely off book. Don't hold them at your side. Keep them up and easily accessible and turn the pages as you go. If you do need them they will be right there at a brief glance.

The most important thing is the character you develop and the strong choices you make in the audition. Even if they say you must be off book and they want it completely memorized, the character and choices you make are always much more important. So if you have it pretty well memorized but not perfectly, don't worry about it at all. Auditions are called 'readings' for a reason. Read as you need to. If you are a better actor than the rest, they will choose you over everyone else including those who were perfectly memorized (and there won't be many of those).

No two producers, CD's or directors are exactly the same. Some are much different than others. Be prepared for anything. ANYTHING! Maybe your character is one who jumps around a lot and runs all over the room. You prepare yourself to do that but the first thing you are told is: "Do this audition sitting. You cannot get out of the chair for any reason."

Nothing should throw you. Nothing should bother you when they throw you an unexpected curve ball. In fact you should welcome it because it will throw much of your competition into a tizzy and out of the running.

Quote:
Also I am learnig a script for a job I have booked. Can I learn the lines for 2 projects at the same time?

Yes, you can.

Quote:
I am feeling very mortal 

You are not alone.

Jerry
Board Regular

Posted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject:     

WTJ, I can't thank you enough!
I handeled my self like a jerk to boot, I know better.
I had to do a lot of stairs with a leg injury and was panting when I walked into the audition room.
The gig is for PAY albeit a student film. THe location was 3 minutes from my home and I have not done much lately and felt compelled to keep busy.
It is a"One Take" scene. A student exercise?
I noticed a list of actors in front of the director. I wonderd why so many would bother with this.
The charachter is Stan Lee of "Spider Man fame and a host of others.
I was so upset with my performance that I took my Wife to a Chineses Buffett for an "All you can eat orgy!" If I was a drinker, God knows what I'd have sone?.
I was up at 4:00 this morning and look at the mail that was waiting for me.
I can't believe it.
Jerry,
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for auditioning with me today. I would like to offer you
the part of Stan.

Shooting day will be on Wednesday, Feb. 29 starting at 9 AM at:

Paper Hero's Comics
26771 Bouquet Canyon Rd.
Saugus, CA 91350

Shooting should not take more than a few hours.

Please email me to confirm that you are able to make it to shooting day.

Thanks and I look forward to working with you! =]

Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Probably more then you ever wanted to know about acting..
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2012, 12:59:22 PM »
Woohoo!............Jerry.  Congratulations.  I liked what he said about memorizing.  Great encouragement.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"