Author Topic: Here ya go Cindi - Oriental Market Plants  (Read 2174 times)

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Here ya go Cindi - Oriental Market Plants
« on: January 24, 2007, 02:56:15 PM »
First a couple of pics:

Taro from the market

Malanga and Taro in pots next to each other

Malanga

Red Stemmed Malanga
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 03:01:48 PM by Teresa »

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Here ya go Cindi
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2007, 02:58:19 PM »
Here is what I have found available at the local Hong Kong Market and a few others:

Chinese Water Chestnuts - These are smallish bulbs that look to me a lot like gladiola corms - 'bout the same size too.  They are very dark, almost black and always look muddy - even after you wash them ten times, they look muddy.  They grow a grass like plant - actually more like a really thick chive plant with hollow leaves.  These are sometimes available in the grocery as well, but the best ones are the really fresh ones in the market.  Sometimes they even have little green tips on them.

Taro -   I've seen taro bulbs in all sizes from about 1" in diameter to over 6" in diameter.  The bigger bulbs grow really huge plants.  They are sold like potatoes, and they don’t cost much – about 90 cents for a 6” bulb.  They are rounder and rougher than potatoes and not as uniform brown.  They are almost always labeled as taro.
Planting taro from the market:  First, do not submerge them until they have sprouted.  Since this process can take a few weeks, they will rot if they are in water.  I plant them in the pot they are going to be in when put in the pond in pond type dirt and then set the pot by the pond and water it.  I do not use the pond pots without holes because the dirt will get too wet and they will rot, I use regular nursery pots with something lining the holes (found that paper towels work better than newspaper and cloth works best).  If you can figure out which end is up, put it up, but don't worry about it too much as they will sprout either way.  It will take a lot longer to see the sprout if the bulb is upside down, but you'll get about ten plants that way, don't ask me why.  Be patient as they take a while to get started - but once they sprout, they grow like gangbusters and get very huge very fast.

Arrowhead - These seem to be available only in the very early spring. They look a bit like onions - round and white - and almost always have a green growing tip on them.  I've never seen them marked as anything other than arrowhead.  Be careful - the markets also sell arrowroot which is not the same thing.

Watercress -  This is sold in bunches like spinach or other herbs.  It is usually clearly marked.  I've also seen it in the produce section of the grocery store.  Just trim the stems to give them a fresh cut and put them in a glass of water and they’ll root.  I have even rooted them in the pond itself.  It’s a nice plant for a waterfall or the rockery around the pond.  Be careful with it in the falls though because it can be invasive and I’ve heard people say it caused their waterfall to flow over the sides and drain their pond.

Water Spinach - this is a member of the morning glory family.  It is sold in bunches like spinach or watercress.  They only sell the new shoots, and they root easily.  Usually the shoots are between 6" and 12" long, and have narrow pointy shaped leaves that are about 3" long - pretty dark green.  You can grow a nice vine from these, but they like to climb on all your other water plants and can escape the pond.  I found that these root best if you give the stem a new cut and then put each stem in damp sand or dirt – they don’t do as well in water as watercress does.  I liked the way the vines traveled all over around the ponds and covered the rock wall I have around my pond.

Lotus - I have seen cleaned and uncleaned lotus tubers at the market.  The smallest ones were about 4" long and the longest were about 12" long per tuber with two sections attached making each almost 2' long.  I have never ever seen any with any viable growing tips.

Malanga -  This is a food crop from cuba and South America. These tubers come in varying sizes, with the smaller ones shaped more like a sweet potato and the larger ones becoming more round.  The plant looks like a taro, but the leaves are a little thicker and less pointy at the tip and the heart is sometimes right side up and sometimes upside down.  Malanga leaves are held more horizontal than vertical and they are shaped slightly different from taro.  It also seems to be shorter - much shorter and fatter than taro - and a bit lighter green.  I found one last year with red stems.  They would be grown the same way that taro would be - start in dirt and sink in the pond when they have their first leaf.  Here is a pic of one growing.

Sensitive plant - This seems to be available only fairly late in the season. It is sold in bunches of tips that are about 12" long each.  They usually have no roots and none of the white styrofoam looking stuff that makes them float. But if you put the end in dirt and float the stem in the water, most of them grow.  I have seen this plant sold in water gardening stores in exactly the same condition as it is in the market - only for a lot more $.

Lemon grass – This plant grows near water, but doesn’t like to be too deep in water.  It’s usually sold without roots and with all stems trimmed.  It doesn’t look like it will grow, but it will.  A bunch of 5 stems usually costs 99 cents.  I peel the outside leaves off and put the stem in a glass with about an inch of water in the bottom.  I change the water every few days.  It takes a week to ten days before you’ll see roots starting to appear and if you leave the stem in the water, it will start to put out side shoots shortly after you see the roots.

Water Chestnuts, Trapas - These are very strange looking things and are most widely available in the fall but can easily be stored till spring.  They do need to be kept damp throughout the time they are stored or they will not grow. They grow into a floating plant that has a rosette of leaves and a long dangling stem.  They can be attached to roots in the dirt but will often break off and float free.  I take one of the 6" pots and put in a little dirt then stuff in absolutely as many of those bats as I can.  Then I put more dirt in the pot (to cover the bats) and sometimes a second or third layer of seeds and more dirt, then some sand to keep the dirt from floating.  After I've done that I sink the pot at least 18” deep because the shoots grow straight up and will come out of the water, dry up and die if they are in shallow water.  Be aware that koi and turtles love to eat the tender new growth when the seeds first sprout, so protect the plants till they get started.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
Re: Here ya go Cindi
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2007, 03:01:30 PM »
And some trapa pics -

Trapa natans seeds

And trapa bicornis seeds

And two of the trapa growing (just started)

Joyce has some great pics of it really growing.

Offline Sean

• Tropical Waterlily Guru
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • Sean's Ponds & Patio Garden
Re: Here ya go Cindi - Oriental Market Plants
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 03:07:36 PM »
Hey Teresa,

Do you mind if I move this to the tutorials section so it doesn't get lost. I remember this from years ago and thought it was excellent information.

Cheers,
Sean
Vancouver BC Zone 8B
...........Click my Gif's............

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 03:09:18 PM »
I found it on my hard drive . . . . saved from years ago.  The only problem was the pictures . . . . had to refind them and some of them didn't get found.

You may do whatever you wish with it.

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 03:14:41 PM »
Thanks Teresa!

I guess I'll have to do some grocery shopping at the local 99 Ranch Market ;)

Smile!
Annette

Offline Viv

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2007, 12:22:48 AM »
I agree, excellent information for those that are able to get these plants. I wish I could! Unfortunately our quarantine laws are very strict and we can't get any of the above. These and many more that I desire...

Offline Cindi

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2007, 06:42:00 AM »
Wow, thanks so much for posting that Teresa!!!  Even though Sean is going to sticky it I'm still going to print it out.  Those little trapa seeds look like tiny bats!  LOL!!!
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline Pa Nancy

• Members
  • With us since: 13/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2007, 08:14:58 AM »
I just LOVE the Trappa Natan plants. They are one plant that actually grows for me.  @O@

Offline Jerry

• Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2007, 04:16:03 PM »
Annette I love the 99 Ranch market .  Live talapia too.
Tersaa what are the chances of the lotus being viable?
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2007, 05:04:09 PM »
Jerry I've heard one or two people say that they got it to grow, but I've also been told that the plant that is marketed for it's tuber is grown just for it's tuber and hasn't much of a bloom anyway.  These tubers are gigantic, so you'd need a lot of room for the plant.

Offline tracey_shafer

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2007, 06:44:55 PM »
Is that seed starting out the same as a mosic plant?

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2007, 05:48:35 AM »
Is that seed starting out the same as a mosic plant?

It used to be called Giant Mosaic plant in the florida aquatics catalog.  That was years and years ago and that's the only catalog where I ever saw the plant. 

It does look like mosaic plant but the diamond shaped leaves are each about an inch across where mosaic plant is about 1/4" across.  It's much much bigger.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2007, 07:26:16 AM »
If I can offer one caveat...check your local regulations before you go on your shopping spree.  Water Spinach is listed as a federal noxious weed and Trapa natans is illegal in several states;  as are Trapa spp.  The later includes FL and most likely explains why it has disappeared from lists.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Teresa

• Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2007, 08:17:54 AM »
Craig is absolutely correct.  But I don't think they can even sell the produce in those states, so you'd be hard pressed to find them.  And I haven't ever sent any of the trapa seeds to florida . . . .

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2007, 09:41:36 AM »
http://pondkeeper.com/media/1/20061110-regulated_noxious_aquatic_weeds.pdf

This is the most comprehensive and up-to-date site I know of for finding plant regualations.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"