Author Topic: Still Here in Spring Hill, FL!  (Read 789 times)

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Still Here in Spring Hill, FL!
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:12:58 PM »
I was starting to wonder if I'd ever get to a point where I could get back to posting here!  :)

Interesting "winter" down here in Spring Hill, FL. Seems I did a good job of getting the local raccoon population fed during the winter. Really good! For a while, I  thought they'd completely wiped out my waterlily population, but it turns out most of the damage was turning pots over and spilling the contents all over the bottom. Now that Spring has "sprung," and pretty much turned right into Summer, things are growing where I thought there would be nothing at all.

So, I  guess I'll be busy potting up a bunch of "mystery plants" and waiting for blooms so I can ID them and tag them. this means I'll probably remain a hobby grower this year, and work on building up stock and "raccoon-proofing" the ponds. That's OK by me, it was plan A to begin with anyway.

I know it seems that working on the pond and getting the "biz" up and running should be my main focus, but let me provide a little perspective. I'd originally wanted to get a small "hobby-business" going for a little "extra" money when I retire in about 5 years. That plan kind of came apart when my wife had to stop working for medical reasons and our income was cut essentially in half. Hey, it happens.

I never wanted a waterlily business to become serious business, but to remain a hobby-business. You know, something fun, something I could enjoy without it turning into "real work." So, I'm going to keep it as just that. A hobby that will at least pay for itself, and if I'm lucky, provide some extra income.

But, I still need to generate more income or cut things back to a point that I'd rather not have to deal with. So the last couple of months I've been learning software authoring. My teacher is my father. He writes software for the FL Citrus industry for farm maintenance and payroll software that is rather specialized to that industry. For a long time, he's worked knowing that there wasn't anyone to carry on after he's gone, so he was dealing with customers that were becoming a little leery about their software's future. Provided I can become proficient at programing and maintaining the software, I will be taking over the business for him.

Dad says his customers have expressed relief that there will be someone to keep things going in his stead. So, he tells them not to worry, a new, younger guy will carry on. . . But the new, younger guy just turned 60!  ?)(?   I have to wonder just how old his customers are?!?

Right now, learning to write code takes priority over ponds. But, I'll still get stuff done and the waterlily biz will still happen. In the mean time, I'll get to potting up plants, taking pictures and posting articles on my website, as promised. I should be able to do some plant exchanges via the Forum this year and look forward to that.

I want to get back to reading and writing post on the Forum, but maybe in a slightly limited fashion. All in all, I still LOVE it and will keep growing the wet stuff!

Got a question for the commercial members, but I'll put that up in a separate post.

Glad to see so many people still here and that the "posting season" looks to have started!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Still Here in Spring Hill, FL!
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 08:39:14 PM »
Ah ha, now I see what you have been up to. What is your web site might I ask?

Offline Mike S.

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 26/05/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • PT Ponds
Re: Still Here in Spring Hill, FL!
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 08:29:50 AM »
Glad you asked that question! I just noticed that I never did add the website to my profile. Since it still isn't a commercial site, I guess I can post it here. http://www.ptponds.com

I think I've some good pictures of my various waterlilies, a few of the ponds, too. If that sort of pond appeals to anyone, there's a Download page that will drop a pdf on it's construction, complete with pics.

Now that stuff is growing again, I'll be able to add some pages (with pics,) on my version of potting the plants and other topics. Nothing new to most Forum members, but possibly useful to those new to the hobby.

For a minute there, I thought you were asking about the software website! Then I reminded myself that this is the American Ponders Forum.   ;D That's when I realized I'd left my website off of my profile. . .   :redface:  It's OK, I'm awake now!

Mike S.
Spring Hill, FL

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"