Author Topic: N. 'Atropurpurea'  (Read 1386 times)

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
N. 'Atropurpurea'
« on: January 25, 2007, 08:33:25 PM »
What can anyone tell me about this Lily? Can't seem to find it at Wal mart, (Kidding) Would like to know all you can tell me.

Thanks Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
Re: N. 'Atropurpurea'
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2007, 09:43:43 AM »
I'm not sure if the following is of any use to you as I mainly deal with tropicals. I have never personally seen it. The photo you posted is one that is credited to Perry Slocum. It is one of the Latour-Marliac hybrids. He only created and released sterile lilies as far as I know. It would have to be propagated through rhizome divisions. It looks like a nice deep colored lily from the pix I have seen.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 06:06:55 PM »
Is there any way to acquire  it? just have to know the right person? What? I really like the looks of that lily, since you are always in search of the elusive ones I was sure you had a hook up! ;)
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile

Offline Timgod

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Members
  • Houston, Texas Zone 9
  • With us since: 13/09/2006
    • View Profile
    • Timgods Graphics
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 09:58:22 AM »
Unfortunately I am not a lot of help on the hardies. Due to the climate I have access to more trops than anything. For example when I go to Rolf's to purchase something I usually have a choice or maybe 5 hardies compared to up to 30 different tropicals. The reality is also that I am genuinely more attracted to the trops as well. I like the ones that stand really high out of the water shouting "Look at Me" I like attitude in my plants.  ;)
There are a lot of board members who live in the northern part of the country. They most likely would be the best option for this type of acquisition. You'll just need to be patient for a couple of months until they warm up enough to see how well they come out of dormancy.
Tim
On a quest for the elusive lilies...

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 01:58:49 PM »
Hey Andy,

Oft times there is a reason a lily falls out of favor and becomes hard to find.  In this case, Atropurpurea is trouble in the deep South... this lily does not like our warm summers and blooming may grind to a halt and flowers that do manage to open will melt.

I always recommend tropicals as they hit their stride in the southern summer, but if you have your heart set on a red hardy you might want to try 'Perry's Baby Red' which performs well even though it is half Atropurpurea ( guess Perry's magic touch bailed out a more feeble Marliac<g>) or I'm fond of Dr. Kirk Strawn's 'Red Spider' which has mexicana in it...a lily native to your area...and also performs well in the heat.

Btw....looks like Weds is the day we'll head to town, so I get that bulb and seed off to you then.

Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 04:26:32 PM »
No wonder you like it, it is a beauty.
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 06:25:20 PM »
Craig, Thanks it is beautiful but if it won't last, not much sense looking for it. I appreciate the feedback.  good thing you took a minute to let me know. How well do tropicals winter over?  still gets down into the 20's now and then here. Which tropicals are the best for this area?

I will be looking forward to that bulb and the seed. Is there any special way to sprout the seed? trade secrets if you will? Love a good challenge... Thanks Andy

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 07:57:46 PM »
http://www.paradisewatergardens.com/
  it is here for sale page 31 in their new catalog.

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2007, 05:30:49 AM »
Well as they won't do well here in the heat better to find some that do. Too bad though, these looked like attention grabbers! Thank you for another resource Vickie, have you ordered from them before? Plant quality good? Thanks Andy

Offline Vickie

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2007, 06:31:58 AM »
No I have not ordered from them before. But I just thought I would help you find it in case you still wanted it. I live in Missouri which is zone 5 or 6, depends. I have many tropical lilies. I like both but have more tropicals.

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2007, 02:20:43 PM »
Hey Andy,

Just about any tropical should be fine in your area, you are a Z8b? 

If there is one area of disappointment in the tropical pallete, it is in the reds.  I can't think of a single tropical that is available  and a decent red, most are dark pinks of varying shades.  So if it is red you are after, a hardy that doesn't burn is no doubt your best choice. 

I had a friend in Crestview that loved the way Vesuve peformed up there.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"