Author Topic: Water hawthorn seeds - pay it forward  (Read 2191 times)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • Proud mom to a child with Autism
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
Water hawthorn seeds - pay it forward
« on: April 30, 2012, 06:45:04 AM »
I got my water hawthorn seeds from Annette 2 years ago. It flowered some last year but I didn't get to collect the seeds.  This year, the plants flowered quite a bit but were under the net since I couldn't open the pond due to surgery.  I was finally able to collect some seeds about a week ago and get them to sprout in a container.

Thank you Annette for the seeds!! @O@  It is time for me to pay it forward.   :)  If you would like to have a few seeds, please pm me.  I don't have a lot of them so I will send them out as I get the pm.  There is another set of flower in the pond right now which I do plan to collect the seeds from.  Once that's available, I'll post and offer the seeds to pond members again.

Kuan

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Water hawthorn seeds - pay it forward
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 01:40:22 PM »
You're Beautiful, Kuan!  Now this is fun!  Glad the seeds multiplied for you.  I still have my original hawthorne but too busy to collect seeds which have fallen to the bottom and starting to root.  Very crowded in the pot I'm sure.

I love to see this, Fabulous!

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 02:39:50 PM »
I think they're beautiful. They look like little floating orchids..... o(:-)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • http://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gifhttp://banners.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates_both/language/www/US/KS/Wichita.gif
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 03:53:10 PM »
Hi Annette, water hawthorn is awesome, so are you!   O0  I have them in a bucket and then sank it in the pond in the winter.  They are doing really well.

Lynne22 - I got your pm and will be mailing you the seeds either tomorrow or Thursday.  The water hawthorn is in a bucket in shallow end (about 18" - 20") of the pond right now.  They are cool weather plants so they flower in Spring and Fall.  Since you are in FL, it may even flower in your winter.  Hope you enjoy them.

Kuan

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 04:30:05 PM »
Thanks Kuan!! I am looking forward to seeing them!

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 10:48:22 PM »
Would love some of the seeds when you have them again!

tink

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2012, 04:21:06 AM »
Kuan I too would like to have seeds when you have them.

Howard

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 12:39:18 PM »
I have sent all the seeds out to Lynne, Joy (Tinkster), and Michelle.  I've pm'd Howard, waiting for him to give me his address so I can send the seeds to him.  Please let me know if the seeds made it to your home safe and sound.  Hope you enjoy them as much as I do.   :)

Kuan

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2012, 03:29:46 AM »
Hi Tweety, I have not seen them yet. But I will be checking the mail today. Forgot to check yesterday.

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2012, 10:41:46 AM »
Just got the seeds! Thanks Kuan. Can't wait to pot them up!

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2012, 01:15:49 PM »
That's great!  Can't believe it took so long to get to Florida.  Hope they are viable and give you beautiful plants/flowers in the years to come.

Kuan

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2012, 04:08:11 PM »
That's great!  Can't believe it took so long to get to Florida.  Hope they are viable and give you beautiful plants/flowers in the years to come.

Kuan

I know, right? It took a day longer than normal though, because they came postage due, 20 cents, which I was happy to pay, and I'm just thrilled to have them. Thank you so much!! I had to go pick them up at the post office today, so apparently they tried to deliver them yesterday.

OK, just so I don't screw this up. How should I plant them, and when? Now is OK? They are going into a planter pond, that is in the shade except for about 20 minutes a day. Water is probably in the upper 70's right now. How deep should the seeds be planted? An inch? How big does the pot need to be? Sandy soil OK? Is there a specific direction they should face? (up/down? flat side?)They have tiny sprouts on them, and they sort of tried to attach themselves to the paper towel, but I pulled them off gently. No damage. Right now, I have them floating in a dish with some rain water.

Thanks Kuan!
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 04:16:01 PM by Lynne22 »

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2012, 06:25:18 PM »
Oh Lynne, I wonder why they have postage due because I took them into the post office and they told me 2 stamps were good!  :o  I have been mailing them out with 2 stamps since.  If all of them require extra postage, I will be feeling bad...  :(

Here is how I planted them in a bucket which is now in the pond.  I put about 2" to 3" of sand in the 5 gallon bucket, water was about half way up and then just kinda push the roots slightly into the sand and let it sit and grow for a few weeks in shade.  I slowly increase the water level until it is almost full.  Then I lowered it into the shallow part of the pond; part shade.

HTH.  So sorry that you have to pay extra postage.

Kuan

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 06:44:26 PM »
Oh Lynne, I wonder why they have postage due because I took them into the post office and they told me 2 stamps were good!  :o  I have been mailing them out with 2 stamps since.  If all of them require extra postage, I will be feeling bad...  :(

Here is how I planted them in a bucket which is now in the pond.  I put about 2" to 3" of sand in the 5 gallon bucket, water was about half way up and then just kinda push the roots slightly into the sand and let it sit and grow for a few weeks in shade.  I slowly increase the water level until it is almost full.  Then I lowered it into the shallow part of the pond; part shade.

Kuan

Don't feel bad, really. It's no big deal. You were very generous, and I definitely didn't give it another thought, and neither should you. We all know how the post office is. Which is why they are in trouble.  ;)

Ok, I am going to get them planted on Sunday. I don't have time until then, but I think they will be fine. Would you put all of the seeds in the same container, or should I split them into 2 different buckets? If I don't do that, would they be hard to split later on?

Thanks for all the info.  :)

Offline tweetybaby2005

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2012, 08:18:11 PM »
I did put all the seeds into one bucket.  I didn't plan on splitting them later on but I can imagine all the roots get tangled up inside the bucket.  I figured if I need more plants, I can always wait for the seeds from the plants themselves.   :)

Enjoy!

Kuan

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2012, 03:35:52 PM »

Kuan

Thinking of taking a mortgage on the house to pay for it. :)

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 08:05:54 PM »
wooohooo got mine today .. I thank you so much!!!!

I also thank lynn for typing every single question I had as to what to do with them :)

Again thanks!

Tink

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2012, 04:27:36 AM »
Morning all, I noticed something really amazing this morning with the seeds. They are in a dish with some rain water covering them, and they have righted themselves to sit on the narrow side of the seed, with the little sprouts all pointing up. Isn't nature grand?!? Now I know how to place them in the dirt.  O0 Here's a pic;

(they look like little bugs, right?) lol

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 06:20:05 PM »
Kuan,

Just wanted to let you know the seeds came today.  They are in water for tonight and I will pot them up tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Howard
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 06:22:23 PM by howardTheHumble »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"