Author Topic: Salt  (Read 879 times)

Offline reddad35

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 23/08/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Salt
« on: May 04, 2012, 07:32:26 PM »
I have a friend that built a 4500 gallon pond 2 years ago. This year he has been having fits with fish flashing now dying. I just found out they have a water softener. Any thoughts on salt in the water when using a softener? I have heard salt never leaves a pond and you can overdose.

Offline howardTheHumble

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
Re: Salt
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2012, 04:26:56 AM »
I would not use softened water to fill the pond.

All minerals build up over time.   Have them use water that is not softened.   

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2012, 07:21:03 AM »
When I first started ponding, I read something about salt. So I went out and bought canning salt and dosed the pond. All my floating plants started dying so I learned to leave the water salt free at that point. I guess it makes sense that these fish are fresh water fish, not saltwater fish.

Offline 2vetts

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 18/08/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2012, 07:23:52 AM »
salt doesn't evaporate with the water which does . i keep adding salt bringing reading of salt content up and next time i read it salt level has fallen . one could say i'm puzzled .

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2012, 04:27:29 PM »
Yes there are saline tests--he needs to get one ASAP-and also needs to get a fresh water testing kit--check for Ammonia,nitrites and nitrates(this can cause flashing,gasping and death) so always check water parimeters first..If he has high ammonia or nitrites he needs to do massive water changes-stop feeding and get that water good again....bad water quality can also cause a parasite out break..If he checks the water and all the test are good then he probably has a parasite...by all means if he has access to a microscrope he needs to scrap and scope..if he doesn't he needs to get all the salt out of the pond by 25-50% water changes untill he knows the pond is free of salt because if its a parasite the meds don't mix with salt--it can kill the fish if salt is present.....after he is sure the pond is free of salt--he can use proform-c then on the third day of treatment--mix prazi with the pro-form C(shake it up in a glass jar or water bottle-you have to shake it like mad-litterally untill you don't think you can shake any more)add to the pond and leave that in the pond for 7 days..on the 7th day he needs to do a large water change..then the proform-c treament again--again on the third day of treatment add prazi again and leave for 7 days (this is a shotgun treatment and should get everything).....This being said I don't want to advice shot gun treatment unless its impossible for him to get a scrape and scope--Scrape and scope is always best but, when you don't have that--then shot gun treatment is about all you can do.....this should kill any parasites present....

Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"