Author Topic: Submersible pump recomendations  (Read 1917 times)

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Submersible pump recomendations
« on: May 13, 2012, 07:27:16 AM »
I couldn't decide whether this is the correct forum or if Pond Chat would be appropriate  :)

We are in the planning stage of construction on a ~1600 gallon, roughly oval pond with maximum head of 6' for the waterfall. I would prefer a submersible pump to keep all of the water inside the liner to minimize leak potential. Our head pond with the waterfall spill will be inside the liner because I just don't want to deal with waterfall leaks.

I looked at the Dealers section of the forum and there appear to be many choices and pricing is much lower than I had anticipated  :D

Can anyone please provide a recommendation on a brand that has been great for you?

Thanks for your time  :)

This is a plant and goldie pond so no real needs for super filtration.

« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 07:39:34 AM by Pam »
Pam

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Submersible pump recomendations
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2012, 01:55:30 PM »
I also have a plant and goldie pond and have always had good luck and no problems with PondMaster submersible pumps.  Others will weigh in with their opinions too, I'm sure!  :)  I have had my pond for over 15 years and have only had 2 pumps.  The second one only as an upgrade to move more water when I put my bio filter in.
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Pam

• Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2012, 04:33:14 PM »
Thanks Kittyzee!  ;) Pondmaster sounds quite reliable.
Pam

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 03:04:26 PM »
The next time I buy pumps I am not sure that I want magnetic drive.  I have 3 or 4 pondmaster that need new impellers because over a period of years the magnets get weak.  Has anyone else seen this ?

How long is a period of years.  Not sure but thinking maybe 5.

Offline Pam

• Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2012, 09:20:13 AM »
Hi Howard, thanks for the input  :) I always felt that around three years was good for a fountain pump (600 gph), so had no idea that a bigger pump would last longer. What is your average life on a non-mag drive pump? Which brand do you like?

Pam

Offline Kittyzee

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2012, 05:21:49 PM »
Howard, I think if my memory serves me right that after about 4 or 5 years I replaced an impeller on my first pondmaster.  They make it easy with the replacement parts at my local pond store.  When it comes to mechanical problems, I don't know much about it.  Hubby took a look at it and told me what it needed.  I think they were available online too. 
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline howardTheHumble

• Members
  • With us since: 30/10/2011
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • HowardTheHumble's Aquatic Pages
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 12:56:17 PM »
First I want to say I am not exactly a pump expert.

4 or 5 years sounds about right LuAnn.

When I first started ponding one of the first pumps I purchased was not magnetic drive and it ran about 10 years.  It might had lasted longer had I not moved it to a DIY humidifier in the house.  Thinking mineral buildup killed it, or maybe not.  1 is not a great sample size.

Pam, on non magnetic drive pumps the lifetime is mostly limited by the seals and bearing.  On larger pumps these are replaceable.  A google for "pond pump direct" will find some submersible direct drive pumps down to 170GPH from little giant and beckett. 

Offline Pam

• Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 03:59:50 PM »
Thanks Howard for the insight. We're looking for around 1600 GPH for the planned pond. When we broke down my brother and sister in law's pond, we got a Vancs, but when I looked at it, I actually thought that it was a sump pump and would be too much of an energy hound. Maybe the Vancs is a good pump, IDK  :)
Pam

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"