Author Topic: Aeration?  (Read 1291 times)

Offline skarol98

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 17/06/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Aeration?
« on: May 17, 2012, 06:40:21 PM »
Just looking for suggestions on aeration for my pond. Is a small 300 gal above ground pond and is in full sun :)

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Aeration?
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 07:33:26 PM »
Air Pump

google...many nice online stores

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2012, 09:12:55 AM »
and I'd probably just go with an aquarium one for that size...even the pond ones have to be covered so they don't get wet and aquarium pumps are alot cheaper....Here is how I do it--I use two bricks and put them the length of the pump apart-then use some sort of grate(the grates that flats of annual  plants come in work great or the front from an old fan- just cut to size) to set the pump on--run the air hose and cord thru the bottom of the grate between the bricks--then cover with a small bucket, an old pot without holes or even a salad bowl---then place a small rock on top....the pump will stay dry as a bone....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline Julles

• Members
  • With us since: 06/06/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2012, 07:25:16 PM »

that's a great trick, Lawana.

Re the aeration, I would add a water pump, and let it push water through tubing like a fountain, to splash into the pond.  You could connect some kind of filter, and get a clean pond out of the deal, too.   :)

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2012, 08:05:07 AM »
I have a water fountain and a spitter do you think that is enough? Or should I add more?

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2012, 10:13:09 AM »
Do you notice your fish first thing in the morning OR in the heat of the day up at the top of the water 'gasping' or gulping...like they are eating small bugs?

If you do, I'd add air...if not, you probably have plenty of water movement for your small pond.

I was having problems first thing in the morning last summer with the gasping.  Simply doing water changes wasn't helping in the 'still' tanks.  I added an air pump because I didn't have enough electricity available for four more pumps and filters.  The fish quit gasping.  I ran the pump all winter and unless we had an exxtremely long period of freezing weather, there was always a hole open.

Offline skarol98

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 05:48:20 PM »
I'm a late sleeper so first thing in the morning I'm horizontal  @O@ but I have seen them in the heat kind of on the top gasping so I guess I should add some :( they do have more shade now that I added more lilies so I will see, but I think I have to add some air. Lawana can you post some pics I'm more visual :(. Anyways here is a pic of my first bloom of this season :) I was so excited :)

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 08:12:26 PM »
I'll try my best to remember to take some tomarrow....yep its kinda hard to explain...but, a simple concept when you see a pic....
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"