Author Topic: Mulch from heaven or vehicle abuse?  (Read 1017 times)

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
Mulch from heaven or vehicle abuse?
« on: January 30, 2007, 06:01:23 PM »
Got my thirteenth load today.    That adds up to seventeen and a half tons of cottonseed  hulls for mulching the beds and composting.  I guess  that puts me about half way to getting this season’s supply.   Nothing like viewing a bed of plants cloaked in a gray tweed mulch.   (8:-)

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Mulch from heaven or vehicle abuse?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2007, 09:13:12 PM »
Wow!  Paul: Do you mix the cotton seed with other compost?  Do you till it into the soil or lay a layer on top and allow worms and such to break it down.  I have very sandy loam and I am constantly trying to get the soil to hold together better and retain moisture.  So far the best luck I've had has been with mushroom compost but I notice that if it is too fresh that seeds germinate poorly in it. - Mike
American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Offline Koi Boi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • Oklahoma zone 7a
  • With us since: 03/10/2006
    • View Profile
    • Photo Bucket
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2007, 11:45:29 PM »
Hi Mikey!

As I recall your website left me with the impression that you have space constraints that would limit the size of your utility area for the purpose of making compost.  If you get yours bagged or bailed, odds are that it will be unfinished more often than not, or at least that’s the secondary reason I stopped getting packaged compost, the primary reason was cost.  I found that even if I finished the packaged stuff  myself, I couldn’t afford the cost of what it takes to conquer the soil problems you speak of.  So the first order of business for me was to find wholesale amounts as cheaply as possible, if not free.  Stable rentals and livestock shows were my first sources.  I like dry animal manures rather than wet manures.  Horse, sheep, rabbit and the like.  Feed lot manures have too much salt in them, the cows and such are on a movie theater diet, salt in the food to make you thirsty  to get more last minute weight on the hoof, not to mention the salt blocks layin’ around to add to it.  But as the years went buy  the straw that breaks down easily gave way to sawdust and wood chips for stable bedding.  Too high a carbon content for decomposition to suit my needs.   I need a product that has a high enough  natural nitrogen content that all I have to do is pile it up, add water and stir.  Then keep stirring or turning often for rapid decomposition.  When  a pile is finished, I’d rather use it all in a small space and get dynamic results from a few plants  than to take a chance of spreading too  thin and have marginal if not negligible results.  In your case it takes  a lot to hold surface moisture but it does work. I use composted cottonseed  hulls  as soil amendment  or even soil replacement (great for heavy feeding exotics) and then I blanket the beds with a two to four inch layer of raw cottonseed hulls  to insure  a capillary action just underneath the layer is insured.  If you not familiar with the effect, lay a large sheet of plastic on the ground and see how quickly sub soil moisture forms under the  plastic and you’ll see what I mean.  Be sure the soil is tilled before applying the mulch layer, that way the soil will say loose underneath the mulch all season long no matter how much you water or how much it rains.  I apply a few of the most active earthworms  I can locate and in no time I have them in abundance.  Where you are located (Z 10) 1000 breeders will produce at least a million in a season.  Before ya know it ya got worm boroughs all through the root zones of your plants laden with urea nitrogen and castings.  With about 252 kidneys per worm to lubricate their movement, you can expect a lot of urine.  I wish it were easy to collect, I’d use it as a foliar feed.  Oh well I digress.  In regard to your seeds Mikey  I’m not familiar with mushroom compost, so I have no idea how course or fine it is, nor any idea how  well composted it is, but maybe you can glean something from this.  I will compost prairie hay, in abundance around here, instead of using it as a mulch.  It has so many seeds in it that you get a weed patch if used as a mulch.  If thoroughly composted the seeds have rotted and will offer no problems, but in your case, though I’m not sure, that could be a problem.  Well there I go again, my kids tell their friends “don’t ask my dad any questions unless your prepared to listen a few hours to get the answer, if your lucky”.      Holler if ya think I can help. But I don’t promise any short answers unless it happens to be “ I just don’t know”.  ;) {:-P;;

Paul

Offline Jerry

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • "An analog guy trapped in a digital world."
    • View Profile
    • American Ponders!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2007, 07:49:44 AM »
I have a source for free mulch, not compost.  I would surely love to get cottonseed hulls or similar.
I don't think the chance here in Southern California are very good for that.
Any ideas??
Jerry
Northridge, California  
Zone 10

"Any women that tries to be the equal of a man, lacks ambition!"

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2007, 09:11:04 AM »
Mushroom compost is what is left over after they grow mushrooms in manure. It is very fine and not too "hot"
~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Mikey

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2007, 10:43:07 AM »
Good information Paul.  You are right that I don't have room for much of a composting system.  At best I could have material dumped in the street and then I could haul it to the beds.  I have two small compost bins in which I place my plant material.  My son is a woodworker and generates quite a bit of sawdust and wood turnings material.  However, I’ve read the wood shavings and sawdust will actually draw nitrogen from the soil if applied directly to the soil without being composted.  Sometimes I will use wood shavings/sawdust and mix into it a substantial amount of Starbucks coffee grounds which acts as a green and breaks down the material and in addition I will add mushroom compost if available.  Mushroom compost is typically composed of wheat straw, cotton seed hulls, poultry waste, urea and gypsum which is composted, sterilized and then seeded with mushrooms.  I used to purchase it 2 cubit bags and it was quite dense but lately I have only been able to find it as a mixture added to a soil amend.

For a couple of years I kept a worm bin in the house and it generated a TREMENDOUS amount of worms from the kitchen plant material I tossed in.  I released all the worms last year when re-landscaping my front yard and they continue to do a good job because I constantly keep a layer of plant material on the surface for them to feed upon.

I never considered the capillary action of compost on the surface although I knew it helped to hold moisture in the soil.  I recently had our house re-piped.  The soil beneath the house is sand and very dry/dusty.  The plumber spread plastic sheeting beneath the house so that he could crawl around without getting full of sand.  I recently had to crawl around beneath the house and I immediately noticed condensation beneath the plastic and upon pulling it back I was surprised that the soil beneath was moist.  That explains the capillary action you spoke of.  I would never have expected that.

-Mike- Husband of one, father of two, friend of many-

Cypress, CA Z-10b  NWF Certified Backyard Wildlife Habitat #24958

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"