Author Topic: boat bilge pump works for pond clean up  (Read 629 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
boat bilge pump works for pond clean up
« on: May 19, 2012, 11:25:50 AM »
I don't have any bottom drains in my lily ponds & the last couple of inches is always a big mess to clean up.  Scooping muck with a cup into buckets, shop vac which gets way to heavy to empty plus the clean up of it afterwards, & the last bit of filthy water that needs sucked out.

Finally remembered to buy a boat bilge hand pump & it really does help suck out the last bit of water.  Still have to scoop muck but at least it is more solid.  Plus after hosing the pond down of the last bit of dirt before filling, the hand pump made is much faster to clean up that last bit of dirty water.  Just wish the hose on it was about a foot longer.
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Pam

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Baby Doll lotus
  • With us since: 15/11/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: boat bilge pump works for pond clean up
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2012, 11:47:54 AM »
Kat, what size is the hose on it? You might be able to add a length of hose with a plumbing  coupler and hose clamps. Jeff has added all kinds of hose to be used as attachments for the shop vac so that the vacuum can be far away from the pond in an area that I'd like to release the muck, using basic home depot plumbing supplies  :)
Pam

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: boat bilge pump works for pond clean up
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 11:18:34 AM »
That sounds like a lot of work I should be doing with my lily pond too.  Just too busy/lazy  :P :P :P

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"