Author Topic: How to combat snails?  (Read 1593 times)

Offline jclements

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In the Garden Photoblog
How to combat snails?
« on: May 25, 2012, 08:19:08 PM »
Hi all,

I have way too many snails in the pond. It's starting to have a serious impact on some of my plants. Any advice for controlling snails without hurting fish or plants?

Thanks in advance,
Jessica
Dallas, TX
Photoblog:  http://jessicaclements.wordpress.com

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: How to combat snails?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2012, 09:21:55 PM »
You might want to look into getting some assassin snails for summer pond snail control.  I know you don't want problems with a goldfish overpopulation, but I've found they keep the snails under control. 
Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Lynne22

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 09:50:47 PM »
Well, I use clown loaches, but I have no other fish. They have worked beautifully. I think the tropical fish will all eat the snails, but not so much with the others, apparently. I know how you feel though. I hate them. Nothing works, they just come right back, without a fish that will eat them. I had heard of another larger fish that would eat them, but can't remember which one....sorry!

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2012, 06:12:51 AM »
Kat, have been thinking that additional goldfish might be a good thing. Still have some extras?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2012, 07:31:00 AM »
Yes, I do have more goldfish but not sure how to sex them.  If you end up with a boy & girl .... you know how that goes, LOL  ;)   Although I just remembered you've got lots of mosquito fish which really cuts down on eggs hatching.   Sent me a PM if you have time this weekend to get some fish.
Kat

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2012, 07:40:49 AM »
Maybe just a few larger ones to keep Goldie company. I have a 1 pm appointment at legacy and coit today - would 2:30-3 pm be ok?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2012, 09:12:58 AM »
I should be home around then. 
Kat

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 04:45:45 PM »
New goldfish are happy in their new neighborhood! I'll get some photos and do a blog post tomorrow. :)

Thanks again!!
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2012, 01:55:40 PM »
Just got a new blog post up. Kat, I forgot about one other smaller lily that just bloomed. You probably have it, but if not, are you interested in Walter Pagels?
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Offline karen J

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • Karen's Frog Pond
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2012, 02:17:41 PM »
YO YO LOACH. It looks strange (looks like the stripes say "yo yo" on the side, hence the name), and hides whenever you come by, but it eats ALL the snails.  We had an infestation (hundreds) in our aquarium and that little fish ate every single one.

It's just a Wiki article, but it is pretty accurate. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yoyo_loach
Mine hides a lot, but completely eliminated our snails.
Karen
Northern Illinois, zone 5

http://www.pbase.com/karenfrogpond

Offline Kittyzee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2012, 04:49:18 PM »
Explain to me about the snail over population please.  I have some (I don't know what kind) and I also have goldfish.  I've never had an over population of them, but maybe it's because the fish eat them.  Do they eat the live snails, or the eggs that the snails lay on the undersides of water lilies?  This winter I thought all of my snails died, but I saw one or two large ones, now I have seen a couple of baby snails with the snail eggs on the plants.  Do snails eat plants?  I am ignorant about this and need to learn!!   :D
LuAnn

There are things you do because they feel right & they may make no sense & they may make no money & it may be the real reason we are here:  to love each other & to eat each other's cooking & say it was good.  ~  Brian Andreas 

American Ponders Watergardening
American Ponders Pond and Koi Forum

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2012, 04:54:57 PM »
Loaches do great to reduce the snail population but I don't think Jessica wants to drain her huge pond to catch any tropical fish at fall so they don't die from winter cold.

Jessica, glad your new goldfish are doing so well.  Goldie certainly makes the others look tiny but they'll grow fast now that they've got a huge home to live in.

I don't know if goldfish eat the snails when they are smaller or eat the eggs but I notice I have less snails in ponds with goldfish as compared to a pond that doesn't have goldfish.
Kat

Offline jclements

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2012, 05:30:51 PM »
We used to keep loaches in an aquarium, they're really fun fish. But like Kat said, it would be tough to get them out of a 6000 gallon pond as the water temp drops in the fall. Well, maybe not too much cause they'd probably end up being like 12" long by the end of a summer!! We'll try the goldfish for now.... :)

We have tons of snails in our pond probably because the haven't had many or any predators. They certainly came from plants or just showed up on their own. I find huge ones on the bottoms of lily pads and lily pad stems all the time, plus the skimmer basket and a pre-pump basket. There are way too many. I assume fish will eat the eggs - perhaps a real snail guru can chime in and educate all of us! :)
Jessica
Dallas, TX

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"