Author Topic: Ideal size pots for tropical lilies?  (Read 1235 times)

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Ideal size pots for tropical lilies?
« on: February 07, 2007, 06:39:29 AM »
How much does the pot size affect the leaf spread and flower size and frequency of a tropical, in particular 'Leopardess' or the 'Leopardess' imposter that Sean believes I have?

I've tried it in a pot around 10-12" and in a 6" pot. Not sure if the smaller flowers are due to pot size or the fact that the lilies just haven't had enough time to grow since being divided. It also seems that they are making more crowns in the smaller pots (because it stresses them a bit?).

I'm trying to decide on a tradeoff between reducing surface area of leaves and having large and frequent flowers.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline JoshS

• Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • In The Country Garden & Gifts
Re: Ideal size pots for tropical lilies?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 08:22:07 AM »
Bigger Pot = Bigger Plant = Bigger & More Flowers

It's all directly related.

You can grow a decent sized plant in a 10"-12" pot, but most tropicals need a larger pot to reach their potential.  I grow my display plants in 16"x7" tubs.  The leaf spread on these can easily reach 6' across with multiple flowers most days.

Don't forget the fertilizer.  It's hard to over fertilize an actively growing tropical lily.
Josh
Iowa - z4

In The Country Garden & Gifts
http://www.inthecountrygardenandgifts.com

Gardener's Touch Hand Cream
http://www.gardenerstouch.net

Offline CoolShades

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2007, 05:15:27 PM »
Actually as you crowd the roots you get more tuber formation, so growers usually use 4" pots until I heard about Seans dixie cups!!!  But you observed what happens when you go small .

Gary

Offline Joyce

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
  • location: Southold, North Fork, Long Island, New York, Zone 7B
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Albums
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2007, 05:20:19 PM »
I agree with Josh...
The pot doesn't have to be very deep at all, but, the the wider, the better blooms, at least in my experience. :)
Peace to all  ... Joyce

Breast Cancer Survivor

“Study nature, love nature, stay close to nature.
It will never fail you.”
Frank Lloyd Wright

Offline Craig

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2007, 05:41:24 PM »
My two cents?  If you have a long growing season.....go for pots with holes!  I use standard 2 qt. nursery pots( read cheap, cheap, cheap) but the roots escape so the width/depth ratio isn't much of an issue and you don't have losses from decomposing roots.
Craig     SW FL 9B

Don't sweat the petty things....and don't pet the sweaty things.

Offline PondmaninAL

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Members
  • Pond God
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »
I'm with Craig on this one. I use the regular black nursery pots with holes for all my plants, except lotus. The roots come through the holes and the holes help the roots and bacteria to breath. The marginal plants that I use in the plant filter have their roots coming out through the holes and down through a wire shelf. The waste gets caught in the roots and the plants get their food.

Happy ponding,
Scott
o(
Happy ponding,
Scott o(

ALABAMA!! 2010 BCS National Champion!!

[img width= height= alt=Click for Odenville, Alabama Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150]http://weathersticker.wunderground.com/weathersticker/miniStates/language/www/US/AL/Odenville.gif[/img]

If you think that your question is dumb, imagine how totally stupid you will look if you don't ask it.

Offline Marilyn C

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2007, 06:15:03 AM »
I also use regular black nursery pots with holes for the tropicals.  I put a folded piece of newspaper in the bottom when I am planting.  It helps contain the soil for a little while, and the roots grow out of the holes.

Offline Vickie

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2007, 06:41:30 AM »
I use whatever I can scrounge up. Nursery pots, bowls from Dollar General anything. I have 9 water gardens and still run out of room for my lilies. I also want tubers so I enjoy the smaller plants which take up less room and I get tubers.

Offline SheilaJ

• Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2007, 08:55:45 AM »
I've used all different types of pots too - water garden ones with holes or without, nursery pots lined with landscape fabric - any port (or should I say pot?  ;D ) in a storm!

What I really need is an ideal pot SIZE for those of us growing up north. My lilies are outdoors from June 1 to sometime in October, maybe November if I get lazy or busy! Thanks.
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"