Author Topic: I've Got Fish!  (Read 2481 times)

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
  • With us since: 23/01/2007
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
I've Got Fish!
« on: February 07, 2007, 05:50:23 PM »
 @O@ There is one big chunk of ice left up there and I got a big stick and pushed it down to the shallow end and sure enough there were my kids. Even the gazillion babies I need to fish out this spring. I was so exdited I almost slipped in. The light orange one with white is Fire Dragon and now I'm quite sure he's a long fin and scaleless. He's really cool. Anyways I hope you enjoy! o(
I'm just happier outside!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: I've Got Fish!
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 06:15:13 PM »
Yup sure enough. Hi FISH!! o(

Mine are really socked in. I don't know how many inches of snow is on the ground but it's been subzero a lot lately.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 06:38:43 PM »
Thats great!!!  Until a few days ago with the hard freeze I could see mine just laying on the bottom.. not now!

I envy you all the colors.. mine all seem to be the same one color orange except for my 3 koi.

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 08:50:01 PM »
I had been hopeing that with all the ice and snow on it for so long there wouldn't be much algae groth but nooooo :no: there is hair down there prettier than mine. Boy do I have a job ahead of me this spring. :'( But the good news is the water has stayed chrystal clear all winter.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Cindi

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2007, 05:40:49 AM »
I just commented to my DH last night that I miss being able to see my fish.  I have so much snow on my pond and have no idea how many inches of ice I have either.  It sure will be nice once spring gets here so we can finish the landscaping around the pond an do the finishing touches on the waterfall.  :::sigh:::   :(
Cindi
Cedar Springs, MI , Zone 5

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2007, 08:50:46 AM »
Before I put in the big pond I would always get depressed around this time of year, but man going months without a look peeksy at my fish was really getting me down.  :'( o( So now if the mountions of piled up snow will melt I'll be so happy. @O@
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline finnpond

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2007, 09:24:40 AM »
Hi Debbie...   Your fish look great...  I haven't seen hide nor hair ... um...  scales or fins?.... of mine since November...  they seem to do that every year until the water warms up...  And, yup, I've got the green wavy stuff growing too...  Not bad though, and the water is very clear.

Kai lives and works in Seattle, unmarried and very happy..  He's into surfing on the Washington Coast and what I would call Extreme SnowBoarding in the winter...  There are probably quite a few folks we know mutually from the Valley...

Take Care...  Dave     o( 

GAJen

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2007, 02:31:39 PM »
Congrats and Congrats they are so cute.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2007, 08:01:42 PM »
Mine are hidden beneath snow and ice too.  I miss them so much that I bought two feeder goldies a couple days ago, set me back a whole fifty cents. ;D  I have them sitting on the kitchen counter.  Think spring. O0
Karen

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2007, 08:06:57 PM »
I had been hopeing that with all the ice and snow on it for so long there wouldn't be much algae groth but nooooo :no: there is hair down there prettier than mine. Boy do I have a job ahead of me this spring. :'( But the good news is the water has stayed chrystal clear all winter.

If it really is hair algae . . . . the stuff that's about 1/4 to 3/4 inch long and pretty uniformly covers everything . . . . then you won't have to worry about it in the spring.  It will disappear pretty quickly when the plants start growing and the water warms up.  It does keep the water crystal clear tho - the turtles used to love it.

Offline tinkster

• Trade Count: (46)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2007, 08:43:24 PM »
I have the short algae stringy stuff too on the sides, the pots etc.  but right under my waterfall on those rocks it really seems to be massing up in huge bulks.  I am hoping that is the same stuff but it sure is much longer thatn 3/4" or maybe just looks it since its all bulked up.

tinkster

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2007, 10:00:19 PM »

If it really is hair algae . . . . the stuff that's about 1/4 to 3/4 inch long and pretty uniformly covers everything . . . . then you won't have to worry about it in the spring.  It will disappear pretty quickly when the plants start growing and the water warms up.  It does keep the water crystal clear tho - the turtles used to love it.
That sounds like it! Teresa, thats the best thing I'v heard all winter! I have a touch of string also but now I can start getting to some of that with my trusty tolit brush tied to a poll. Thanks for that gret news!!!
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 11:40:08 AM »
I haven't seen my fish for about 3 weeks now.  Last time I saw them was when the ice wasn't that thick and I could see them swimming towards the top.  We now have around 4 inches of snow on the ground and expecting more Sunday-Tuesday so seeing the fish will have to wait.  I am can't wait to be able to do a head count.  It has been in the single digits for about 2 weeks or so now and not going to be improving much in the next week.  I'm sure they are fine, but I still worry.  It was so warm for the majority of the winter and I'm sure they are just as shocked as we are. 
Central IL zone 5

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 09:56:21 PM »
Well I was out there today for quite some time trying out my B-day present and as I pulled up the green stuff my fan tail shubumkin was pigging out. it was real funny. I'd stick that brush in and he'd come a runnin err swimmen to see what I was going to offer him/her. It surprised me that it came up into the shallows. The koi still arent moving much. Boy will my arms be sore in the morning :'(
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline goldenangel

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2007, 02:26:02 PM »
Won't be seeing mine any time soon.  They are buried under a foot of snow.  We have only had about 3 1/2 - 4 weeks of frigid and snowy weather and I am already sick of it. Most of the winter was mild with 40's and 50's.  It was sure a shock to the system when we got the sub zero temps.  I am sure ready for spring.
Central IL zone 5

Offline El Jefe

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2007, 07:04:22 PM »
I had purchased several Koi small young ones, only to find that I was providing the local raccoons a sushi bar! o( that was out in my small pond out front.  I think my Native fish would find koi a tasty treat if I put them out back. You pictures reminded me of all of the ones I lost..... :'( great pictures Debbie.
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2007, 09:24:56 PM »
Sorry Andy about your koi. I would die if anything got mine now. We have had a huge hawk hanging around so I have been doing my fin count dailey now that the ice is off.
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Pondpuppy

• Members
  • With us since: 04/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2007, 01:38:31 PM »
Hi Debbie and Andy, Finally got the E-Mail address correct.  Thanks Andy for you help, and you Debbie for telling me about this forum. 

Carol

Offline El Jefe

• Members
  • Senior Chief USN Ret
  • With us since: 09/11/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2007, 06:26:43 PM »
 O0 Carol you made it!!! Glad Sean was able to get it all worked out (8:-)
Andy
… The soul is dyed the color of it’s thoughts. Think only on those things that are in line with your principles and can bear the light of day. The content of your character is your choice, Day by day, what you choose, what you think and what you do is WHO you become. Your integrity is your destiny, it is the light that guides your way……

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2007, 10:39:04 PM »
Hay, Hi Carol, Glad ya made it. So now tell these people where you live cuz over in your welcome thread you live some where warm and exzotic!!!!!!!!!! lol Oh pleas tell me ya haven't left Georga? :-\
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Offline Pondpuppy

• Members
  • With us since: 04/02/2007
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 15, 2007, 05:38:23 AM »
Hi Debbie,  Not in the warm sunny south, rather the frozen sunny south.  22 degrees today.  The fish aren't even moving. Doug is a southerner and doesn't understand when I tell him, northern cold is different from southern cold.  The cold today is a northern cold.  The kind one likes to be out in.  Later today, I'll go out and do my favorite thing, pull out string algae.  Oh my aching back!

Carol

Offline barb

• Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2007, 09:13:34 AM »
Glad to see all your fish!  Mine are under several inches of ice.  I pulled up the pond heater a few times to try to catch a peek of them.  One eventually swam by the hole last week while I was peeking, so I know at least one is still alive.  This is my pond's first winter.  I did notice a lot of green algea under the heater, I was hoping that was just because of that immediate warm area.  The water wasn't too clear, though.   :(

Offline happyoutsidegirl

• Members
  • Be An Organ Doner
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2007, 05:40:12 PM »
Carol, remember the great extion poll I talked about with the neet tolit like brush on it? I hate it!!!!! &-)It works so good I have been out there several times to dig out the algae. I'm hopeing that it's true it will go away as the temps come up? It's not string but the fuzzies. When I use that poll brush thingy it pulls out in big clumps. My Koi are still verry slugish and wont hardly move. The babies how ever is a different story! They are quit active?
 Debbie
SunnyEastern Wa.
zone 5-6

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"