Author Topic: More Lily pics  (Read 1947 times)

Offline Kat

• Trade Count: (176)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
More Lily pics
« on: June 16, 2012, 05:42:32 PM »
From today

Kat

There is never enough room for all of the water lilies that I want ;-)

Offline Kat

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: More Lily pics
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2012, 05:43:31 PM »
And more

Kat

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2012, 05:47:10 PM »
and even more

Kat

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2012, 06:30:10 PM »
Just gorgeous! I'm jealous of your tropicals! 8-)~

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 03:54:29 AM »
Love that June Allison....wish I had more room. But if the lemon mist doesn't bloom more this year, it's outta here next year. This LM lily puts up pad, after pad, after pad, but the blooms are very few and far between. Right after I divided it, all of them had buds within a week. Now, nothing. For weeks. They are fed, in full sun, etc. I don't get it. But I'm over it.

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 05:07:31 AM »
Thanks.

LynneNY, you might consider some Thermoplanter pots to grow a couple water lilies.  I'm going to pot a couple of my tropicals in one this fall & see how long I can keep them blooming.  And there are several members that order blooming size tropicals to grow just for the summer months.

Lynne22, I'm surprised your LM doesn't bloom better for you.  Mine will all summer long & it isn't in a cool spot either.  It does make lots of extras like you've found out.  And like you, I need more room.  So I've been letting some of my tropicals go this summer to make space for the ones I like better.
Kat

Offline bunny56lbc

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Members
  • With us since: 06/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 08:07:10 AM »
You're waterlilies look Great , kat ! Love the red velvet elvis iris..

bonnie

Offline LynneNY

• Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 10:54:01 AM »
Thanks.

LynneNY, you might consider some Thermoplanter pots to grow a couple water lilies.  I'm going to pot a couple of my tropicals in one this fall & see how long I can keep them blooming.  And there are several members that order blooming size tropicals to grow just for the summer months.

Unfortunately, I cannot justify the prices of tropicals, let alone a special pot for them. I do LOVE their colors though, but they are just not in the budget. But I can live vicariously through all the wonderful posts of beauties here.

Last winter we did not use the heater for the pond, because the previous 2 winters it increased our electric bill by $400/month for 2 months each year! THAT was ridiculous - I didn't spend anywhere near that for the fish we were trying to keep alive with the heater!  Thankfully, we had a very mild winter and they all survived, minus the 3 or so that the heron got early spring.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 10:58:10 AM by LynneNY »

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 11:09:43 AM »
Maybe once the hardy/tropical hybrids finally get on the market there will be some blues/purples that are cold hardy for you northern folks. 

I couldn't justify spending $400 a month to heat a pond ... yikes!
Kat

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 12:28:49 PM »
Beautiful............I think June is my favorite.

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 02:20:02 PM »
Beautiful as always!! I love that red velvet iris!!

Do you ever have divisions of it?

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »
Craig sent me Red Velvet Elvis last year so I don't have extras of it yet.  I'm letting it grow out this year.  It is actually more purple looking to the naked eye but just as beautiful.
Kat

Offline Holldoll

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/09/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 02:29:05 PM »
Put me on the list for it!

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 04:07:19 PM »
Thanks.

Lynne22, I'm surprised your LM doesn't bloom better for you.  Mine will all summer long & it isn't in a cool spot either.  It does make lots of extras like you've found out.  And like you, I need more room.  So I've been letting some of my tropicals go this summer to make space for the ones I like better.

Hi Kat, in a 5 gallon pot,(I think that's what they are- they are mop buckets cut down to about 10" tall by 10"?) how many tabs do you think they need? I have tried 2,3,4, each- spread out over a week or so, and nothing. I had the thought that maybe I wasn't putting the tablets deep enough too. Could that be? Maybe the tabs are leaking out before they get to the roots?

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 04:29:07 PM »
Lynne, I have all my hardies planted in dollar store dishpans, both round & oblong.  I'll put a layer of fertilizer (Osmocote green cap 14-14-14) mixed half/half with Colorburst fertilizer (I get both at Home Depot) on the bottom, then dirt, the plant, & gravel on top.  I am probably putting too much fertilizer in the pan  {:-P;;   If you have a particularly stubborn lily, plant in a pot with a couple of holes for gas exchange.  Another fertilizer I'll use is the Jobe's Tomato spikes when I don't want to mess with pulling the plant out of the pot.

Kat

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 07:03:09 PM »
Lynne, I have all my hardies planted in dollar store dishpans, both round & oblong.  I'll put a layer of fertilizer (Osmocote green cap 14-14-14) mixed half/half with Colorburst fertilizer (I get both at Home Depot) on the bottom, then dirt, the plant, & gravel on top.  I am probably putting too much fertilizer in the pan  {:-P;;   If you have a particularly stubborn lily, plant in a pot with a couple of holes for gas exchange.  Another fertilizer I'll use is the Jobe's Tomato spikes when I don't want to mess with pulling the plant out of the pot.

Hmm, you have me thinking about that whole gas exchange....maybe that's why they all got buds when I divided them. They liked the air. I can make holes in them. Small scissors....and I might try a couple more tabs, or some pantyhose buried with some osmocote. Only thing about the osmocote is, this year, for some reason, it seems to be kicking the cyanobacteria in to full blown blooms. Never had it before this year, and only in the containers with it, in a plant or the Tea Cup. But I have been unable to get rid of it, even with more oxygen and water changes. It smothers the small pygmy lily pads, and the parrots feather FAST.  But I will give that a try.

Meanwhile, the Trickett has finally started in again. This pic was from yesterday, or the day before, and as you can see the pads are HUGE. They are well over 13". There are NINE buds on it, more than it's ever had. This one got 6 tabs over the span of a week, then it went crazy.  See the lemon mist, not one bloom. Sad.

Anyway, I am so glad it recovered from repotting it. And it seems as strong as ever. In fact, the most buds it ever had before at one time were 7, so it's actually doing better than before.

Here it is before-or right when I repotted it;

And the other day;

Offline Kat

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2012, 07:46:23 AM »
HollDoll--you'll have to remind me in early spring before they get too big.

Lynne22--your gardens are lovely as always.  Let us know if poking holes in the pots helps your Lemon Mist do better.
Kat

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"