Author Topic: Sunshine on a cloudy day!  (Read 1150 times)

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Sunshine on a cloudy day!
« on: June 22, 2012, 01:16:13 PM »
I have a larger patch inground, but had to cut these a few weeks ago, as they were draping over the pathway.They make great plants whether in pots or in the ground. O0  People are always very surprised to see cacti growing here in NY, but they actually grow wild in the mountains here also I am told.  They get flat, deflated, and ugly in the colder months, but plump right up when the weather warms up.

Offline Indiana Karen

• Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Sunshine on a cloudy day!
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 05:34:27 AM »
Hum............why didn't I think of that.  I have several small starts and have had a hard time deciding where to put them.  That pot is perfect. 

Offline miguynmkoi

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
  • Smile!
  • With us since: 23/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2012, 12:56:11 PM »
Beautiful!!!!  So many flowers on a small cutting!  I'm trying to collect some info for snow country (Tahoe) landscaping...do you in ground cactus get buried by snow, assuming it snows where you live?

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2012, 04:24:56 PM »
They do get totally covered by snow - as a matter of fact, they are in a garden that gets covered by all the snow that is plowed down our driveway - sometimes that can be 5 ft. high depending on the severity of our winter. :-\  When the snow melts, there are a few black/dead pieces, but I cut those off, and the rest perk right up just as soon as it warms up. I have a large area that is in bloom now, but it doesn't like pictures apparently - none that I've taken show the true colors well.

By the way, we lived in Reno for 7 years, and that is what got me so interested in cacti/succulent plants. Tahoe is such a wonderful place to live, it was only about 20 minutes from us - so jealous of you!

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
Beautiful! Most succulent plants don't like me. Your blooms are lovely. I had no idea cacti flowers were so nice.  :)
My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline LynneNY

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 09:18:35 AM »
Beautiful! Most succulent plants don't like me. Your blooms are lovely. I had no idea cacti flowers were so nice.  :)

These thrive on neglect really. All I do is clean them up late spring, pot up a few pieces here and there, and the rest is up to them.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"