Author Topic: renovate my living room  (Read 4069 times)

Offline Bartman

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Members
  • With us since: 09/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
renovate my living room
« on: February 08, 2007, 01:17:09 PM »
Ths is almost a blank slate.

The mirror doors at the entry will be removed.  I'd just rather have an opening there instead of people tripping on each other to get coats from the closet while trying not to have their wet boots standing on the carpet.

The wallpaper will be removed.

The carpet will stay for now.

The ceiling will stay white for now.

The blue sheers she has on the window aren't staying (too bad).

In the future I want a small fireplace on the wall that has no windows and no wallpaper.  I have a ship model I built many years ago that I would like to finally display.  I would like something to have some photos on and other personal items like photo albums, etc..  I figure I will get a sofa, chair, coffee table.  I will have my friend make two stained glass lamps.  I'm thinking earthtones.  It is not a big room.  There will be no TV in this room.  To me this room is for conversation with good friends and family.

Bart

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: renovate my living room
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2007, 01:43:24 PM »
Are the walls off white or white? I can't tell from the lighting of the pics. Is there wall paper on that one wall?? I would get rid of it.
The room needs some soft color on the walls. Leave the ceiling and moldings white for contrast. If there is an overhead light fixture in the room you might change it to a nice ceiling fan.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2007, 01:44:58 PM »
No overhead light.  Walls are off white I would say.  Wallpaper on that one wall WILL be going.

Bart

Offline Indiana Karen

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2007, 08:18:47 PM »
No suggestions here for decorating.  It takes me forever to make up my mind when I change anything.  I wanted to tell you that I love that hugh window in your living room!  I like lots of windows, makes me feel closer to being outside.  Have fun decorating your new home and take your time.
Karen

Offline Teresa

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Members
  • Atlanta - zone 7b
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2007, 08:50:46 AM »
Um, that's a lotta white and blue!!!  Definitely needs to be redecorated!!!  Needs some color in a major way!!! 

Offline barb

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • Connecticut
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2007, 09:56:40 AM »
Yep I agree, slap some color on those walls.  Since you like earthtones, maybe a sage green to compliment the earth tones, or a sand color.  I hope you share the after pics with us!

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2007, 01:38:03 PM »
I am really leaning to the coffee/cream 50/50 tan colour with white trim.  I just can't make it come together in my mind just yet.  I have to purchase all the furniture for this room for the most part so I have plenty of options to make it work whichever way it pans out.

I'm still stuck on those ceramic end tables and coffee table too, but I'd have to find a really good deal since I can't justify the price for what I'm getting.

The window is so big that it is also tough to picture blinds on it.  I would rather have had three narrow window side by side or a bay window, but as such this will remain this way for a number of years so I will need to find a solution I can live with.

Bart

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2007, 01:48:36 PM »
I have a window that big with no divisions in it. I have vertical blinds. Much cheaper than fabric drapes. They sort of look like fabric on the colored side and are plain white on the other side.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2007, 04:51:30 PM »
So, blue vertical blinds?

I can't say I am a fan of vertical blinds.  Too.... don't know if I can put a word to it.  Too modern looking, or maybe too "precise" with the lines.   Too out of place with my idea of cozy.

Bart

Offline LeeAnne151

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Members
    • View Profile
    • My Photo Galleries
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2007, 06:17:10 PM »
Yours or mine? Mine are green. Sage green to match my sage green walls. They are a lighter shade than the walls actually, they match the ceiling.

~LeeAnne~

“Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea.”

Robert A. Heinlein

Portland, Oregon. USDA Zone 8~Sunset Zone 6

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2007, 08:59:38 AM »
So you match the window treatments to the walls and in my mind the window treatments should contrast the walls.  I'm thinking now that for the living room maybe a decorative rod and more taditional drapes would be okay.  More soft to fit my cozy feel to the room.  I'm still stuck on that coffee/cream colour and now using a black sofa and chair and splurging on the tile end table and coffee table as the highlights.

I also have a couple potted plants to add some colour and will have two stained glass lamps. 

I'm also open to "home made art" as so many of those decorating shows do now.  I have many nice photos of my flower gardens that my friend has been taking over the last three years.  I'm getting the idea of blowing some up to about 10x10 inches and mounting on a black board then covering with a larger piece of clear plexi-glass that is screwed to the board.  A set of three on one wall.

But, keep the ideas coming.

Bart

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2007, 11:06:54 AM »
I hate the look of ceiling fans or ceiling lights in a living room. But on the other hand the fans sure do circulate the air. I don't think you have a problem with heat there though. But again, if heat rises, then the fan will push it down to human level. Agree that curtains/drapes are a softer/cozy look. It's all what you are comfortable with. If you had a fireplace on the long wall, will the sofa be in front of the large window?

Offline SheilaJ

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Members
  • Westminster, MD, zone 6/7
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2007, 07:51:43 PM »
Our living room has a tan/taupe/coffee cream wall color with bright white trim and a tan mottled carpet. It's a crisp and neutral backdrop and goes with nearly everything. My sofa is dark navy with a small white, red and tan pattern (it's old and I'm sick of it, but can't afford to replace). The tan would also look great with a dark green, or with bright red, or with black.

I hate treating huge windows. Do you need something that will close for privacy and/or temperature or sun control? There's a catalog called Country Curtains that has a nice range of fairly affordable but nice stuff. I use a cream, flecked fabric in my living room and it blends nicely with the walls. Of course, if you put enough potted plants in front of a window, who needs any window treatment? ;)
Please see my 300 gallon pond and my container ponds at:
http://members.aol.com/perfectplantsgro/biggerpond.html

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2007, 08:20:38 PM »
Sun in that window would be an issue only in summer in the morning and evening.  Curtains would mainly be for privacy, but I would want to block it at the times I mentioned.  I am looking at drapes that have a simple rod at the top and fabic "hooks".  Just simple.  No tie-backs or anything like that.  Yank them shut or open depending on what I feel like.  I am considering black for the sofa as well.  Another house I looked at had similar wall colouring to what I am thinking and a black sofa and I thought it went together well.

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2007, 08:28:57 PM »
Hey Bart,
 You have always asked for opinions and I'm not too shy in giving mine.

What did I tell you? COLOUR- AND I MEAN VIVID COLOUR. Leave the ceiling white, but make those walls a vibrant, eye popping colour.
Absolutely NO verticlal blinds! Pleated horizontal blinds are clean looking and very affordable. A black sofa will show absolutely EVERYTHING!, but then again, it's your place and you should do what ever the hell you want.

Have fun,

Steve
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2007, 08:42:34 PM »
Purple pok-a-dots?  Hot pink?

The horizontal blinds would be tough on that window.  It's about six feet wide and that is lot of dusting to do on those things!  Generally I'm not sold on the dusting part as it is!  I've taken note on the black sofa.

Bart

Offline Esther

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Members
  • With us since: 05/01/2006
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2007, 05:29:34 AM »
He's right about black showing every little bit of dust and lint. I don't remember if you have a cat or dog but boy would you have to keep it covered with a sheet if you did.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2007, 08:20:10 AM »
No house pets.  I'm thinking of getting a bird or reptile later.

Bart

Offline Desertponder

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2007, 08:59:34 AM »
I know vivid, bright color is the "in" trend right now but be very careful what you pick. You've got to make sure you can live with it. DH and I recently looked at a house that the occupants had painted the interior walls in this brick red and it was just hideous. Way too much. Another we looked at they had painted some walls a golden yellow and others a medium brown. It was awful too. The worst by far was the one place that had royal purple walls throughout. Oh my word!! I wish people would stop with the awful colors of paint. But that's my personal preference.

I agree that anything black or navy will show every piece of lint, etc. But you might consider a black leather sofa and chair. That would not be so bad.
Shanna
A true-blue kiddie pool, whiskey barrel & stock tank  ponder! :yes:
If it can hold water.....it's a watergarden!

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2007, 09:20:00 AM »
Yeah, I'm thinkng leather is not in the budget, but that's okay.  It is still in the design stage and nothing has been decided yet.  I'll be window shopping quite a bit over the next few weeks.

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2007, 07:56:44 PM »
Hey Bart, I have to assume that these pics are of the place before the other people moved out, their stuff, right?

Everything is a little too perfect. Just doesn't feel like home.
I could easily tell you what I would do, but that's me. There are too many people that decorate their house so that it does not offend other people, NOT ME, ---------It's YOUR house, do what ever the hell you want! bottom line,

Make it your place!
And HAVE FUN DOING IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

One more thing about the horizontal blinds, I am talking about accordian blinds. I have 3 windows in my living room, 2 are 6' and the other one is 8'. dust? not a problem. (did I mention that I hate dusting?) And they are VERY EFFICIENT!

Steve
« Last Edit: February 12, 2007, 08:05:17 PM by EagleEye »
My Biggest Worry Is That the other half (when I'm dead)  Will Sell My Fishing Stuff For What I Said I Paid For It

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2007, 08:43:36 PM »
Yes, everything in the photos belongs to the existing owners.  None of it or the layout appeals to me.

No worry about who it will be decorated for.  Nothing will be done or put in the place that I don't personally care for.

I do not like horizontal or vertical blinds.  Shades are more my thing.

Bart

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2007, 09:16:50 PM »
That window does look like a small challenge.  After you figure out what your going to do it, you can come do my living room window. 

I have a big corner window, one way is 71" the other window is 81".  There are two windows that open on either end.  The inches are totals from all of it with the picture windows in the middle.  The inches include the picture windows and the ones that open.  In the corner there is about 5 inches of wall or structure to work with, talking about hard to come up with something.

Kim
« Last Edit: February 13, 2007, 09:50:30 AM by Ky Kim »

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #23 on: February 13, 2007, 07:33:32 AM »
May I suggest drywall for your problem Kim?

Bart

Offline Ky Kim

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Members
  • location: Louisville, Ky.....6 A/B ish, depends on which way the wind blows I think.
  • Kimberly
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 13, 2007, 09:48:06 AM »
LOL@Bart

Kim

Ponds are like patato chips, ya just can't have one.

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2007, 10:48:29 PM »
Bart,
  I sell custom window treatments (own my own business), I agree with Steve. The accordian blinds come in lots of colors, fabrics and textures. They are made so the pleats are slanted when down (hard to describe.....sorry). Anyway, since they aren't totally flat when closed (down) they don't collect dust, plus most of the fabric they're made from are actually anti-static. You can get semi-private, private, room darkening, you can even get what's called 'top down-bottom up' which means you can lower them from the top or raise them from the bottom. So a window like that you could lower from the top and still have the bottom part covered so you could have light but still have privacy. I have had mine for years and still love them and they're still in great shape.
Cath
zone 5b

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2007, 06:59:24 AM »
My mistake.  I wasn't visualizing these correctly.  I was thinking "slats" which I didn't want.  I've seen pictures of these styles and they are nice.  They are also far more expensive than what I figure I can spend though so I don't know how realistic it would be to have them.  For a window of this type does it have to be one big blind or is there a way to have, say, two or three lined up?

Bart

Offline EagleEye

• Members
  • zone 5, Sauk City, WI
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2007, 07:08:41 AM »
Bart,
You can buy these at your local home depot or equivalant store, and they will cut to length, and they are NOT expensive. but they are very good looking and conserve energy.

Steve

Offline Bartman

• Members
    • View Profile
    • Bart's World
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2007, 07:59:12 AM »
Do you have a link that shows these blinds?

I still must not have the right idea.  I was just talking to someone about these last week and she said how nice they were, but very expensive.  I think we are not on the same page so to speak.  These do interest me a lot if I'm not going to have to break my budget.

Bart

Offline livetogarden

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2007, 09:12:08 AM »
Bart,
  This is a pretty good picture of them.
http://www.blinds.com/control/product/productID,8637
I don't know anything about this company it just happened to be the best close-up pic I could find. If you have Home Depot or Lowe's they usually have them at pretty good prices.
Cath
zone 5b

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"