Author Topic: Where Do You Buy Your Pond Tabs?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Trade Count: (13)
  • Members
  • With us since: 19/07/2008
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Where Do You Buy Your Pond Tabs?
« on: June 26, 2012, 09:16:06 AM »
Was wondering where everyone else buys their pond tabs...its getting pricey. The Osmocote and generic versions of osmocote are also getting pricey...and I have a lot of lillies to repot.

My next female cat will be called "Whata Lily"!

Offline SueSTx

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Members
  • With us since: 11/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
Re: Where Do You Buy Your Pond Tabs?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 09:22:13 AM »
The last two years, I ordered from AAA pond supply.  Postage is what eats you alive so decide what all you need for the ponding season and try to order everything early.

This year I ordered the full season tabs and some plants are going like gang busters and some are slow like usual.  I enjoy not having to pull the pots every 2 to 4 weeks to refertilize.  I like to add the tabs when I divide early in the season.

Offline LynneNY

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Members
  • With us since: 30/06/2009
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:53 AM »
I buy Jobes tomato spikes at Christmas Tree Shops. Don't let the name fool you - it's a year round store with lots of gardening items as well as a variety of other things.

My lilies have been blooming non-stop so far, and that's all I use. I put 4-5 spikes in each pot a few times during the summer. I think the cost for 18 in a package is around $1.60 there.

Offline jimr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:14:32 PM »
The best price I have found is AAA Pond Supply.
I buy 3 - 100 tabs bags at a time for $25.47 plus $9.95 shipping
http://www.aaapondsupply.com/_store/Display_Products.asp?prodID=8GT01-8GT14

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 03:58:50 PM »
Thanks for the input everyone.

Offline tranquility

• Trade Count: (72)
  • Members
  • With us since: 10/08/2006
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 10:53:13 AM »
I stopped using the tabs several years ago--they also seem to fall apart in the bottle on me...now I use Osmocote or the equivalent of that...any of the time released ones that look like little tank bb's...I take two fingers and put a hole in the soil and add 1 tbs. of osmocote then cover the hole back up...I use 1 tbs. per gallon of soil....usually only have to use it once a season but, at the most twice...
Lawanna
Life is too short...... Live, Love, Laugh !!!!

Oklahoma-45 min. from Ganderville
Zone 7a :)

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 04:38:16 PM »
I stopped using the tabs several years ago--they also seem to fall apart in the bottle on me...now I use Osmocote or the equivalent of that...any of the time released ones that look like little tank bb's...I take two fingers and put a hole in the soil and add 1 tbs. of osmocote then cover the hole back up...I use 1 tbs. per gallon of soil....usually only have to use it once a season but, at the most twice...
Lawanna

That's interesting, didn't know they could fall apart in the bottle...was thinking of stocking up, but now not so sure if they fall apart like that.  You don't get the little pellets free floating out of the soil and floating on the water surface that way?  I had thought of stocking balls with osmocote or equivalent, just don't have that many old stockings :)

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »
The tabs seem to 'draw' moisture' the second year for me and become soft.  I try to only buy the amount I need for one year.

I do like to convience of only fertilixing once a season.  Pulling the pots when the stems have gotten all entwined is a pain for me.

Offline jimr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Members
  • With us since: 12/07/2010
    YearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYearsYears
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 06:20:04 PM »
I have had a problem with RIMM Tabs falling apart but this is the 3rd year I've used the Aquatic Tabs and have had no problem with them breaking up.Buy the 25 tab or 100 tab packages and don't open them untill needed.

I don't pull the plants anymore to fertilize them. I put a 2 x12 plank across the pond and crawl out on the plank to fetirlize all the plants in the pond. I just push my finger deep in the soil and then push a tab into the hole.

The one problem with Osmocote is when the water get hot Osmocote releases all at once instead of time releasing. I can't remember exactly what tempture that happen at though.

Just what I've found works for me.

Offline SueSTx

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2012, 07:42:55 PM »
LOL @jim...I'm fond of both my feet staying on terra firma.

I'd fall in for sure

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 02:41:23 PM »
Thanks for the feedback  :)

Offline frogman3

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Members
  • With us since: 21/05/2008
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 06:48:23 PM »
My local Christmas Tree shop does not carry the jobes spikes and Ace is wanting 3.99 per package this year. Found them at Menards in different packaging same formula and strength but cost was only 1.98 ea cleaned them out.  8-)~

Offline Lynne22

• Members
  • I love Green Anoles!
  • With us since: 25/06/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2012, 07:44:08 AM »
Lawanna

They started to fall apart on me as well. I use the PondCare Plant food tablets, and what I have found is, that if I take the bag outside, it gets humidity/moisture in the bag, I close it up, and the next time I go to use them, they disintegrate in my hand with little pressure. I don't take the bag outside anymore, and it's no longer an issue. Humidity takes a toll on them, which never occurred to me before this year. (Probably because they were designed to dissolve in water :doh:)But, I put the soft ones on a plate for about 4 days, and they dried out, and took a lot more pressure to make them fall apart. Almost as good as new. I also use a single layer of paper towel (peel the layers apart) and wrap the tabs in that before I shove them in the dirt. It keeps them in place and no residue escapes. I cut the paper towel in small squares, enough to roll the tab a couple of times, then fold over the top. about a 3"X3" square. The goodness still gets to the plant- or so I think?- haven't seen anything to suggest that they are not absorbing the food.

Offline dbayou

• Members
  • With us since: 28/11/2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 05:36:01 PM »
Another online site is http://gardenlink.com They offer the AgSafe products (and Pond-Pearls) and a 'generic' Highland Rim tab formulation. Free shipping on $30+.

You can check Home Depot or Amazon for the Dynamite 13-13-13 slow release fertilizer which is basically Nutricote 270. Your local Home Depot may not carry this product in the store. For the Nutricote 360 formula, head to the Aquascape web site.

Offline greenthumbnails

• Members
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2012, 03:27:14 AM »
A lot of good information and ideas in this thread. Thanks All !  O0

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 
All photo's & content within copyright © 2006-2017 WorldWide WaterGardeners and it's membership "All Rights Reserved"